Ireland's Second City Denied Live Gaa Coverage

Started by slievegullion, July 19, 2009, 05:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slievegullion

Just went onto the TV3 website to see if they will be showing the Kildare v Wicklow game online.

They will be but it's 'ROI only'.

This is an absolute disgrace! What is the story here? Anyone with any inside knowledge want to shine some light on the situation? If Setanta owned the rights to these games in the North then surely now those rights should have reverted back to the GAA or TV3 and there should be no problem with us Nordies accessing the games online?

Donagh

TV3 coming in loud and clear here on the Ormeau Rd with my terrestial aerial.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Donagh on July 25, 2009, 06:06:25 PM
TV3 coming in loud and clear here on the Ormeau Rd with my terrestial aerial.

And on the Antrim road for me

Donagh

Quote from: slievegullion on July 25, 2009, 06:10:25 PM
Not for me.

You're not missing much - Jerry Springer.

I take it you have an RTE aerial and mast head booster?

slievegullion

Not sure? Probably not. Have an aerial on the roof but doesn't give me a good RTE picture so probably not.

Our Nail Loney

Don't have it here either in Craigavon, f**king shite.

slievegullion

Seriously though, I don't mean to sound like I'm going on but this is a f**king disgrace. I'm so pissed off were being treated like shit by the GAA like this.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 19, 2009, 06:57:15 PM
Quote from: slievegullion on July 19, 2009, 05:07:59 PM
Is anyone else from Belfast or the surounding area angered that we were unable to watch three of the four football provincial finals?

TV3 can be picked up with terrestial aerial in some border regions as far as I know but cannot be picked up in Belfast and I assume the surrounding areas and counties such as Antrm (unless you use some sort of super strong aerial? but not that I know of).
TV3 use the same transmitter infrastructure as that of RTÉ but don't use all the sites available. The main (only?) TV transmitter that can be received in Belfast is the Clermont Carn transmitter in Co. Louth and this carries not only RTÉ 1 and 2, but also TV3 and TG4, reception varies in different parts of the city & greater area from completely dead to fine on an indoor aerial on an upstairs bedroom.

If you are able to receive RTÉ1, RTÉ2 and TG4 terrestrially in the city (not just TG4), then TV3 is also available, it needs to be tuned into UHF channel 66 or E66, if it asks for an actual frequency it is 831.25MHz.

QuoteSetanta was carrying this coverage until its recent collapse, even then you were only able to watch the games if you were a setanta subscriber.

I think this is wholly unacceptable that many Ulster Gaels have been denied the chance to watch these games live. Blame for this must be placed squarely with the GAA. They should ensure when selling TV rights that the broadcaster has the ability to provide the coverage to the whole county and on a free basis.
TV3 officially only cover 85% of the population of the Republic in the first place with their terrestrial network, various "backwaters" YOU ARSEHOLE such as Castlebar (We get TV3 just fine in Castlebar), Westport, Clonmel, Dungarvan, Greystones, Listowel, Letterkenny and Monaghan just to mention some are not officially covered. Even RTÉ only officially cover around 97-98% of the population in the Republic, which still leaves around 100,000 people outside of their coverage with either sub-standard coverage or having to rely on satellite, cable or MMDS which are all pay TV platforms. RTÉ's geographical coverage in the north is at around 80-85% though I haven't any figures for population coverage, I suspect it's around 50-60%.

Donagh

Quote from: slievegullion on July 25, 2009, 06:16:13 PM
Not sure? Probably not. Have an aerial on the roof but doesn't give me a good RTE picture so probably not.

I got a man to put up two new aerials, boosters, and cables to bedroom and living room (and he drilled a hole for my bathroom extractor fan) for about £90 all in. All southern channels are perfect. That was three years ago but I wouldn't expect the costs to have gone up that much since then. Could probably do it yourself if you have the ladders and could be bothered but the man had it all done inside an hour.

I don't do subscription services like Sky so considering we there is no license fee or subscription charge for all the GAA coverage, I don't think there is much to be complaining about.

slievegullion

Quote from: Donagh on July 25, 2009, 06:30:05 PM

I got a man to put up two new aerials, boosters, and cables to bedroom and living room (and he drilled a hole for my bathroom extractor fan) for about £90 all in. All southern channels are perfect. That was three years ago but I wouldn't expect the costs to have gone up that much since then. Could probably do it yourself if you have the ladders and could be bothered but the man had it all done inside an hour.

I don't do subscription services like Sky so considering we there is no license fee or subscription charge for all the GAA coverage, I don't think there is much to be complaining about.

What does this mean?

Donagh

Quote from: slievegullion on July 25, 2009, 06:40:35 PM
Quote from: Donagh on July 25, 2009, 06:30:05 PM

What does this mean?

That you don't have much ground for complaining if you are prepared to pay out a montly fee to Sky or Setanta on the one hand but not perpared to install the equipment actually needed to watch TV3. RTE,1 RTE2,  TV3, TG4 are all free to viewers in the north if you have the right aerial so there isn't a better deal than that. You don't see people complaining about not getting to watch sport on Sky because they don't have a dish or cable.

Kildare a point up.

slievegullion

They provide signal for channels to Louth and Donegal, by using better technology you have been able to access this signal. They have done nothing extraordinary to provide these channels to the North (except TG4). In fact if the broadcasters north and south had their way, which they will when the analog signal is switched off, you would not be able to access these channels.

Anyway my point was about the website. Why are we excluded from it?

Hereiam

Its to do with your ip address. From what i can see most of our ip address's are directed from scotland don't understand why but there you go. I think a new server base has been set up in derry something to do with this cable that come in at portrush must ring BT to see if a chage over is going to happen. I think its a disgrace that RTE TV3 ect cannot sort this out. I always say it the small matters in life that count.

slievegullion

Yes well RTE are providing their web coverage to the North just some Northern IP addresses look like they're coming from Britain so they can't gain access. However, TV3 have excluded the North from their web coverage altogether.

Have been reading that theres a way to change your IP to make it look like you're in the Republic but haven't figured it out yet.