The annual bonfire/twelfth thread

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, July 08, 2009, 04:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Walking up the Donegall rd this morning and at the entrance to the City hospital a bonfire in a very enclosed space right beside houses.
This was the norm for the area, but what really pissed me off, was thte fact that the "componant parts" for the "bonnie" (that is pallets, sofa, scrap wood, city council park benches!, etc..) had spilled out/where left out, over the six foot metal fencing and onto the footpath and road. This meant that anyone walking on the footpath had to step onto the road and walk around this rubbish - absolute fecking disgrace and dangerous as well.
Tbc....

EC Unique

I always thought how good would it be to lob a couple of petrol bombs on to the fires on the 10th. They would be well pissed off after all their work :D  Never done it though ;)

Seriously though how many environmental Health laws are broken every July?

SidelineKick

Quote from: EC Unique on July 08, 2009, 04:47:30 PM
I always thought how good would it be to lob a couple of petrol bombs on to the fires on the 10th. They would be well pissed off after all their work :D  Never done it though ;)

Ah quit whinging, its their "culture" don't you know?  ::)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ziggysego

Anyone see the Bornfire and Cultural Chairman of some town in the east talking on the news last night? Spidey looking wee lad, couldn't have been more than 17/18.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Not a good idea seeing as they normally have a couple of 10 year olds camping inside the bonfires every night up to the eleventh night (what are the parents thinking?).
Tbc....

SidelineKick

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 08, 2009, 04:52:16 PM

Not a good idea seeing as they normally have a couple of 10 year olds camping inside the bonfires every night up to the eleventh night (what are the parents thinking?).

Totally agree.

Reported.

Rois

Ah feck, was planning on heading to Rossnowlagh on Saturday for a few days but looks like I'll hit the parade down there. 

Mount Vernon's bonfire had the fire brigade out at it on Monday.  Part of the Shore Road at the bottom of Skegoneil has never been repaired after last year's bonfire spilled out onto it.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I've noticed that Tigers Bay's usual effort on Duncairn Gdns hasn't been built as yet (it's one of the ones that is so gracefully adorned by GAA & soccer shirts and pictures of the Pope). Also the "Village" one on Rodan st has no where to be built, the land is being developed.  ;D
Tbc....

Hereiam

And don't you know our tax money is funding these bloody things. Would make your blood boil.

Archie Mitchell

Is Tigers Bay not getting one of them artificial ones?

It's a bit of a joke that they get money to go towards the building of these.

Where do they get all the pallets for building these? Most of the big ones seem to use pallets which are new or nearly new. Do the companies who have these not rent them from the company which makes and owns the pallet, therefore will be out of pocket by them being burnt?

nifan

Ive no problem with bonfires per se, (though personally i find the concept of watching a big fire a bit dull) but the issues of enviromental health, and of burning anything associated with the other community is a disgrace. Local spides now see it as a competition to build bigger fires and they fire anything on them.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 08, 2009, 05:11:57 PM

Where do they get all the pallets for building these? Most of the big ones seem to use pallets which are new or nearly new. Do the companies who have these not rent them from the company which makes and owns the pallet, therefore will be out of pocket by them being burnt?

??? explain!

Reported.

cornerback

The size of some of these bonfires is unreal - the one in kilcooley bangor is usually massive & it was well on its way about 3 weeks ago when i last passed it...

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: SidelineKick on July 08, 2009, 05:13:31 PM

??? explain!

I think I seen it on the news sometime last year. Something like a pyramid shape made out of metal with artifical light to replace the flame or something stupid like that.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 08, 2009, 05:15:46 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on July 08, 2009, 05:13:31 PM

??? explain!

I think I seen it on the news sometime last year. Something like a pyramid shape made out of metal with artifical light to replace the flame or something stupid like that.

:D that would be brilliant!

Reported.