Quote from: clarshack on July 21, 2009, 03:17:50 PM
think the following could well happen:

Sat 1st: Mayo v Kildare

Sun 2nd (Double header):
Cork v Galway
Tyrone v Kerry

Mon 10th:
Dublin v Meath

How many supporters would attend a game on Monday 10th August?

sorry, should have said Sat 8th August for the remaining 1/4 final. thought that monday 10th was the bank holiday in the south but its the 3rd of august isnt it?. if so the winner of meath/limerick/roscommon will likely play on the weekend of 8th/9th august but because the hurling semi-final is on sunday 9th august, the remaining football 1/4 final will probably be played on Sat 8th August.

A Quinn Martin Production

As a bit of a romantic I'm going for:

Cork v Antrim
Tyrone v Donegal
(Cork v Tyrone semi)

Dubs v Limerick
Mayo v Kildare
(Dubs v Mayo semi)

Dubs v Tyrone final...draw!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

joemamas

Under the category of you cannot make this stuff up.

Purchased a package of "football feast " tickets  three weeks ago, which I thought would include the q/finals on Aug 1,2,3.  Well the shitty planning by "the fixtures committee" in croke park took care of the above (wexford/ Roscommon draw).

Got a very insightful e-mail this morning from croke park,

A chara,
Congratulations on purchasing your Football Feast Package.
As you know we are still awaiting the full fixture details of the GAA Football Quarter Finals but here is what we do know:
-         Dublin are in one quarter final
-         Cork are in one quarter final
-         Tyrone are in one quarter final
-         Mayo are in one quarter final
None of the four above can play each other so we must await the results of the Qualifiers to determine the other participants. We will not know exact fixture details until Monday 27th July.

While they say they cannot give you the fixture details, I will take a wild guess and tell you when certain teams will not/will be playing.

Kildare will not be playing Saturday
Mayo will not be playing Monday
If the above two are drawn against one another, they will be playing on Sunday August 2nd or Saturday August 9th

Kerry will not be playing Monday,
Dublin will not be playing Saturday August 1
If the above two are drawn against each other they will be playing Sunday August 1, Potential double header with Kildare and Mayo,

Why all of the above , the draw for the all-ireland minor q/finals has been made, Kildare Dublin playing Saturday, Mayo Kerry playing Monday. It would be unprecedented that Minor and Senior teams from the same counties play at the same time at different venues.

How could the rocket scientists at Croke Park have avoided this bullshi*. The could have made the q/final draw last weekend explaing that they needed to to give teams and fans time to plan ahead, not to mention the some of the latter have purchased tickets for the so called football feast which was supposed to include the q/final on August 1,2, and 3.

muppet

Quote from: joemamas on July 23, 2009, 01:53:55 PM
Under the category of you cannot make this stuff up.

Purchased a package of "football feast " tickets  three weeks ago, which I thought would include the q/finals on Aug 1,2,3.  Well the shitty planning by "the fixtures committee" in croke park took care of the above (wexford/ Roscommon draw).

Got a very insightful e-mail this morning from croke park,

A chara,
Congratulations on purchasing your Football Feast Package.
As you know we are still awaiting the full fixture details of the GAA Football Quarter Finals but here is what we do know:
-         Dublin are in one quarter final
-         Cork are in one quarter final
-         Tyrone are in one quarter final
-         Mayo are in one quarter final
None of the four above can play each other so we must await the results of the Qualifiers to determine the other participants. We will not know exact fixture details until Monday 27th July.

While they say they cannot give you the fixture details, I will take a wild guess and tell you when certain teams will not/will be playing.

Kildare will not be playing Saturday
Mayo will not be playing Monday
If the above two are drawn against one another, they will be playing on Sunday August 2nd or Saturday August 9th

Kerry will not be playing Monday,
Dublin will not be playing Saturday August 1
If the above two are drawn against each other they will be playing Sunday August 1, Potential double header with Kildare and Mayo,

Why all of the above , the draw for the all-ireland minor q/finals has been made, Kildare Dublin playing Saturday, Mayo Kerry playing Monday. It would be unprecedented that Minor and Senior teams from the same counties play at the same time at different venues.

