Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

Quote from: StGallsGAA on October 01, 2009, 03:15:04 PM
Armagh players seems to react well to such spontaneous bursts of anger & violence.

At half time in the Ulster final Antrim also responded well to the promise of new Harland and Wolfe shellsuits if they put it up to Tyrone in the second half. So near yet so far.

mhacadoir

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8285103.stm

Rafferty now Armagh front-runner
John Rafferty
John Rafferty served at Joe Kernan's Armagh assistant in 2007

John Rafferty now appears to be emerging as the favourite to become the new Armagh senior football manager.

BBC Sport understands that the Armagh players plumped for Rafferty as their latest choice to succeed Peter McDonnell at a meeting on Monday night.

The players initially backed Paul Grimley for the job before he opted to join the Monaghan management team.

The Armagh board has already sought the players' views on the issue and they appear to carry significant weight.

The county board came in for criticism from certain quarters when Grimley opted out, apparently unhappy at the the pace of the process and also the response of Armagh officials to a number of his job requirements.

This was then followed by a high-profile statement from Armagh players which strongly criticised the county board's conducting of the process.

After that the county board made attempts to seek the players' views and the official line now appears to be the players are the best qualified people to decide on who the new manager should be.

Rafferty is understood to have received overwhelming support from the squad at Monday's players meeting.

Contrary to earlier reports which suggested that former Meath boss Sean Boylan was the latest preferred choice of the Armagh players, it appears that they are keen for an Orchard County native to be handed the job.

There have also been suggestions that Brian McAlinden could still be in contention to return to the job despite saying that he wasn't interested in the role several weeks ago.

Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh, ex-Louth and Monaghan boss Eamon McEneaney and former Down boss Peter McGrath have also been linked with the Armagh role.

As a player, Rafferty helped Armagh clinch the 1999 Ulster title and his management career includes guiding Antrim club St Gall's to the 2006 All-Ireland Club final, where they were narrowly defeated by Salthill.

He also served as Joe Kernan's assistant during the Crossmaglen man's final year in charge in 2007.

Rafferty, who currently manages Down club team Rostrevor, was interviewed for the Armagh job in the autumn of 2007 but opted out of the process prior to Peter McDonnell's appointment.

Sandy Hill

Is the tail wagging the dog? In any job that I worked, I was never asked who I'd like as my manager!
"Stercus accidit"

stew

Quote from: Sandy Hill on October 01, 2009, 05:31:32 PM

Is the tail wagging the dog? In any job that I worked, I was never asked who I'd like as my manager!

It seems some of the players on last years panel have lost the run of themselves. Shame.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Cúig huaire

You heard it here first.  ;) At least they arent from Down.  :D

Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Armamike

Quote from: mhacadoir on October 01, 2009, 05:06:47 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8285103.stm

Rafferty now Armagh front-runner
John Rafferty
John Rafferty served at Joe Kernan's Armagh assistant in 2007

John Rafferty now appears to be emerging as the favourite to become the new Armagh senior football manager.

BBC Sport understands that the Armagh players plumped for Rafferty as their latest choice to succeed Peter McDonnell at a meeting on Monday night.

The players initially backed Paul Grimley for the job before he opted to join the Monaghan management team.

The Armagh board has already sought the players' views on the issue and they appear to carry significant weight.

The county board came in for criticism from certain quarters when Grimley opted out, apparently unhappy at the the pace of the process and also the response of Armagh officials to a number of his job requirements.

This was then followed by a high-profile statement from Armagh players which strongly criticised the county board's conducting of the process.

After that the county board made attempts to seek the players' views and the official line now appears to be the players are the best qualified people to decide on who the new manager should be.
Rafferty is understood to have received overwhelming support from the squad at Monday's players meeting.

Contrary to earlier reports which suggested that former Meath boss Sean Boylan was the latest preferred choice of the Armagh players, it appears that they are keen for an Orchard County native to be handed the job.

