Dún na nGall v Gaillimh, Páirc Markiewicz, 5pm, Satharn, 25ú Iúil

Started by PatDaly, July 19, 2009, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myball22

Probably the strongest team Galway could pick based on last week's performance.
You could make a case for Bane instead of Clancy if he was to be left up front
because Bane can score but won't do a lot in general play.

If Clancy swaps with Armstrong and Armstrong plays inside then fair enough.

The defence seems more solid, Coyne is not playing well, Bradshaw is not a corner back and
Meehan is a better option than Sice.

Midfield did well the last day and should be picked again. Coleman's distribution was poor but
our movement in the forward line was poorer still.

Our half forward line is our weakest line. Conroy has not played well in the championship thus far,
matthew clancy has not had much play in the last two games but we have concerns with him
taking wrong options from previously. P Joyce probably had his worst game for Galway the last day.
He need him to be on his game the next day.

The full forward line will score with good ball but they need to do better than the last day.

No idea how we are going to do. I thought our attitude the last day was poor and we
wait to see if there is a response.

Kilconly SuperSub

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 22, 2009, 01:32:55 AM
Galway Team from galwaygaa.ie wasn't expecting to see this until Thursday anyway. Glad to see Fitzy finally restored to the corner. 2 changes, Fitzy for Coyne and Clancy for Gary Sice

Galway Team V Donegal
1 Adrian Faherty
2 Kieran Fitzgerald
3 Finian Hanley
4 Damien Burke (Capt)
5 Garreth Bradshaw
6 Diarmuid Blake
7 Declan Meehan
8 Joe Bergin
9 Niall Coleman
10 Sean Armstrong
11 Padraic Joyce
12 Paul Conroy
13 Matthew Clancy
14 Michael Meehan
15 Nicky Joyce

Good Team. Could swap Army for Nicky and that could happen anyway. Maybe Matthew from the bench but would have picked Mullahy instead, much of a muchness.. Probably best to pick the team early as it offers some stability early. This is as close to our top 15 at the moment playing in there proper positions. Hard to complain.

The team seems to be struggling to find a stability to get the ball into the proper area at speed. If they can do that they are unstoppable but that vein of play is coming too hard to find and is not lasting as long as it should. Galway has never played 70 mins of football even on there best days. '98 Final played for one half, '01 Semi against Derry played for about 16mins, '01 Final about 30 mins, 6-7 mins the last day... So if we can find that play and keep it we can do anything...

mouview

Matt Clancy will do nothing for Galway, bar ceding possession with admirable consistency as he always does. PJ had a better game last Sunday than many think; he scored one and set up Nicky with 3 more chances, 2 of which resulted in scores. Galway's main problem is their tactical approach. The ball should be played into space in front of the forward line where we have the players who can get on the ball and score. In spite of the half-back line being a fairly attacking unit they should be told not to pass the half-way line; concentrate on defending for a change - it might be dour but if it's a low scoring game we have the players that can sneak the important scores. Midfield was alright last Sunday, amount of possession wasn't a problem. Paul Conroy needs to improve.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 21, 2009, 07:01:02 PM
I am thinking of heading to this.

Can anyone give directions to Markievicz Park?

What direction would you be approaching Sligo from?

Kilconly SuperSub

Quote from: mouview on July 22, 2009, 01:23:09 PM
Matt Clancy will do nothing for Galway, bar ceding possession with admirable consistency as he always does. PJ had a better game last Sunday than many think; he scored one and set up Nicky with 3 more chances, 2 of which resulted in scores. Galway's main problem is their tactical approach. The ball should be played into space in front of the forward line where we have the players who can get on the ball and score. In spite of the half-back line being a fairly attacking unit they should be told not to pass the half-way line; concentrate on defending for a change - it might be dour but if it's a low scoring game we have the players that can sneak the important scores. Midfield was alright last Sunday, amount of possession wasn't a problem. Paul Conroy needs to improve.

I would have chanced Bradshaw at 15 and played Mullahy in Wing back given a choice.

Conroy is still young and is not ready for midfield and generally plays well in wing forward. Considering there is no other of 2007 minors on the team you have to give him some lee way. I think he will be OK on Saturday. Would have liked to seen more of that minor team in the league as they could have rustled up some options in the Championship.

One thing I like is every is playing there chosen position except Armstrong who might perfer to be closer to goal. Hopefully as injuries come there will be be straight swaps rather than altering multiple lines.

GalwayBayBoy

PJ had a better game last Sunday than many think; he scored one and set up Nicky with 3 more chances, 2 of which resulted in scores.

PJ had one of his quieter games against Mayo but he still set up a few scores. In the first half he floated a brilliant pass over the head of the Mayo full-back which Nicky caught in behind him. Unfortunately Nicky stumbled and fell as he was turning. Had he kept his feet he would have had a one on one with the keeper.