How could the rocket scientists at Croke Park have avoided this bullshi*. The could have made the q/final draw last weekend explaing that they needed to to give teams and fans time to plan ahead, not to mention the some of the latter have purchased tickets for the so called football feast which was supposed to include the q/final on August 1,2, and 3.

Mayo support will travel across the country but a Monday fixture would stretch their loyalty to the limit. I'd say the Dubs will play Monday with the other games on Saturday and Sunday. Given the huge interest in Dublin it would be crazy to play a double header with them involved.
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

If Dublin are drawn against kerry, it will not be Monday unless they decide to include Kerry minors on the bill as they are now scheduled to be playing on Monday afternoon in Portlaoise.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: muppet on July 23, 2009, 02:00:40 PM

Mayo support will travel across the country but a Monday fixture would stretch their loyalty to the limit. I'd say the Dubs will play Monday with the other games on Saturday and Sunday. Given the huge interest in Dublin it would be crazy to play a double header with them involved.

Is a fixture on a bank holiday Monday really any different to a match on a Sunday?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

joemamas

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 23, 2009, 02:13:28 PM

Is a fixture on a bank holiday Monday really any different to a match on a Sunday?

Please look at my earlier post, If Mayo Minors are playing in Portlaoise at 2pm on Monday, Mayo seniors will not most likely be playing in Croke Park at the same time.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: joemamas on July 23, 2009, 02:25:01 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 23, 2009, 02:13:28 PM

Please look at my earlier post, If Mayo Minors are playing in Portlaoise at 2pm on Monday, Mayo seniors will not most likely be playing in Croke Park at the same time.

You wouldn't know what they'd do joemamas, I mean look at the way the fixtures committee have Antrim screwed up this weekend.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rocky Mc Guigan

May not now be a Monday game with a double header on one of the weekend days and a stand alone game on the other

Hound

Potentially the Dublin minors and Dublin seniors could play as a double header on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend.

I think a similar situation was vetoed by the minor opposition in a prior year, but that was when the opponets were a provincial champion and Dublin a runner-up, I think. So I'd say this could be a runner. While its over 2 years now since a Dublin game has been delayed, a curtain raiser is always desirable to allow a steady inflow rather than a big push before throw in.

Dinny Breen

QuotePotentially the Dublin minors and Dublin seniors could play as a double header on the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend.

I think a similar situation was vetoed by the minor opposition in a prior year, but that was when the opponets were a provincial champion and Dublin a runner-up, I think. So I'd say this could be a runner. While its over 2 years now since a Dublin game has been delayed, a curtain raiser is always desirable to allow a steady inflow rather than a big push before throw in.

Well the sentiment is right very few Dublin supporters will show up for the minors as evidenced by the Leinster final and the Dublin support at the replay and the semi-final.
#newbridgeornowhere

Frank Casey

Christy Cooney has indicated that Dublin will be given their own day out. I reckon if they were to draw Kerry (no offence to Antrim) they should be made go back to Thurles........................and get lost on the way like 2001.

From www.irishexaminer.com

Dublin promised top billing By Paul Keane

Saturday, July 25, 2009

GAA President Christy Cooney has guaranteed Dublin a stand alone All-Ireland football quarter-final fixture next weekend.

Dublin, along with the three other provincial champions, will find out tomorrow night who their last eight opponents are.

But what appears a definite is that the Sky Blues won't take part in any potential double header over the Bank Holiday August weekend.

It's good news for the county's huge support base who feared a major ticket shortage in the event of a double header.

Cooney also dismissed reports that if Dublin were drawn to face Kerry the quarter-final tie may go ahead in Thurles.

He said Dublin would only have played in Thurles this summer in the event of the Leinster final ending in a draw as Croke Park is currently out of commission.

He also stated that Croke Park will be fully operational next weekend despite the short turnaround in laying down a new pitch from Wednesday onwards following the U2 concerts there.

"I think it's fairly definite that it will be (a stand alone quarter-final for Dublin)," said Cooney.

