And the football quote of the day goes to...........

Started by under the bar, July 15, 2009, 10:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

..... Rafa Benitez!!

"Yes, the money people are asking is crazy. I hear, for example, that people at Seville are asking 41 million euros for Daniel Alves. That is a lot." 

Daniel Alves plays for Barcelona Rafa.

BennyHarp

Quote from: under the bar on July 15, 2009, 10:01:57 AM
..... Rafa Benitez!!

"Yes, the money people are asking is crazy. I hear, for example, that people at Seville are asking 41 million euros for Daniel Alves. That is a lot." 

Daniel Alves plays for Barcelona Rafa.

;D This is also the man who paid £17m for Glen Johnson!!
That was never a square ball!!

supersarsfields

What's more annoying is that Rafa had tried to buy Alves in 2006 from what i remember but didn't want to match the £8m asking price.

bingobus

Haven't seen that quote from Rafa.

I doubt he'd make such a statement, maybe its an old one from last year. If football365 don't make an issue of it, then its made up!

The Watcher Pat

Benitez has spent his fare share of money as well over the last 3-4 years.

And hasn't really taken any in..Unless he sells Alonso i don't think he will have any more to spend this year.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

supersarsfields

He's taken a right bit back in. The likes of Crouch, Bellamy, Garcia, Baros, Sissoko etc all made  a few millions. true he hasn't made any massive sales on anyone player. But to me that's a good sign. Why would you want to sell of your best players. 

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 15, 2009, 03:32:52 PM
He's taken a right bit back in. The likes of Crouch, Bellamy, Garcia, Baros, Sissoko etc all made  a few millions. true he hasn't made any massive sales on anyone player. But to me that's a good sign. Why would you want to sell of your best players. 

They have paid over £180 million and recovered £90

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

corn02

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on July 15, 2009, 04:09:49 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on July 15, 2009, 03:32:52 PM

They have paid over £180 million and recovered £90

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

Not bad figures to be honest, but I would imagine the figures are a lot worse.

For example on that link Crouch apparently went to Newcastle. It says Hamann went to Bolton, did he not go to City or was it that he transfered to Bolton for a day or something?

supersarsfields

£90 million recovered is hardly nothing. I actually didn't think it would be that much. But then again I didn't think they had spent £180m either!!

bingobus

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5946946.ece

Another article with different figures and comparison to United.

Look at it another way, since Rafe came in he has built a completely new squad with only two players remaining - Carra and Gerrad. So for his net send of £110m, say, he has built a team that includes Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Arbeloa, Aurelio,Insua, Alonso, Kuyt, Masch, Torres, Benayoun. All these players would sell for more than he bought them for, and blow the net spend out of the water. That is without other players that he has bought  - Dossena, Riera, Babel, Lucas who may take a hit.

I've seen this myth that Rafa has spent a massive wedge over the years and not got anything in. Its bullshit, he has built a squad that finished 2nd in EPL from a position where they couldn't make 4th. He has spent well in my eyes and if he makes a mistake he doesn't let them hang about - Keane, Josemi, Nunez, Kronkamp, Crouch, Morientas, etc etc

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: corn02 on July 15, 2009, 04:31:56 PM

For example on that link Crouch apparently went to Newcastle. It says Hamann went to Bolton, did he not go to City or was it that he transfered to Bolton for a day or something?

Hamann had signed for Bolton on a free, then changed his mind and City then bought him for £500,000 or something.

Most managers will have the same results in the transfer market. They will buy some good players and buy some not so good players and make a loss. I'd be suprised if any team ends up with a profit from transfer activity within a managers time in charge.

boojangles

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 15, 2009, 05:20:23 PM

Hamann had signed for Bolton on a free, then changed his mind and City then bought him for £500,000 or something.

Most managers will have the same results in the transfer market. They will buy some good players and buy some not so good players and make a loss. I'd be suprised if any team ends up with a profit from transfer activity within a managers time in charge.

Arsene Wenger- Correct me if Im wrong. 25 Million for Adebayor today.Another brilliant bit of business.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: boojangles on July 15, 2009, 07:02:42 PM

Arsene Wenger- Correct me if Im wrong. 25 Million for Adebayor today.Another brilliant bit of business.

Not in a one off transfer like that. Arsene has bought his fair share of turkeys in his time.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 15, 2009, 08:52:31 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 15, 2009, 07:02:42 PM

Not in a one off transfer like that. Arsene has bought his fair share of turkeys in his time.

I recon Arsene would break about even. He hasn't made bought any real expensive turkeys...And made a lot from, Overmars, Vieira, Henry, Hleb, Adebayor, Petit, Anelka...etc

http://arsenal-highlights.blogspot.com/2009/04/you-cant-put-price-on-silver-spurs-have.html

Archie Mitchell

Wenger probably about the best but apart from Adebayor and Anelka, thats the biggest net profit from a transfer. Hleb was sold for 600k more than what he was bought. Also lost out heavily on Wiltord and Reyes who were Arsenal's record buys at the time. Henry was only sold for £5 million extra, probably should have been more. Not forgetting the great buys that were Richard Wright and Francis Jeffers. Was Ashley Cole and Gallas a straight swap or was their money involved as well?