2009 Ashes

Started by lob her in lad, July 08, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lob her in lad

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 08, 2009, 09:27:47 PM
Quote from: fer fox ache on July 08, 2009, 04:17:34 PM
Not many of us GAA head will admit to a love of cricket but I'm a big fan. Was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Saturday of the Lords test in 2005, an absolutely super day out.
C'mon Strayla!

You were going rightly to the last bit ;)

jasus I couldn't stomach seeing the English win at anything I'd nearly rather see Dublin win Sam.
As Tommy Tiernan said 'we love to see the English lose at sports and war and stuff'.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Mr. Nakata

I'll be cheering on England and I'm sure I'll not be the only one. Cricket is the only sport I like to see England do well in. I hope they reclaim the Ashes. McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lee were all at the top of their game in 2005, so for England to win that series was truly momentous. In saying that McGrath trod on a cricket ball in the warm up for the second test that year and injured himself. That got the pommies right back in the series. This guy Mitchell Johnson looks a decent bowler, but not a patch on those guys in '05, who were legends. England to win it. Just.

magpie seanie

I feel a bit dirty about it but I'm supporting England at the moment. I may switch sides depending on how its going. Think it could be a very good series. Neither side at 2005 level but probably very clos in terms of ability. Even today things swung a few times in terms of who were in the better position. Aussies just shade it now with the 7 wickets as England will want to get to 400. Probably won't now.

Yes I Would

Bowlers struggling with England tail here.. 403-8.

Declan

Hope England win just cos the Aussies and their press are even worse if that's possible!!!

Yes I Would

I cant agree with that. I hope England are stuffed, although feel England will take the series again 2-1.

David McKeown

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 08, 2009, 10:55:54 PM
I'll be cheering on England and I'm sure I'll not be the only one. Cricket is the only sport I like to see England do well in. I hope they reclaim the Ashes. McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Ponting, Lee were all at the top of their game in 2005, so for England to win that series was truly momentous. In saying that McGrath trod on a cricket ball in the warm up for the second test that year and injured himself. That got the pommies right back in the series. This guy Mitchell Johnson looks a decent bowler, but not a patch on those guys in '05, who were legends. England to win it. Just.

I have to agree with all of that except that I aint quite as confident of an England win unfortunately still hoping for a good series, I do enjoy a good test match more than the shorter stuff.

As far as sport on tv goes, I believe its the Listed Sports Broadcasting Act or something along those lines which gives the secretary of State for sport media and culture the right to list sports that have to be either broadcast live on terrestrial tv or must have delayed coverage and/or extensive highlights on terrestrial tv.  I also think channel 5 doesnt count as terrestrial tv channel for purposes of the act.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

England 435 all out which is much better than they could have hoped for before play started. Very good innings of 47 n.o. by Swann. The Aussies will not be amused.

Denn Forever

Its a pity Swann didn't get his 50.  Listening to it on the radio and Geoff Boycott was a joy to listen to.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lob her in lad

Quote from: Declan on July 09, 2009, 11:52:41 AM
Hope England win just cos the Aussies and their press are even worse if that's possible!!!

Not sure the Aussie press is as bad as the British press to be honest,

Good to see how quick the runs come now that Hughes and Katich are in. Just listening the commentary on BBC. They should sell this stuff as a relaxant it is very calming listening to the two lads chatting. I like the way they have an English and Aussie commentary partnership it offers a nice variety.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

lob her in lad

Any thoughts on where the most exciting cricket will be played this series, The Brit Oval, Edgbaston, Headingley or Lord's. Bit upset there will be no Old Trafford test this time especially after the drawn third test in 05.

lob her in lad

and thats lunch Aus 39/0

Chrisowc

Quote from: lob her in lad on July 09, 2009, 01:00:59 PM
Any thoughts on where the most exciting cricket will be played this series, The Brit Oval, Edgbaston, Headingley or Lord's. Bit upset there will be no Old Trafford test this time especially after the drawn third test in 05.

The Old Trafford test in 2005 was fantastic despite being a draw.  England needed 9 wickets on the final day and Australia 400 runs.  Australia kept losing wickets all day except for Ponting who went on to make 140 odd before eventually getting out with 5 overs remaining.  The last 2 Aussie batsmen just about hanging on until the end to secure a draw
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 08, 2009, 11:25:18 PM
I feel a bit dirty about it but I'm supporting England at the moment. I may switch sides depending on how its going. Think it could be a very good series. Neither side at 2005 level but probably very clos in terms of ability. Even today things swung a few times in terms of who were in the better position. Aussies just shade it now with the 7 wickets as England will want to get to 400. Probably won't now.

Spoken like a true United fan.  ;)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

lob her in lad

Hughes gone off the inside edge and caught by pryor.