Cork v Galway - Saturday 18th July 2009

Started by orangeman, July 13, 2009, 01:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 01:19:51 AM
This season they weren't the better team. And they weren't highly motivated after seeing him sent off.

I can't tell though, are you acting like an idiot or just trying to stirr?

I think the idiocy is the notion that the Cork players needed to see Donal Óg get sent off to motivate themselves to win a match for Cork. If you believe this to be true then you must have a very low opinion of what it means to play for your county.

magpie seanie

Made a hard result for Sligo easier to see Galway knock the professionals out. Thanks Galway. 31.5 counties were with you today.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on July 18, 2009, 09:59:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2009, 09:55:39 PM
The priority has to be beating Kilkenny . I think Galway are better than the Deise. Less fragile. Sorry Deiseach.

Ah, the greater good. I agree Galway would have a better chance of beating Kilkenny than Waterford. But if Waterford winning were to increase the chances of a thousand year Kilkenny Reich, I'd still want Waterford to win. They're my priority.

That is the sort of attitude  many Austrians shared in 1938. By 1945 Vienna was in ruins, a bit like the state of offaly hurling today. You really need to think about what you want. Sometimes dreams come true. And then you can have Fianna fail in charge for 10 years. 

anyway the cork hurlers obviously need a few years to get a new team together. I see there are almost 500 pages on the strike. I suppose both sides were partly right. Who will buy donal og's book if there is no hurling in Cork and no telly exposure from the second half of July on ?   

SLIGONIAN

Did anyone see Ollie Canning pass in the 2nd half in mid air with 3 cork players around him on the sideline, and he hits it to a team mate. Majestic.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

orangeman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 19, 2009, 07:44:22 AM
Did anyone see Ollie Canning pass in the 2nd half in mid air with 3 cork players around him on the sideline, and he hits it to a team mate. Majestic.

Pure class.

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 12:28:33 AM
Quote from: milltown row on July 19, 2009, 12:11:08 AM
yes they were the best team for a while christ I've watched them compete many a final at Croke against Kilkenny. but for a lot Reillers the strikes have been an annoyance. try being a manger yourself someday. a senior manager and players turn round and don't give you credit or back ya up. I'd say your views will change

Annoying, try being from Cork. It was never about the managers in the 3 strikes, it was never really about Gerald either, it was a massive underlining issue that had nearly every club in Cork rebel against their CB. But like I said, most should know the story by now and if you don't understand it by now you never will. But I'm not getting into it now.

Why would you want to get into it now, especially as you've kept sniping at Frank Murphy on different threads when the rest of us have let the issue of the strike go.

And why would you want to get into it now when what the rest of us have been saying from the start has been proven, that Cork aren't the force of two or three years ago, still a top team of players, even if some of them are spiteful individuals, but below the level of Kilkenny, Tipp and Galway regardless of who the manager is.
And it was always about the manager. But no doubt you will find a way to blame the county board and Frank in particular.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on July 19, 2009, 11:00:33 AM
Quote from: Reillers on July 19, 2009, 12:28:33 AM
Quote from: milltown row on July 19, 2009, 12:11:08 AM
yes they were the best team for a while christ I've watched them compete many a final at Croke against Kilkenny. but for a lot Reillers the strikes have been an annoyance. try being a manger yourself someday. a senior manager and players turn round and don't give you credit or back ya up. I'd say your views will change

Annoying, try being from Cork. It was never about the managers in the 3 strikes, it was never really about Gerald either, it was a massive underlining issue that had nearly every club in Cork rebel against their CB. But like I said, most should know the story by now and if you don't understand it by now you never will. But I'm not getting into it now.

Why would you want to get into it now, especially as you've kept sniping at Frank Murphy on different threads when the rest of us have let the issue of the strike go.

And why would you want to get into it now when what the rest of us have been saying from the start has been proven, that Cork aren't the force of two or three years ago, still a top team of players, even if some of them are spiteful individuals, but below the level of Kilkenny, Tipp and Galway regardless of who the manager is.
And it was always about the manager. But no doubt you will find a way to blame the county board and Frank in particular.

Dowling having troubble reading again I see. First off I said I Don't want to go into it now, I made that pretty clear. And secondly I haven't brought up Frank Murphy in an age. And you're bringing it up now, though it's been clearly stated and explained to anyone who's willing to listen that it was always about the CCB. And the fact that you think it's unfair to blame Frank Murphy says a lot about you. And the fact that you bring it up now is pretty petty.

theskull1

:D :D

Quote"And you know you've got people coming in here giving grief about the strike and all that, most who know anything about it knows it was purely about the CCB, and I'm not going into that again."

