Tipperary v Sligo Semple Staduim 3PM throw in Saturday 11th July

Started by SLIGONIAN, July 05, 2009, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on July 06, 2009, 03:49:04 PM
I think Costello is getting a lot of unfair criticism on here-perhaps a lot of it to do with the fact he is not a native Sligonian.

Yes he had a poor first half but every forward was poor in the first half. He is there for his passing ability but how can you pick out a pass to a full forward line who are stationary behind their men. Consequently himself and a few others were forced into traffic and lost possesion. Second half was a lot more movement in the forwards and there were more options to pick out a pass.

My team for weekend
Greene
Donovan
McGuire
Ewing
Gaughan
McGovern
Davey
Mullen
Taylor
O'Hara
Costello
Brehony
Kelly
Sweeney
Marren

Fair comment Mano, well explained. While I don't think where Costello comes from has anything to do with Sligonians views it may not sit well with some people and I definetely think that some of the criticism he has received on the radio in particular is not motivated solely by whats best for the Sligo team. Cos is big enough to take that on board and I'm sure he will deliver on Saturday. I still don't understand why our forwards didn't attempt to show for the ball in the first half against Galway but that's gone now.

Looking forward to the trip to Tipp. These will be very hard to beat but we can do it.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 06, 2009, 05:54:10 PM
I think Costello is getting a lot of unfair criticism on here-perhaps a lot of it to do with the fact he is not a native Sligonian.

Yes he had a poor first half but every forward was poor in the first half. He is there for his passing ability but how can you pick out a pass to a full forward line who are stationary behind their men. Consequently himself and a few others were forced into traffic and lost possesion. Second half was a lot more movement in the forwards and there were more options to pick out a pass.

My team for weekend
Greene
Donovan
McGuire
Ewing
Gaughan
McGovern
Davey
Mullen
Taylor
O'Hara
Costello
Brehony
Kelly
Sweeney
Marren

Cop on to yourself, Im just calling it as I see it nothing to do with mayo. Point out the unfair criticism so Mano. I see the game differently to ye guys big deal, still think im right.  Rewarding Sweeney with a starting place and not starting Coen doesnt make sense after there respective performances.

Anyways Im prepared for Costello to start, but i am worried especially in a big pitch like Semple, I wasnt at these games so probably should bit more open minded i will say.

If you were at the game last week (not a criticism so don't lose it) you would have seen the lack of movement in the first half and the lack of options fellas like Costello, O'Hara had when they had ball in middle third. They had no options and had to pass laterally, take on their defenders or kick a wasteful ball in. Costello did well second half when there was a lot more movement and could pick a pass. For this reason i think he was unfairly criticised.

I take your point on Coen who looked very lively when he came on but i wouldn't use the 3 small lads-he would start maybe instead of Marren if he is still struggling. You have McPartland in for much same reasons i have Sweeney for a physical presence. Hopefully he has put in 2 god weeks of training and is sharper for this game.

On another point we only used 3 subs last week. On such a warm energy sapping day its ususual we didn't use the full quota - did the manager not have enough faith in his bench in the final few minutes?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2009, 10:49:05 AM

My team for weekend
Greene
Donovan
McGuire
Ewing
Gaughan
McGovern
Davey
Mullen
Taylor
O'Hara
Costello
Brehony
Kelly
Sweeney
Marren

Fair comment Mano, well explained. While I don't think where Costello comes from has anything to do with Sligonians views it may not sit well with some people and I definetely think that some of the criticism he has received on the radio in particular is not motivated solely by whats best for the Sligo team. Cos is big enough to take that on board and I'm sure he will deliver on Saturday. I still don't understand why our forwards didn't attempt to show for the ball in the first half against Galway but that's gone now.

Looking forward to the trip to Tipp. These will be very hard to beat but we can do it.

Fair enough points lads, if that was the case, it sits fine with me that he is from mayo. As long as he does a good job for us I dont care where hes from so that comment riled me. What are they saying on the radio, is it ex players or just general public saying it?