There have also been suggestions that Brian McAlinden could still be in contention to return to the job despite saying that he wasn't interested in the role several weeks ago.

Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh, ex-Louth and Monaghan boss Eamon McEneaney and former Down boss Peter McGrath have also been linked with the Armagh role.

As a player, Rafferty helped Armagh clinch the 1999 Ulster title and his management career includes guiding Antrim club St Gall's to the 2006 All-Ireland Club final, where they were narrowly defeated by Salthill.

He also served as Joe Kernan's assistant during the Crossmaglen man's final year in charge in 2007.

Rafferty, who currently manages Down club team Rostrevor, was interviewed for the Armagh job in the autumn of 2007 but opted out of the process prior to Peter McDonnell's appointment.

Well if the county board are putting all their faith in the players then that's their latest bloody mistake. Talk about going from one extreme to the other!  Please God someone stop this now...every day it gets more painful.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Quote from: StGallsGAA on October 01, 2009, 03:15:04 PM
Roy Keane would be a good option since according to Dwight Yorke he smashes things at the half-time break when it's not going well out on the pitch.  Armagh players seems to react well to such spontaneous bursts of anger & violence.

Roy's tied into a contract with Ipswich.
That's just, like your opinion man.

The GAA

I would find this hard to believe. we really shouldn't take these articles at face value lads. If Rafferty is front runner then fair enough but i don't believe for a second it's at the players' behest.

Sandy Hill

I was told, about 2/3 weeks ago, by someone very close to J Rafferty that he wasn't remotely interested in the job but maybe he has changed his mind. I'm not so sure that he made, or was allowed to make much contribution when he was No. 2 to J Kernan. I got the impression watching him on the sideline that time that he was Kernan's "gofor". He might just be the best of our homegrown talent, though I think I'd prefer Peter Rafferty.
"Stercus accidit"

Orior

Quote from: The GAA on October 01, 2009, 09:15:04 PM

I would find this hard to believe. we really shouldn't take these articles at face value lads. If Rafferty is front runner then fair enough but i don't believe for a second it's at the players' behest.

JR did a good enough job at St Galls a few years ago.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Orior on October 01, 2009, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: The GAA on October 01, 2009, 09:15:04 PM

JR did a good enough job at St Galls a few years ago.

He did indeed. He took them to an AIF, where they lost, so he should be favourite for the job. He has the right credentials. ;)
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

The GAA

Absolutely Orior - not doubting his credentials at all. ulster clubs are hard to win and particularly for an antrim club.
also won a championship with blayney?

bingobus

Quote from: The GAA on October 01, 2009, 11:25:35 PM

Absolutely Orior - not doubting his credentials at all. ulster clubs are hard to win and particularly for an antrim club.

Did indeed, our last one in 2003 and should have given Ulster a rattle only to loss a player after 5 minutes against Four masters in Clones in a replay.

Very highly rated in Blayney, loved the physical stuff and expected commitment that he didn't get from all players at the time and why he probably left before his time was up. Went to St Galls and club where very disappointed at the time, as he had committed and started the year.

No way ref

Quote from: bingobus on October 02, 2009, 10:22:45 AM
Quote from: The GAA on October 01, 2009, 11:25:35 PM

Did indeed, our last one in 2003 and should have given Ulster a rattle only to loss a player after 5 minutes against Four masters in Clones in a replay.

Very highly rated in Blayney, loved the physical stuff and expected commitment that he didn't get from all players at the time and why he probably left before his time was up. Went to St Galls and club where very disappointed at the time, as he had committed and started the year.

Funny that, he had committed to Errigal Ciaran this year before jumping ship

under the bar

QuoteAfter that the county board made attempts to seek the players' views and the official line now appears to be the players are the best qualified people to decide on who the new manager should be.

The Armagh comedy side-show descends into farce.  Now the players get to pick the manager. 

What will happen if the players  can't agree?  Will they take a straw poll of the buckie-brigade in the Shambles? Or maybe they'll go down the to the Toss and flick a coin??   ;D