The OZ Factor-RTE2 9PM Sunday 5/7/09

Started by culchie11, July 03, 2009, 10:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Quote from: mattockranger on July 06, 2009, 01:35:34 PM
Very interesting viewing last night

Couple of things i'd like to know....

Who supplied Nixon with the draft of 80 promising talents??

An d Nixon never ges into what he is getting out of it....what percentage cut does he take for example??

Ricky Nixon has a number of scouts in every province and almost every 'big footballing' county.

My understanding is that he takes a fee from the clubs initially and then a percentage from the player and usually a player/agent fee is  ~10%

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on July 06, 2009, 10:44:26 AM
Nixon came across as being a kind of Artful Dodger who had all the answers.

Let's face it, all these young lads who went ( whether they're at university or not ) are very eaily influenced given their youth. The sight of Stefan Forker being wheeled out to sit at a press conference was a joke.

These lads are being used for Nixon's own personal gain. It's his busineess and he will say / do just about anything to get a fee.

As a walking advertising hoarding for "Skins".
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: HeaveHo on July 06, 2009, 02:17:53 AM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 05, 2009, 10:01:04 PM
Wasnt that impressed by the show tonight.  Was hoping for a bit of a report on how the current irish boys in australia, the likes of marty clarke etc are getting on.

I went to the Carlton V Fremantle game yesterday. O'Halpin had one of his better games playing in the forward line and kicked a couple of important goals and took some big marks. I think he will get another contract extenson beyond this year and is in their best 22. Marty Clarke (Collingwood) has been handy this year without being brilliant and is injured at the moment. He has been given some big defensive tasks this year and hasn't been beaten. He would be 5-10kg heavier than when he first turned up and is in their best 22 as well. Begley is playing in the St Kilda seconds - St Klilda are flying and are 15-0 this year. I can't see him breaking in. Pearce Handley has been injured most of the year but the coach in Brisbane has massive wraps on him and once fit should work his way into the top side. The others are all in the reverses and none look like breaking into the top sides at this stage. 

Cheers for that Heaveho
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

lob her in lad

Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2009, 02:08:41 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 06, 2009, 10:44:26 AM
Nixon came across as being a kind of Artful Dodger who had all the answers.

Let's face it, all these young lads who went ( whether they're at university or not ) are very eaily influenced given their youth. The sight of Stefan Forker being wheeled out to sit at a press conference was a joke.

These lads are being used for Nixon's own personal gain. It's his busineess and he will say / do just about anything to get a fee.

As a walking advertising hoarding for "Skins".

nothing wrong with Skins better than anything else you can use I won't use anything else. Skins are famous for not paying people to endorse their gear. They do give some very high profile players the things to wear however. Nothing like under armour and the saturation they have gotten from giving out their merchandise to the tv and film industry. Very savvy people are the under armour advertising men. Just look at The Wire or any sports based film recently to see what I mean. A bit off point I know but just had to get it off my chest.  ;)
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Jinxy

Skins are better than anything else you can use for what?

lob her in lad

Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2009, 07:54:25 PM

This is from the skins site http://www.skins.net it explains what it does for me,

"Skins™ BioAcceleration Technology™ has been developed over years of scientific research. Ongoing testing of elite athletes have proven that Skins™ BioAcceleration Technology™ creates marked improvements in reducing the build-up of lactic acid immediately after periods of sustained exercise (2hrs and 15 mins up to 37% ), and allows for more rapid return to normal levels (up to 38% at 20 minutes). You experience less fatigue, minimise soreness and recover faster.

Skins™ is body-moulded compression performance equipment manufactured from the finest Lycra and Meryl Microfibre, scientifically engineered to provide support and muscle alignment to the smart-fabric covered area of your body. Skins™ will definitely change the way that you train and play as well as speed your recovery. You will feel fresher after heavy bouts of exercise and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) will be minimised.

Select a link from below to learn more about the science behind Skins™ or watch the Skins™ video to find out more."

Whatever all that means what I know is that it works and thats all I care about.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

ExiledGael

Quote from: mattockranger on July 06, 2009, 01:35:34 PM
Very interesting viewing last night

Couple of things i'd like to know....

Who supplied Nixon with the draft of 80 promising talents??

An d Nixon never ges into what he is getting out of it....what percentage cut does he take for example??

Recall reading in one of the papers a few months back that Dermot McNicholl (Derry footballer who spent some time in AFL I think) was one of a number of 'scouts' he had across the country who forwarded on the names of players suited to the Aussie Rules.