In terms of showing for the ball as a forward, I hope ye dont mean out in front lads because that day is over. It makes the job of the defender so easy if the supply coming in is that obvious. The defender can stay in front but i always vary my runs and keep him guessing but im totally reliant on the quality of supply, even standing behind my marker i expect the supply to come in over him when its obvious. What exactly do ye mean by not showing as its impossible to see this on tv?

We need somone physical alright Mano but im sick and tired of poor performances getting rewarded, what message would send to lads on the bench if sweeney started, jees play rubbish and get started. Seanie said McPartlands fit so id throw him feck it, its a huge risk but we have really no options anway so nothing to lose, i prefer someone more physical to Brehony. Dont get me wrong sweeney has it in him but it annoys me how inconsistent he is, maybe could have a stormer the next day wouldnt put it past him.

Lads have to remember Gaughan didnt get a run the last day, something not right there, he must be way off form as I was informed, cant explain it otherwise only using 3 subs isnt clever on energy sapping days, fair point mano.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mano

There was simply no movement whatsoever. The 2 Galway defenders were 2 yards out in front and our 2 forwards were like rabbits caught in the headlights - they didn't know what to do. It looked like no plan b if the O'Hara plan in at full forward didn't work. You couldn't play a ball over the top as it was against wind and Galway defenders had inches on their opponents.

Previous Mayo comment was uncalled for and i retract it.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 06, 2009, 10:57:29 AM
I'd go for:

Greene
Ewing  Maguire  Donovan 
McGovern  Phillips  J. Davey 
Mullen   Taylor 
Gaughan  Costello  O'Hara 
Coen   Marren/Breheny  Kelly

Only play Marren if 100% fit. If not play Breheny and let him drift out with Gaughan drifting in for ball over the top. It doesn't matter if he is off form, he is still a far better player than Seán Davey. Anyone who thinks Costello is not worth his place hasn't a clue about football. I'd like some of these people who think he is slow to have a race with him, they'd get a fair surprise.
There seems to be broad agreement on the shape of the team, I'd go along with that, but Davey will probably start ahead of Gaughan. Still if it were him or McNamara off the starting XV I'd settle for Sean and we can correct that later. If Marren isn't 100% then start Breheny and hold him in reserve, Coen deserves a starting place anyway. Sweeney shouldn't be let near the team unless the head is right, and not in an inflatable state.

It's going to be a tough one to win, Tipp's defeat in Munster might have appeared bad, but Limerick have shown their mettle since. Won't be much in it either way, but if we can replicate the performance post-20 mins v Galway, and make the necessary changes, then it can be won. But it is nice to have the chance to visit the mecca that is Semple Stadium to see Sligo playing all the same.

southsidejohnny

Biggest problem Sligonian has with Costello is that Alan is a Mayo man. Hopefully Coss will return to his own county next year(he is good enough) and Sligonian can look out for the next Micky Kearns.

SLIGONIAN

For whats it worth I think Kevin will make 2 changes,

Greene
Ewing
McGuire
Donovan
McNamara
McGovern
J Davey
Mullen
Taylor
S Davey
Costello
O Hara
Coen
Brehony
Kelly

Thats the team I expect to be picked, Harrison and Marren are injured as far as I know. Not saying I agree or disagree, not at the games so should have less of opinion but cant help myself.

baoithe

Gutted that I will miss this on Saturday. Similar to Sligonian, I've never been to Semple Stadium and would love the opportunity to see Sligo play there.

As for the team, since the last outing I'm become increasingly convinced that McNamara should be dropped. We all know he has ability but if he's not willing to work like the rest of them then he needs some time on the bench. Some of the shit he was at the last day was unacceptable.

I should say that I certainly would not criticise Costellos weight if I thought that's just his physical make-up. I thought his frame was restricting him somewhat the last day and wondered if, perhaps, he could have been in better shape for the championship. If thats not possible then fair enough. My criticism wasn't meant in any way to be insulting and at the time it did occur to me I was being harsh on an amateur player.  There's no doubt he has a wonderful ability to pick out a kick pass but I'm not sure thats enough and I would lean towards Sligonian's opinion on this one. That said, is there a realistic alternative to him? I hope he has a stormer on Saturday .

