Telephone wiring help

Started by gerry, July 09, 2009, 08:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

Guys looking for a bit of help of wiring the main bt line into the socket that is inside the house. I have done a bit of googling on my phone and have found out that it is a cat 5 bt lead with five main colours. Blue, green, brown, orange, grey and 5 white wires, all these colours are solid.

Any help would be great as i am at my wits end.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ardmhachaabu

What is it you are trying to do exactly?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

gerry

I am trying to wire the bt black phone line that comes into your house into the white phone socket that is inside the front door of the house.

ardmhachaabu

I think you would need a BT engineer to be involved at some stage here
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

The Real Laoislad

If you have a voltage tester you could find out very easily,a telephone signal will produce about 50volts  so by trial and error you should be able find the pair of cores which are being used as the signal cables as they will have 50volts across them..
Btw in the south here its usually blue and white
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerry

H was trying to avoid a bt engineer. It my sister house and she got a guy in to wire in another phone but he left it a mess.

Now she got a master bt box with a load of wires coming from it and i have no idea what way to connect them up.

WeeDonns

Ok, is her original phone still working and you're trying to connect up the second socket?

For voice it'll usually be the BLUE &BLUE/White pair that's used to connect it up.

By "connect another phone" do you mean a new phone line with new number different to the one already in the house?

MadMayo

Are you trying to do an electrician out of a job??  :)

MadMayo

First question:- when you open the box is there screw terminals or krone connections!

krone connections:-

because if it is krone connections you will need one of these krone tools and you might be as well calling ur man back incase you make a balls of it:-

gerry

Thanks for all the advice but i gave up on fixing it.

Maybe sparks are underpaid and need to go on strike. Lol

DickyRock

Just a word of caution about doing anything with the by master or any cable connecting it to the outside. It is BT property & they can end up charging you a fortune if you screw you up.
In saying that - I've done it, but just want to let you know the potential consequences.

Anway - the back of a bt master socket connects to the two wires coming in from outside. These go to the A & B terminals. To wire in extra extensions you need to connect two wires to two of the terminal blocks on the front face plate. Can't remember the numbers off hand. But I'll dig them out if you want. The colour of that you connect to each of these doesn't really matter as long as you match them up correctly at the other end at the extension point.