Munster Final - Tipp v Waterford 12.7.09 - here's hoping for a classic.

Started by orangeman, July 05, 2009, 09:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Was it Willie Ryan or Conor O'Mahony that came out with this own goal during the acceptance speech ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on July 12, 2009, 09:47:28 PM
Was it Willie Ryan or Conor O'Mahony that came out with this own goal during the acceptance speech ?

It wasn't Conor O'Mahony. It was Willie Ryan. Ryan is the captain of Tipperary, but on the field when Ryan is not playing, it's Conor O'Mahony. I think you owe Conor an apology orangeman, although to be fair, that sounded like a rehearsed line, and was probably agreed beforehand with the entire panel.

awfulynice

I thought it was the flattest acceptance speech ive heard in a long long time...he was spluttering and stopping the whole way through, it sounded to me like he hadnt rehearsed his speech as he was all ove the place and just saying the first thing that came into his head, he started off completely wrong by congratulating his own team for the massive commitment they put in...no crowd wants to hear that first thing...so you trained hard for the last six months...am duh youre playing for an intercounty team thats expected!!!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 12, 2009, 09:44:52 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 12, 2009, 09:28:12 PM
Quote from: EddieMerx on July 12, 2009, 05:49:36 PM
"without the player you have no GAA"

Seriously the ego's of county players need to be taken out of the game.

I like O'Mahony as a player but what a complete idiot. Usung his acceptance speech to come out with this dribble shows how these lads have really lost the run of themselves. If hadn't been playing today, somebody else would have done centre back. 

GPA have scored anoother own goal.
That's exactly the point these balloons are missing - there will be no shortage of boys, untainted by the GPA, queueing up to play in the county teams. There will always be players therefore there will always be the GAA.

Yes and on the flip side of that people want to see the best of the best not some journey man. Cork proved that
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

People want to see the best GNevin, but do you think that if every county team went out on strike, and if the GAA bit the bullet and played the 'D' or 'E' teams that after a year or two, people wouldn't come to the games anyway?

I support my county, and my county's teams, and my county's jersey. I'd support them if they were 15 fat lads like myself, as long as they were putting in the effort. Playing for your county is the best honour I can think of in sport, certainly for a young Irish lad, and the feeling you get representing yourself, your family, your club and your county is unreal. There are sacrifices for reaching that level, of course there are, but you'll only be there for a short while, so enjoy the fecking thing, and if you can't then walk away. You know what, someone else will pick up the jersey and wear it.

You don't own your county jersey, you are only minding it for the next man coming in.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2009, 09:49:02 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 12, 2009, 09:47:28 PM

It wasn't Conor O'Mahony. It was Willie Ryan. Ryan is the captain of Tipperary, but on the field when Ryan is not playing, it's Conor O'Mahony. I think you owe Conor an apology orangeman, although to be fair, that sounded like a rehearsed line, and was probably agreed beforehand with the entire panel.
[/b]

Apologies to Conor but there's no way this was sgreed with the whole panel beforehand. Not a chance. More like the GPA gave the instruction.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2009, 12:03:24 PM
People want to see the best GNevin, but do you think that if every county team went out on strike, and if the GAA bit the bullet and played the 'D' or 'E' teams that after a year or two, people wouldn't come to the games anyway?

I support my county, and my county's teams, and my county's jersey. I'd support them if they were 15 fat lads like myself, as long as they were putting in the effort. Playing for your county is the best honour I can think of in sport, certainly for a young Irish lad, and the feeling you get representing yourself, your family, your club and your county is unreal. There are sacrifices for reaching that level, of course there are, but you'll only be there for a short while, so enjoy the fecking thing, and if you can't then walk away. You know what, someone else will pick up the jersey and wear it.

You don't own your county jersey, you are only minding it for the next man coming in.
[/b]

The GPA don't realise this yet but they will.

longrunsthefox

Am recovering from another Munster final and yip, it is all it is cracked up to be as an occasion. Obviously won't always be a great game. Was mighty craic about the town on Saturday night and a lot of boys from Antrim, Derry and Tyrone there. Liberty Square on the Sunday is something special as it the walk to the stadium of legends and the atmosphere at the ground. The first half was class excitment and skill but the goal for Tipp close to half time kind of killed the game when they went 9 up.
I thought Lar Corbett would have got man of the match tho Mullane is some man. Big Dan was an awful let down... this Waterford team is past it and should have won an Ireland alright. Anyway... mighty fare.

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 13, 2009, 02:07:56 PM
Am recovering from another Munster final and yip, it is all it is cracked up to be as an occasion. Obviously won't always be a great game. Was mighty craic about the town on Saturday night and a lot of boys from Antrim, Derry and Tyrone there. Liberty Square on the Sunday is something special as it the walk to the stadium of legends and the atmosphere at the ground. The first half was class excitment and skill but the goal for Tipp close to half time kind of killed the game when they went 9 up.
I thought Lar Corbett would have got man of the match tho Mullane is some man. Big Dan was an awful let down... this Waterford team is past it and should have won an Ireland alright. Anyway... mighty fare.

Justin realised that as well and look what he got.

Dan's brother came on yesterday. He'll need to put bulk up a bit to cope at the top. But he's young and will fill out.

longrunsthefox

I was wondering was that Dan's brother. He had a goal chance but had no confidence about him...

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 13, 2009, 02:24:14 PM
I was wondering was that Dan's brother. He had a goal chance but had no confidence about him...

I'm assuming he is. He's the spit of him even if he's about 5 stone lighter than him.

AZOffaly

Maurice is Dan the Man's brother. I don't know if we're allowed judge him though.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2009, 12:03:24 PM

AZ, that's a wonderful piece there, I couldn't sum it up any better than that. I myself can't play any GAA or any sport for that matter, but I would love to think that if I could I would be proud to wear the county jersey of what ever county I was brought up in. (Mayo in my case)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

deiseach

Mixed emotions after yesterday's game. I was quite pleased that they held their nerve when it looked like they were going to be slaughtered - Jimmy Doyle was present yesterday and he must wonder what has happened to the grand Tipperary tradition of giving teams a right kicking when they are down. But the final result flattered Waterford. We've rarely been stuffed over the last twelve years, the only big defeats being to Kilkenny last year (players froze on a new stage; no disgrace in that, I froze too!), Clare last year (manager had completely lost the players; plenty of disgrace in what followed but it isn't a regular occurence - I hope), Tipperary in 2006 (Tipp only pulled away at the end and were flattered, something we'd demonstrate later on in the year) and Clare in 1998 (another freakish game that can't be described as being part of any pattern). Once Tipp had built up a big lead Waterford never threatened and the tension among the Tipp fans as Waterford 'came back' was only a result of previous ambushes rather than anything that happened on the pitch. Only two of the starting forward six scored from play, the manner in which the backs coughed up soft goals is all too familiar and it's depressing how players who have never really cracked the big time (Jack Kennedy, Kevin Moran) are replaced by more of the same ol' same ol' (Dan Shanahan, Richie Foley). Maurice Shanahan should really have been given his head by now, which makes me think he isn't really up to it.

Still, Michael Walsh and John Mullane were nothing short of magnificent. Two players don't make a team, but they can carry an awful lot of dead weight. And the minors done us proud.

orangeman

I know that Mullane got MOM yesterday but for me the man who hurled the most yesterday was the Brick. I thought he was head and shoulders better than anybody on the pitch.