"It's most unlikely that we'll be able to cater for a crowd with any other two counties involved.

"The Dubs could fill (Croke Park) on their own but understandably they'll have to share tickets with another county. So be it. We would expect that will happen."

Cooney said there's no reason all four quarter-finals can't take place at Croke Park over the Bank Holiday weekend.

"We're happy that once the stage is taken down next Wednesday we'll have a pitch in place ready to play next Saturday that's in top condition," continued Cooney.

"We're very comfortable with that. There's been a lot of time and effort gone into logistics and making sure the sod we're getting is A1 and the pitch will play to form.

"If we wanted to play next Saturday, Sunday and Monday (at Croke Park) we'd do that.

"It'll depend on who Dublin draw and who they're playing and if they draw an Ulster team, which is only Antrim now at this stage, we couldn't play that, for instance, on a Monday because it's not a Bank Holiday in Ulster."

Cooney was speaking at the unveiling of the GAA's Codes of Best Practice in Youth Sport and Behaviour in the company of Minster for Children and Youth Affairs Barry Andrews.

The purpose of the codes is to prove guidance 'for all units and branches of the GAA family in their work with children and young people'.

Meanwhile Dublin duo Conal Keaney and Peadar Andrews hope that following in the footsteps of Real Madrid's galacticos will boost their All-Ireland football title hopes.

The Leinster champions held a two day training camp at the Carton House estate in Kildare this week, moving in to use the plush training facilities just as Madrid were moving out after a high profile stay.

"The pitch out there is similar to Croke Park, the surface is like a golf course, it's unbelievable really," said Keaney who has trained there before as part of Dublin's official link up with Carton House.

"There were a few more advertisements around the pitch and Audi cars around the place this time. Unfortunately they weren't for us.

"We had a couple of sessions and worked on a few things that we think will be of use to us going forward."

The camp took place on Wednesday and Thursday and some players stayed on there until yesterday.

"Obviously there was a lot of hype about the place with Real Madrid just leaving," said Dublin defender Andrews.

"But it has fantastic facilities and the pitch was great. It just allowed us to get a lot of work done and we're very happy with it.

"It's a lot more private and Pat gets his points across a lot better.

"This is the business end of the championship and hopefully we can get in our best shape over the next eight or nine weeks."

One high profile player who didn't take part in the Carton camp was Dublin forward Mark Vaughan who has been released from the panel for disciplinary reasons.

The All-Ireland club winner instead took part in a mid week league game for Kilmacud Crokes as his former colleagues geared up for their assault on the Sam Maguire Cup.

Dublin's management team have refused to comment on the Vaughan situation though Andrews admitted the loss of such a fine player was regrettable.

"Everyone knows Mark Vaughan is a fantastic player," said Andrews. "It was evident throughout Kilmacud's run when they won the club championship. But that's a management issue, I don't know the ins and outs of it, he's been carrying a wee bit of an injury.

"It is a loss to lose someone as talented as him but I suppose we have to get on with it at this stage and try to finish out the championship."

KERRY 3:7

Barney

Quote"If we wanted to play next Saturday, Sunday and Monday (at Croke Park) we'd do that.

"It'll depend on who Dublin draw and who they're playing and if they draw an Ulster team, which is only Antrim now at this stage, we couldn't play that, for instance, on a Monday because it's not a Bank Holiday in Ulster."

To paraphrase:

Basically we'll make the draw, see what suits Dublin and everybody else can fit in around that. Unfortunately whoever are playing Dublin will have to get a few tickets, but no way do Dubin supporters need to worry about travelling. We can use Croke Park, but will probably send some of the matches down the country because Croke Park is no longer a GAA Stadium and is a multi-purpose entertainment facility. But Dubs rest assured any advantage we can give you we will.

tyssam5

As has been mentioned why the hell was the 1/4 draw not done last weekend. It could even hav put some number on the gates of certain games as people might want to see the team they are playing next. Monkeys couldn't f**k the scheduling up better.

Orior

I reckon...

Tyrone v Meath
Cork v Donegal
Dublin v Kerry
Mayo v Kildare
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians