Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

Its great to hear that B Moran and K O Neill will be back for the game v Cork. Good to hear about Brady and McDonald coming back soon enough. I think D Brady will be badly missed in midfield for the Cork game.

Mayo4Sam

Right I'm going to be the first to say it, I dont think MacDanger should be brought back into the starting 15. While undoubtably a phenomenal talent, if he plays like he has for the last few years it will take the speed out of our attack that we have at the minute and that i think can give us a huge advantage over the summer.
Can he change his game?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tubberman

I've been wondering the same thing Mayo4Sam - how would McD fit into the team the way we're playing at the moment?
There's no doubt that the attack would be slowed down, unless he gives a pass first time and the other players don't put every attack through him.
It will be very interesting to see how Johnno uses him, and how McD would react if he was left on the bench.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

let god forgive you for you know not what you say
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on April 03, 2007, 09:24:51 AM
let god forgive you for you know not what you say

And that'll be the tamest response you'll get from the banks of the Deel for this particular heresy.

To answer the question of how he would cope with being on the bench, history would point to not very well being the most likely answer.

Mayo4Sam

I would think that hes a lot more of a team player and really is in it to get the medal now no matter what

Redgreenery

He wouldnt cope with been on the bench, I'd think it very unlikely he'd be dropped, especially because his back injury could be fixed through surgery but that would mean he'd be out for a year or so and would be possible that it'd be his departure from intercounty football at his age so he is not going through with the surgery and is living with the pain by fixing it some other way just so he can still play!! Thats dedication for your county!

stephenite

Sure when he's back to full fitness and swinging them over from all angles he'll be there, I've no doubt about that. Johnno has the knack of knowing how to deal with players like McD, and he'll be playing his best if fuly fit. Mayo are unlikely to win an All Ireland without him.

I'd say a medal wouldn't mean a lot to a man like him if he spent the entire campaign on the bench, but I could be wrong

Redgreenery

It wouldnt mean much for him, for someone like him for it to mean the most he'd want to have to work hard to get that medal!

Mayo4Sam

I dont think any team would keep a player like him on the bench all teh time but what a sub to have  :o

Mayo4Sam

James Horan has named his team for the championship on the western today Certs, probables & chances

Clarke - Prob
O'Malley -Cert
Kilcullen/Heaney/Nallen - Chance
Higgins -Cert
Devenney-Cert
BJP-Cert
Gardiner-Cert
Harte-Cert
Brady-Prob, if not heaney
Moran-Cert
O'Neill/Brady/T Mort - Chance
Kilcoyne - Prob
MacDanger - Cert
Dillon - Cert
Mort - Cert

Cant say i agree witha  lot of that.
I would say kilcullen is a cert
Wing back could be heaney, andy moran or devenney
Cant see where macdanger fits in and cant see chuckie being dropped
Kilcoyne could well make way to accomadate chuckie, brady and t mort

If i was picking my team for galway

Clarke
O'Malley
Kilcullen
Higgins
Moran/Devenney
BJP
Gardiner
Harte
Brady/Heaney
Dillon
T Mort/Brady
Kilcoyne
Mort
AOM
Chuckie

Tubberman

I wouldn't agree with some of that either:

I think I'd prefer O'Malley in goal - he seems much more comfortable under a high ball.
I wouldn't have Devenney as a cert. Aidan Higgins looked more assured on Sunday. 
I wouldn't have Harte as a cert for midfield, but prob a cert for a starting place somewhere.

But Mayo4Sam would you really have AOM in full forward!? I think his chance has come and gone now and unless he puts in a MOTM performance against Tyrone I can't see him starting a championship game. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Tubberman on April 03, 2007, 03:12:22 PM
I wouldn't agree with some of that either:

I think I'd prefer O'Malley in goal - he seems much more comfortable under a high ball.
I wouldn't have Devenney as a cert. Aidan Higgins looked more assured on Sunday. 
I wouldn't have Harte as a cert for midfield, but prob a cert for a starting place somewhere.

But Mayo4Sam would you really have AOM in full forward!? I think his chance has come and gone now and unless he puts in a MOTM performance against Tyrone I can't see him starting a championship game. 

I think O Malley is the man to start in Goal.
Devenney has gone back in my estimation in the last 2 games...especially last Sunday ..he got roasted.
As for AOM...his last chance to nail down a starting place..went up in smoke last Sunday.
I'd put money on Heaney starting against Galway in midfield with Nallen or Prehaps Brady on Joyce in full back,Kilcullen inspires no confidence in me at all,Joyce would be way too cute for him.
Up front Chuckie and T Mort,Conor,Moran,Kilcoyne and Dillon. Mc Danger will be away from the game too long to start.
But doesnt all this show what great options there are for all positions on the pitch. Remember all the quality that is on the sidelines at the moment.

Mayo4Sam

I think it'll be horses for courses a lot this year since we have probably, barring injuries the most in-depth squad in the country, if MacDanger was fit i wouldn't mind him playign against galway for 2 reasons, that slow build u can get by galway and the main fact that they are afraid of their shite of him in much the same way we are of joyce.
I think AOM can be of great use against some teams, a la kerry

Like i say i cant see us having a settled team this year and hopefully we'll be all the better for it.
We can still be got at 13-1 on betfair as opposed to 10-1

rosnarun

O malley looks excellent  under the dropping ball but Clake has brilliant awareness and shot stopping ability we are well served in that area over all at the minute id go with Clarke who will be sub on sunday and rest of the league campaign ruddy still about?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere