TV Games hitting Mass attendances

Started by Carbery, July 14, 2009, 05:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbery

TV Games hitting Mass attendances

A priest in Killarney has criticised the GAA for staging Saturday evening games that clash with Mass times.
Fr Kevin McNamara believes Mass attendances are being affected by the number of GAA games which are now being shown live on TV.
"Last Saturday evening you had live TV games from 3.30pm until after 8pm. You had Monaghan v Derry and Kerry v Longford in football, and then Clare v Galway in hurling," he said.
"That's going a bit too far when you think that those games are clashing with Saturday evening vigil Masses which are held in most villages and towns. I noticed numbers in (St. Mary's) Cathedral were down on Saturday evening.
"It could be that some people are on holidays, but the live GAA games on the TV are also a major factor."
Fr McNamara has called on all GAA fans to lobby their clubs and county boards to highlight the issue.
"Everybody loves the GAA - I'm a big fan myself - but surely our faith can come first sometimes, especially on a Saturday evening."

Norf Tyrone

Wha?

Faith comes first sometimes, especially on a Saturday evening?

I swore the bible said Sundays. You learn something new every day.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

longrunsthefox

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 14, 2009, 06:02:50 PM
Fr McNamara's Band

Oh! Me name is Fr McNamara,
I'm the leader of the band.
Although we're few in numbers
We're the finest in the land.
We play at wakes and weddings
And at ev'ry fancy ball,
And when we play to funerals
We play the march from Saul.
...nd Hennessey Tennessee tootles the flute,
And the music is somethin' grand;
A credit to old Ireland is Fr McNamara's band.

...in other words, catch yerself on Fr McNamara  :-*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2O_-Pn8VxI

orangeman

If they had left the cubs alone ...........

ziggysego

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 14, 2009, 06:00:15 PM
Wha?

Faith comes first sometimes, especially on a Saturday evening?

I swore the bible said Sundays. You learn something new every day.

I remember hearing that in the Catholic Church, Sunday officially starts at 6pm on Saturday. This is to allow Sunday Mass on a Saturday. Strange, but true.
Testing Accessibility

DickyRock

Surely if people can make it to mass on a Sunday then. No big deal.

And anyway it is not a resonsibility of the GAA to ensure that people get to mass.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Complete nonsense for a priest to come out with. If the faith of their parishioneers isn't strong enough that people won't miss a game on TV or make alternative arrangements to go to Mass at another time, then that's an issue for the Church and not the GAA.

Should RTÉ also suspend all programming during mass times?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

Ah Jesus, first the soil and now this. 

Is it idiots day or something?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 14, 2009, 07:09:08 PM

:D :D :D  slow news day

Archie Mitchell

So there is only 1 mass at the weekend now? I didn't hear them complaining about mass numbers on a Sunday being down with early games and some fan's having to make long trips and leave early in the morning.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 14, 2009, 07:09:08 PM

See this is what happens when people don't go to mass. It starts of with using the Lords name in vein  but where will it head up ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

BallyhaiseMan

Football and Hurling come before faith in this country, sorry Father.

God being the ever loving being that he is wouldnt want his children to have to sit through your long boring sermons,he wants them out having fun.

mylestheslasher

Its hardly anything to do with child abuse and child abuse cover ups? Nah, must be the GAA on telly. What an idiot.

Farrandeelin

He hasn't a leg to stand on. And I'm a regular Mas goer myself. There's usually Masses on sunday mornings so he should shut up about it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mylestheslasher

I wonder is it peoples religion he is worried about or the church coffers? Maybe he should lobby RTE to give him some TV licence money, or perhaps the GPA could organise a % of GAA gates to go to the church.