Lough Neagh

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2023, 11:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1709625715795062810

Lord John Kilclooney @KilclooneyJohn

Lough Neagh belongs to the people of Northern Ireland. The Earl of Shaftesbury never bought it and after hundreds of years his ownership should be cancelled. Why should someone living in England and who rarely ever has been in Northern Ireland benefit millions of pounds ??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: dec on October 04, 2023, 09:08:52 PMhttps://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1709625715795062810

Lough Neagh belongs to the people of Northern Ireland. The Earl of Shaftesbury never bought it and after hundreds of years his ownership should be cancelled. Why should someone living in England and who rarely ever has been in Northern Ireland benefit millions of pounds ??

There's a bit or 'irony?' about that comment from him
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: dec on October 04, 2023, 09:08:52 PMhttps://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1709625715795062810

Another cracker from John Looney

I take it the London Livery Companies who were gifted vast swathes of Derry in the 1600's would be held to the same standard?

If so, there'll be a good few lads looking for their 20 acres!

seafoid

What is the plan to fix the lough?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Have heard of a
Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2023, 07:02:35 PMWhat is the plan to fix the lough?

Have heard of a bar selling a bright green cocktail called the Lough Neagh, so there's that.

AustinPowers

Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2023, 07:02:35 PMWhat is the plan to fix the lough?

Lots of authoritive bodies will put out   statements saying "we are looking into...we are  liaising with... we have  met with..." etc.... bullsh1t statements that mean nothing  at all

Nothing of note will be done, then the  wintry weather will reduce algae somewhat , media will stop covering  it  until next summer,  and it all begins again.

A bit like the bonfires and marching season

Eamonnca1

Surely regulating fertilisers would be a good start

Nanderson

can we not just lift out the plug then refill it?

NormPeterson

I try to avoid reading twitter posts from loyalists, it is not good for my health. It is a real eye opener the amount of vile loyalists there are in this country.

I remember seeing one during the elections from a loyalist calling Sinn Fein voters "plastic paddies" and he said "No wonder the Irish are viewed as stupid by the rest of the world". So he called us plastic paddies and then in the same sentence called us Irish. I don't think loyalists can make up their minds what we are.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2023, 09:05:47 PMSurely regulating fertilisers would be a good start

Sewage has been  allowed to run into it for years by all accounts.  That didn't help

And those Zebra  mussels would need to feck off back to their own country!  (I think I've been  following Kilcooney too long on twitter)

Puckoon

Quote from: AustinPowers on October 05, 2023, 10:26:45 PMAnd those Zebra  mussels would need to feck off back to their own country!  (I think I've been  following Kilcooney too long on twitter)

It's a shame what has been allowed to happen to it with invasive species. Tahoe, on my doorstep, has the most stringent of boating policies, paddleboard and fisherman polices (considering half of the lake is in California it is not surprising). If your boat leaves the water (as in you don't buy a buoy or a docking station), you are screened upon re entry. All of the lakes in the sierras have the same policy for those boating nomads that don't dock in Tahoe year round. Yet this year a new invasive species of snail (New Zealand mud snails whatever the f**k they are) arrived in Tahoe, posing a significant threat to the ecosystem and a lake whos clarity and sheer amazingness drives billions in tourism. What boating restrictions are in place in Lough Neagh? A huge part of this is the landed gentry that own the basin and the soil - but sometimes (and I am ready to be corrected), in Ireland our own halfassery is complicit in our issues. Florida Everglades and the Burmese Python are a clear example of what an invasive species can do to a local ecosystem.

Applesisapples

I see Muir the environment minister is meeting Shaftsbury, the f@cker who wants to sell us back our own property. Time dredging was banned as well.