Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

I dont think JOM is the type to take up the Mayo job just to gat elected... It seems there always has been unfinished buisness between JOM and the Mayo football set-up. In fairness JOM has been involved in Mayo football since he left the Galway set-up. In one respect it feels a little like Roy Keane returning to the Irish team after the Mick Mc Carthy setup. Personally i am delighted,I just hope the CB will row in behind him as the Galway CB did when he took over there..............Time will tell.

dodo

Fair play. At long last. We'll be well organised anyway. Main thing is for people to keep expectations with reality.

There is a good group of players there at his disposal. He will have some major restructuring to oversee. Hope he gives/gets 3 years to the job. I'm a happy man this evening.

Farrandeelin

Christ cicfada I hope you're right. It's a good line-up alright. The Western should be interesting tomorrow. It has wiped away the pain of getting hammered in the AIF! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blue Boy

Mayo hand O'Mahony three-year term - courtesy of Setanta.com

John O'Mahony has been handed a three-year term as the new Mayo Senior football manager.

Western County officials revealed their man at a special media briefing on Monday night at the Welcome Inn Hotel in Castlebar.

The Ballaghadereen clubman has been the county board's number one target since it ended Mickey Moran and John Morrison's term last month.

O'Mahony previously steered Mayo to an All-Ireland final in 1989 before they lost to Cork, and now he returns to the post with further intercounty experience having managed both Galway and Leitrim.

A backroom team of Ballina's Tommy Lyons, Kieran Gallagher, a selector under the Moran reign, and former Minor manager Martin Carney have also been ratified by the Mayo county board.

blast05

Selectors to be Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher with Martin Carney onboard as an analyst.

An Gaeilgoir

Martin Carney as the video analyst, Keiran Gallagher and Tommy Lyons are the Selectors...Finally we have the dream team. A new era begins....I'm delighted and full of optimisim for the next few years regarding Mayo football. YES!!!! ;D

rosnarun

im sure he was talking about mayo

O wise men, riddle me this: what if the dream come true?
What if the dream come true? and if millions unborn shall dwell
In the house that I shaped in my heart, the noble house of my thought?
Lord, I have staked my soul, I have staked the lives of my kin
On the truth of Thy dreadful word. Do not remember my failures,
But remember this my faith
PHP

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

MacDanger

Great news. Looks like a really good set up.

There will be a lot of pressure on the team to deliver now but I hope that we can be patient and give them the time and space to get things right. With the players we have and some of the U-21s from last year there is surely the talent there to finally win Sam. Hopefully this announcement will prolong the careers of any of the older heads that were contmeplating retirement.

Best of luck to them.........Roll on 2007

stephenite

'Tis great news altogether, BUT, let's hang onto our hats here ladies.

Around this time least year when the draw was made everyone here ( and everywhere else ) was in agreement that if we could win Connacht then an All Ireland semi final Leinster oppositon was the very least we could hope for '06, it transpired so and after the thriler in Croker against the Dubs we made the final again.

Many people seem to have lost sight of the fact that we were on the ' easier ' side of the draw last year. Moran and Morrison, conducted an indepth audit of what talent we had available in the county for the purposes of senior Inter-county football and came up with possibly two players that may not have otherwise been there.

My point is, that if the draw was different last year, and we had to meet Armagh in the quartes I doubt we would have made it through.

While the announcement of the new management team is very, very welcome, I was wondering what everyone thought of the players at their disposal? The players will now hopefully be, the best prepared and cannot be lacking in motivation, with one of the best and most knowledgeable managers/back room team available.

But do we have the players to take us over the line?

Hope to god we do, but would be interested in the views of others?

An Gaeilgoir

Valid point there.

RE; players, i think we are short an enforcer type player in the full back line a bit like the role that DOB played in the All Ireland in Sept.
Also a target men is needed in the full foward line,maybe T. Mortimor could be used in this role. If Jimmy Nallen retires, that could leave a bit of a hole. A lot of ifs,buts and maybes here, i say give it until after the first couple of league games,then the picture will be alot clearer. Last year we re-ignited Kevin o Neill maybe there are one or two Kevins out there still under the radar.Finally the one thing i am confident in is that any player out who shows a bit of form and has the appetite for the work required will be given every chance and that is the legacy that M and M have left us. We are not that far from the top 3 in this country regardless of what the Ulster threads on here say!

MacDanger

True, we were on the "easier" side of the draw but over the past 3 years, we have beaten Tyrone (best team in the country at the time) and Dublin (rightly or wrongly they were highly fancied) as well as Galway and Laois in the chapionship. Not to mention having beaten all of the top sides bar Armagh in the league (i know it's only the league but you still have to win the games).

So while we are a defender or two and a maybe a forward away from a complete side, i think that if the players around the middle of the park beef up a little and one or two lads come through, we can be a match for any team in the country within 3 years........i'd be confident enough to say that John O'Mahony won't leave the job as Mayo manager without having won an all-ireland

stephenite

You're not far off their Gaeilgoir re players needed, with regards to Jimmy Nallen, I fear we need a replacement at CHB regardless of whether or not he retires. Fantastic servant and all that and a gentleman to boot but we will not win an All Ireland with him at CHB.

The one hope is that JOM has that uncanny knack that all great managers have, the ability to get top drawer performances from hitherto average footballers ( Ray Silke !! )

An Gaeilgoir

Yeah, Jimmy isnt cut out for the chb anymore, these young lads coming up are too fast for him.....I know how that feels believe me!!!!! :D

Bod Mor

Praise be to the lord, at last its confirmed, we have our man. Looks good that he's commited to a 3 year spell.
Now no-one should be under any illusions as to what to expect from 2007, although its going to be the last year more than likely for the likes of Heaney, McDonald and Kevin O'Neill. I reckon David Brady could be coaxed out of retirement...again and we probably need James Nallen there to mould his apprentice (whoever its going to be?) into place.
Its a relief that we have O'Mahony back as manager, it kinda heals a couple of scars from 2 months ago.
At least we can head in to the Christmas in an upbeat mood knowing we have our manager and hopefully a few all stars after Friday night too.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

Reading this thread just highlights the point that Mayo supporters are quick to dust themselves down after what ever disappointment is thrown away and look at things positively again. We take the knocks and keep coming back. And I think this is a management team that we re-invigorate the players after last September.

Now are Stephenite said the big question is have we got the players. I honestly do not know if we have XV of the quality needed. Certainly 2 or 3 backs or a must. I think from midfield and the forwards we have shown that on a dry ground we have the pace and skill to trouble 30 counties!

I think this appointment has come at the right time for JOM. Last year he spoke of not having the full support of a County Board, and that this was imperative to succeed. It was a miracle that M&M achieved so much with the constant undermining of their positions. The CB took the nuclear option and so had nowhere to go if JOM turned the job down. When you hear of Martin Carney coming in as a video/statistics analyst, and more appointments to follow you can see that he has got his way and that he will be running the show the way he wants. The greatest thing about the appointment may be that Mayo football can now be developed to a position where we can maximise the obvious talent that is being produced and become more professional in our thinking.

When does the FBD start?!!