Enjoy it lads, I'll have to make do with updates online. Seanie, you might provide us with a good match report when you're doing nothing next week!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on July 09, 2009, 03:46:59 PM
Gutted that I will miss this on Saturday. Similar to Sligonian, I've never been to Semple Stadium and would love the opportunity to see Sligo play there.

As for the team, since the last outing I'm become increasingly convinced that McNamara should be dropped. We all know he has ability but if he's not willing to work like the rest of them then he needs some time on the bench. Some of the shit he was at the last day was unacceptable.

I should say that I certainly would not criticise Costellos weight if I thought that's just his physical make-up. I thought his frame was restricting him somewhat the last day and wondered if, perhaps, he could have been in better shape for the championship. If thats not possible then fair enough. My criticism wasn't meant in any way to be insulting and at the time it did occur to me I was being harsh on an amateur player.  There's no doubt he has a wonderful ability to pick out a kick pass but I'm not sure thats enough and I would lean towards Sligonian's opinion on this one. That said, is there a realistic alternative to him? I hope he has a stormer on Saturday .

Enjoy it lads, I'll have to make do with updates online. Seanie, you might provide us with a good match report when you're doing nothing next week!

You can catch the commentary on Oceanfm online, updates thread on here might not be the best as its not on live. Then you can listen to Barnes the man who gave himself credit for getting Tommy Breheny to play McNamara in the backs, thanks Barnes for that one ::).

jjjshabadoojnr

Sligo's Fifteen to take on Tipperary on Saturday July 11th. in Semple Stadium, Thurles at 3pm

P Greene

P McGovern
N McGuire
N Ewing

M McNamara
R Donavan
J Davey

E Mullen
T Taylor

M Breheny
A Costello
S Davey

D Kelly
E O'Hara
A Marren

Dont know how Mcnamara holds his place. Marren must have recovered from his injury. Suspect that the team wont line out in these actual positions come throw in.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on July 10, 2009, 08:02:40 AM
Sligo's Fifteen to take on Tipperary on Saturday July 11th. in Semple Stadium, Thurles at 3pm

P Greene

P McGovern
N McGuire
N Ewing

M McNamara
R Donavan
J Davey

E Mullen
T Taylor

M Breheny
A Costello
S Davey

D Kelly
E O'Hara
A Marren

Dont know how Mcnamara holds his place. Marren must have recovered from his injury. Suspect that the team wont line out in these actual positions come throw in.

Ya got the team last night and was suprised Marren was starting, 2 weeks he was injured and everyone knows the lads knee wasnt right against Galway but ive been informed hes 100% now so hope thats the case or else id be annoyed Coen isnt starting. Coen must feel hard done by. You know people can rave about Walsh all they want but if he cant see through mcnamara he will get little credit from me as it costs us big time that mistake.

I wish everyone associated with the team and management all the best on Sat, and safe journey to all supporters.

baoithe

It's hard to see O'Hara at full forward. I'd guess that Davey might move in there. They definitely want some bit of physical presence in there but apart from Sweeney (when on form) there's no ready made candidate. Seems like McPartland isn't in the management's thoughts at all. What's his form like?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on July 10, 2009, 09:12:51 AM
It's hard to see O'Hara at full forward. I'd guess that Davey might move in there. They definitely want some bit of physical presence in there but apart from Sweeney (when on form) there's no ready made candidate. Seems like McPartland isn't in the management's thoughts at all. What's his form like?

You know through the yrs mcpartland was always a player we could rely on (that equaliser against westmeath in 06 springs to mind, the final in07) , I was informed he was in the subs bench the last day, if thats so isnt a fair assumption he is fit. So if he is fit why not give game time? I have him in FF but bring on sweeney with 20 mins to go, not sure mcpartland would last 70mins, thatd be my plan for what its worth.

magpie seanie

Quote from: baoithe on July 10, 2009, 09:12:51 AM

His form for the club in the last 5 or 6 weeks has actually been really good. He might be in contention for a sub appearance tomorrow.

jjjshabadoojnr

Has he been lining out at Midfield for ye of late Seanie?? Would he have much of an impact around the half forward line or what is his fitness levels like?
I heard that Marrens knee is in poor shape. I dont think he is a likely starter. I think Coen will start when push comes to shove.