No, I'm am electrician but not in the union and I am available to work
No, I work in construction and need to work and pay bills
Dont work in Contruction but back the 11% pay claim
These lads are taking the piss

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on July 08, 2009, 02:12:32 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 02:02:28 PM
Quote from: ludermor on July 08, 2009, 01:55:56 PM
But it still doesnt take away from the fact that they have voted for strike action themselves. THis cheap labour is a pile of w**k, they can only employ lads with union cards!!!!

The cheap labour is not a pile of w**k,some of them were led to believe this was the case,maybe they were duped into it by the Union so that they would all support the strike, but as far as some of the electricians on the ground are concered it was/is a problem to be worried about
How many times do i have to repeat this, if any labour ( irish or foreign ) want sto work as an electircian they have to have a union card and be paid the union rates. Non union sites is a different thing but we are not talking about this

You don't have to repeat yourself I heard you the first time and I never argued with your point,obviously some of the guys aren't as well informed as you are and genuinely believed and some still believe their jobs were/are at risk to G.O'S
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on July 08, 2009, 02:10:45 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 02:07:51 PM
Quote from: ludermor on July 08, 2009, 12:28:08 PM

Every other trade and profession in construction has had to take pay cuts ( and i say this knowing not 1 single person who hasn't been affected) so its a bit rich of sparks not to want to give in to anything.
As i said earlier they are right to protect their own interests ( this includes keeping cable trays and pulling in their scope) but i do not agree with them striking.

Is it not true that every other profession received their rates increase when they were due so taking the wage cut isn't the same as a electrician taking a wage cut as they didn't receive their rate increase when due?
It is true and i have stated they should have got it ( for last year) so you are talking about percentages, whether you Kile it or not the mandate for the union is rate increases and no amount of people you met on site antidotes will change that

I know that but it doesn't change the fact a vast number don't want to be striking,but yet are getting abuse from all corners..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

INDIANA

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 02:00:38 PM
Quote from: ludermor on July 08, 2009, 01:40:34 PM
But did they not vote for strike action?

Well obviously some of them did but some that I spoke to this morning never received anything to give them an opportunity to vote.
And rightly or wrongly some didn't bother voting as they have no regard for the Union,I know you can turn around and say well they should have voted but I know when I was in a Union I never once attended a meeting or sent anything back to them that they asked me to fill out,I had zero interest in unions.
You said 90% voted for strike,I wonder 90% of how many though..

Nothing to stop them crossing the picket is there?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 02:45:46 PM

Well obviously some of them did but some that I spoke to this morning never received anything to give them an opportunity to vote.
And rightly or wrongly some didn't bother voting as they have no regard for the Union,I know you can turn around and say well they should have voted but I know when I was in a Union I never once attended a meeting or sent anything back to them that they asked me to fill out,I had zero interest in unions.

Don't be ridiculous,they are in the Union so have to do as they are told,and I have already explained to work on these sites they have to be in a union,its a vicious circle that most of them don't want to be in,I didn't want to be in it so I became self employed,but that wouldn't be a option for everyone.
Thats the way it is unfortunately,they would be creating a huge mess for themselves if they crossed the picket line.
If you don't understand that and why they can't cross the picket line then you shouldn't be giving your opinion on a thread like this.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bcarrier

This union business is starting to sound like something from The Sopranos.

ludermor

TRLL is correct, if they cross the picket then there union card will be revoked and they wont be able to wokr on a union site. It is a vicious circle.
The lads on the picket have threatened people on 3 of our sites today ( one fella even got a 'i know where you live' jibe! Very few people have crossed but this morning we would have had at least 30 people who wanted to cross but didnt because of the intimation of the strikers. There seems to be a gang landing in the morning to cause hassle but they are gone by the afternoon, they are union men but not involved on our project.  

INDIANA

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 03:01:30 PM

Don't be ridiculous,they are in the Union so have to do as they are told,and I have already explained to work on these sites they have to be in a union,its a vicious circle that most of them don't want to be in,I didn't want to be in it so I became self employed,but that wouldn't be a option for everyone.
Thats the way it is unfortunately,they would be creating a huge mess for themselves if they crossed the picket line.
If you don't understand that and why they can't cross the picket line then you shouldn't be giving your opinion on a thread like this.

If the union doesn't represent their views I personally don't see the point of being part of it. because it won't be long till they are redundant anyway at the current rate. By going along with it they are as bad as the Unions- because other people are innocent victims of this.

ludermor

If you are not part of a union you cannot work on site, you cant just leave the union.
It is not fair in a lot of cases and its the same with blocklayers, most of them dont want to be part of BATU but they have to be if they want to work in a union job. And they are the most militant useless gobshites god ever put breath into

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on July 08, 2009, 03:59:05 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 03:01:30 PM

If the union doesn't represent their views I personally don't see the point of being part of it. because it won't be long till they are redundant anyway at the current rate. By going along with it they are as bad as the Unions- because other people are innocent victims of this.

So by your logic,a guy who doesn't want to be on strike but just wants to work and earn his wage should just cross the picket line anyway..
Even though if they cross the line as ludermor mentioned their Union card will be revoked,thus meaning they can't work on that site or any other major site in the country,it will also mean when the strike is over they are now blacklisted and the likelihood of getting on a major site again is slim as they won't be let into a union,so their opportunity for work is slashed by a huge percentage..
So now they are left with the options of being unemployed,becoming self employed(which isn't for everyone) or working on a non-union site for very little money and no insurance if anything should happen to them..

Or else they can sit out the strike and hope it is resolved soon and then get back to work and earning a living and supporting their families...

You'll Never Walk Alone.

INDIANA

While they put other members of society on the dole because of their actions. Lovely!

Gnevin

I thought it was illegal to have a closed shop or require union membership ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

Its the opposite , you cant work unless you are in a union ( on union sites, which all sites are supposed to be)

Zapatista

I haven't read the whole thread. I support the strike but think there is room for settlement within the demands and they should have been able to reach ageement by now. Both sides are to blame for this continueing but not for it starting. I wouldn't cross this picket.

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on July 09, 2009, 08:30:31 AM
Its the opposite , you cant work unless you are in a union ( on union sites, which all sites are supposed to be)

Surely I have the right to free association or not as i choose?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2009, 08:48:12 AM
I haven't read the whole thread. I support the strike but think there is room for settlement within the demands and they should have been able to reach ageement by now. Both sides are to blame for this continueing but not for it starting. I wouldn't cross this picket.

So you support a 11% pay claim in the middle of the worst  global recession since the 30's?  ::) ::)