Of course you weren't referring to Frank. If you were then you must have an etch-a-sketch memory.

QuoteAnd the fact that you think it's unfair to blame Frank Murphy says a lot about you. And the fact that you bring it up now is pretty petty.

So with that logic he must be given credit for the progress the footballers have made this past while  :-\. Are you for real?

Just keep on blaming every body else for the drop in performance levels and let the elephant sit in the corner.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

To be honest Denis was at a disadvantage from the start but I think if Gerald had been manager Cork would have put in a better display. Can't see Denis lasting though even if he wants to keep the job. Don't know if there'd be a strike over it.

theskull1

I don't buy the argument that dennis was at a disadvantage due to the late start he had. The 2008 panel were training collectively months before anyone else so stickwork and conditioning shouldn't have been a problem. To my mind the panel was wieghted down by their concsiences and walsh could do nothing to undo what was done.  For walsh finding a just and noble reason for the players to go out and win would have been impossible
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

Were they training? I was under the impression they were just 'pretending'. But I think Walsh was at a disadvantage because of what went on as any manager would have been but you're right Skull, the strikers game hasn't been the same since their return.

mckieran

QuoteDid anyone see Ollie Canning pass in the 2nd half in mid air with 3 cork players around him on the sideline, and he hits it to a team mate. Majestic.

Not sure if that pass was actually intended, but it he did really well to get the clearance away.

johnneycool

I hear Shane Kavanagh has a broken bone in his hand and is out for a while so that's maybe another Portumna man in the team if McEntee gets the nod.

Good to see the tribesmen go on for the win and I think the weather dictated that it wasn't going to be a classic as no one could keep their footing under any sort of a challenge but the bigger overall scoring threat did come from Galway. Farragher had a good game in the centre, playing some intelligent balls into the forwards and a great catch when Galway needed it. Joe Canning is struggling in open play and should be kept around the square as the limited chances he got he does look at his best in there rather than out the field. Waterford who have defensive problems in there so Galway need to exploit it to the full.

For all their faults Cork had their chances and the obviously bad miss by Niall McCarthy would have drawn them level. As Reillers says, any other forward in Cork ( or any Christy Ring team  ;D ) would have put that one away. John Gardiner had a mare in open play and placed balls and should have been called ashore even if he is captain (Walsh could have made a statement of intent for next year if he had!!).
Donal O'g may have played his last and although a fine keeper will be remembered for his bolloxology with hurling balls, lucozade sport/club energise and the GPA shit stirring. He may have only wanted to be seen as a bit part player in the strikes but for those of us on the inside looking in, he seemed to be into it to his oxters and relishing the limelight.

mouview

No, had Nial Mc goaled Cork would still have been 1 point down.

Nerves just about calming down now, a very tense game all through. It will all start again next week with the banana skin of Waherford lying in wait. Kav is a big loss as the defence, even without CUllinane, were really starting to bed in. Lynch looked awkward on Sat though and his delayed striking of the ball is costing him. Farragher had a fine game in midfield, Healy should have been subbed at ht. McIntyre is insisting that this is a new team which was emphasised by the subs he brought on - none of the old (un)reliables  - Kerins, F Healy, Murray, Tierney. Joe Gant must be the most awkward man ever to score a goal v Cork. Chunky is labour intensive as well. Better performances from D Hayes and Aongus also. JC remains a legend, don't worry he'll cut loose from play yet.

Hound

Quote from: deiseach on July 19, 2009, 01:20:44 AM
Quote from: mckieran on July 18, 2009, 11:09:43 PM
Why would we meet Kilkenny in the semi final? I thought this would be avoided as we already played them. Why is it alredy determined that the winners of Galway - Waterford play Kilkenny?

I don't think it is. If Waterford win they have to play Kilkenny because they can't meet Tipp. If Galway win and Dublin win then I presume Galway play Kilkenny because they wouldn't want Kilkenny meeting Dublin in consecutive games. If Galway and Limerick win then Galway play Tipp.
While that would make the most sense, I don't think its true. According to the Irish Times, the only restriction at semi-final stage is that a provincial final cannot be repeated.

So if both Limerick and Galway win, it looks like a draw will be required.