Surprising to see the team named so early but on paper at least it seems to be set out better than any of the games so far. Fitzy in a no brainer. Deccie probably did enough good the last day to warrant keeping his place. Bergin restored to midfield. Probably need a bit more from our half-forward line this week. Paul Conroy has suffered from second season syndrome a little this year but young players like him are always vulverable to inconsistent form until they mature fully. I'm presuming Mattie will swap with Armstrong. Mattie is a great man to win ball but he also gives it away far too easily. Usually he just bamboozles himself rather than the opposition doing anything to dispossess him.

Kilconly SuperSub

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 22, 2009, 03:32:02 PM
PJ had a better game last Sunday than many think; he scored one and set up Nicky with 3 more chances, 2 of which resulted in scores.

PJ had one of his quieter games against Mayo but he still set up a few scores. In the first half he floated a brilliant pass over the head of the Mayo full-back which Nicky caught in behind him. Unfortunately Nicky stumbled and fell as he was turning. Had he kept his feet he would have had a one on one with the keeper.

Surprising to see the team named so early but on paper at least it seems to be set out better than any of the games so far. Fitzy in a no brainer. Deccie probably did enough good the last day to warrant keeping his place. Bergin restored to midfield. Probably need a bit more from our half-forward line this week. Paul Conroy has suffered from second season syndrome a little this year but young players like him are always vulverable to inconsistent form until they mature fully. I'm presuming Mattie will swap with Armstrong. Mattie is a great man to win ball but he also gives it away far too easily. Usually he just bamboozles himself rather than the opposition doing anything to dispossess him.

Don't think you can play Nicky, Meehan and Armstrong in the same full forward line. Who plays 13? Meehan really suffers out side the full forward. And the other two really play 15...

myball22

I would play Armstrong at 13. He has a left foot.

I hope it's not like the last time we played Donegal in Castlebar and missed 4 goal opportunties :(

We haven't really recovered from going into the qualifiers at this stage before so hopefully
we'll break the habit this time :)

GallBoss

Surely Doherty should start in goal after the first goal the last day not sure what he did in the first place to lose the spot anyway

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 22, 2009, 02:34:02 PM

Bundoran road
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

mckieran

QuoteSurely Doherty should start in goal after the first goal the last day not sure what he did in the first place to lose the spot anyway

poor kickouts. I actually thought Hanley was equally to blame for the goal - A full back in that situation should attack the ball.

Galway have a starnge goalkeeping set up in that neither of their 2 goalies play as a goalie at club level. Both play midfield, Could be wrong about Doherty as I havent seen Tuam for a long time so maybe thats changed now

mckieran

I like the look of this team, No Dec Meehan no. 15 madness. It'll be interesting to se how Fitzgerald does considering he has played so little this year, even in the league.

Coleman at midfield would be a big worry but at least Cullinane would be there to come on if things are going badly, a good man to have to bring on

tbrick18

As a neutral I'm really looking forward to this game.
Donegals full forward line were fantastic against us last weekend and if they can keep that sort of form and get half decent supply they'll be very hard to beat. The also did a good defensive job against us.
Galway have some of the most dangerous forwards in the game too so I reckon this will be a high scoring affair.
Difficult to call, but as Donegal beat us and I'd like to see them continue I have to give them my backing and predict another 1 point win for them.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 22, 2009, 06:18:21 PM

Bundoran road

Handiest for you is to keep coming straight on N4. Cross the bridge and keep straight. Through a few sets of lights heading out of the town the other side. You'll hit a roundabout (beside Summerhill College) so continue straight on and take the next exit after that roundabout (a few hundred metres up). Left then and at a biggr roundabout take the second exit. You sohlud passa pub "The Crozon Inn" and anywhere there would be a good spot to park (depending on how early you are - you can gauge by the other cars about). It'll be obvious what direction you've to head, about 7-10 minutes tops. 

Kilconly SuperSub

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2009, 12:30:26 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 22, 2009, 06:18:21 PM

Bundoran road

Handiest for you is to keep coming straight on N4. Cross the bridge and keep straight. Through a few sets of lights heading out of the town the other side. You'll hit a roundabout (beside Summerhill College) so continue straight on and take the next exit after that roundabout (a few hundred metres up). Left then and at a biggr roundabout take the second exit. You sohlud passa pub "The Crozon Inn" and anywhere there would be a good spot to park (depending on how early you are - you can gauge by the other cars about). It'll be obvious what direction you've to head, about 7-10 minutes tops. 
1. Drive to Sligo and ask someone (heard this works).
2. Follow a car with either 'DL' or 'G' plates (auld lad did this once and the man got out of the car and accused him of being from the special branch).
3. See any people in green and yell or maroon and follow them.