Jinxy

Quote from: lob her in lad on July 06, 2009, 08:02:24 PM

This is from the skins site http://www.skins.net it explains what it does for me,

"Skins™ BioAcceleration Technology™ has been developed over years of scientific research. Ongoing testing of elite athletes have proven that Skins™ BioAcceleration Technology™ creates marked improvements in reducing the build-up of lactic acid immediately after periods of sustained exercise (2hrs and 15 mins up to 37% ), and allows for more rapid return to normal levels (up to 38% at 20 minutes). You experience less fatigue, minimise soreness and recover faster.

Skins™ is body-moulded compression performance equipment manufactured from the finest Lycra and Meryl Microfibre, scientifically engineered to provide support and muscle alignment to the smart-fabric covered area of your body. Skins™ will definitely change the way that you train and play as well as speed your recovery. You will feel fresher after heavy bouts of exercise and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) will be minimised.

Select a link from below to learn more about the science behind Skins™ or watch the Skins™ video to find out more."

Whatever all that means what I know is that it works and thats all I care about.

Don't mind what they tell you it does.
If you like them grand, but don't be fooled by that stuff above.

lob her in lad

Quote from: Jinxy on July 06, 2009, 08:31:31 PM
Quote from: lob her in lad on July 06, 2009, 08:02:24 PM

Don't mind what they tell you it does.
If you like them grand, but don't be fooled by that stuff above.

your right about that it's 90% psychological what these thing do for ya, it's like playing with gloves in the dry it's all in the head.

Aerlik

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 06, 2009, 08:24:06 PM
Recall reading in one of the papers a few months back that Dermot McNicholl (Derry footballer who spent some time in AFL I think) was one of a number of 'scouts' he had across the country who forwarded on the names of players suited to the Aussie Rules.

McNicholl never made it to AFL level.  He was drafted by St.Kilda but only made it onto the Prahan side (VFL level).  I met a couple of St.Kilda fans last year in Perth who remember very well McNicholl playing and they voiced their disappointment at his not making it as he was some athlete.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

lob her in lad

Quote from: Aerlik on July 08, 2009, 08:05:54 AM
Quote from: ExiledGael on July 06, 2009, 08:24:06 PM

McNicholl never made it to AFL level.  He was drafted by St.Kilda but only made it onto the Prahan side (VFL level).  I met a couple of St.Kilda fans last year in Perth who remember very well McNicholl playing and they voiced their disappointment at his not making it as he was some athlete.

Didn't he miss out because of injury though or was it he had to come back and finish his degree or something like that?

lob her in lad

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 06, 2009, 06:29:49 PM
Quote from: HeaveHo on July 06, 2009, 02:17:53 AM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 05, 2009, 10:01:04 PM
Wasnt that impressed by the show tonight.  Was hoping for a bit of a report on how the current irish boys in australia, the likes of marty clarke etc are getting on.

I went to the Carlton V Fremantle game yesterday. O'Halpin had one of his better games playing in the forward line and kicked a couple of important goals and took some big marks. I think he will get another contract extenson beyond this year and is in their best 22. Marty Clarke (Collingwood) has been handy this year without being brilliant and is injured at the moment. He has been given some big defensive tasks this year and hasn't been beaten. He would be 5-10kg heavier than when he first turned up and is in their best 22 as well. Begley is playing in the St Kilda seconds - St Klilda are flying and are 15-0 this year. I can't see him breaking in. Pearce Handley has been injured most of the year but the coach in Brisbane has massive wraps on him and once fit should work his way into the top side. The others are all in the reverses and none look like breaking into the top sides at this stage. 

Cheers for that Heaveho

You been to any of the swannies games this year, whats happened to them they seem to be having a poor run of it??

HeaveHo

Swans are going ordinary this year. They have the best coach in the AFL and have overachieved for years but their star players are all at the end of their careers and suffering from injury or diminishing form. The young players coming through are either average or not yet the finished article. Kennelly going home didn't help much (not that he played all that much last year). Barry Hall's small brain has snapped for the last time and has retired from AFL this week with immediate effect. A career as a heavyweight boxer or ultimate fighter beckons. Ugly team to watch - very defensive style but have given their fans good results for 5-7 years.

lob her in lad

Quote from: HeaveHo on July 09, 2009, 08:47:59 AM
Swans are going ordinary this year. They have the best coach in the AFL and have overachieved for years but their star players are all at the end of their careers and suffering from injury or diminishing form. The young players coming through are either average or not yet the finished article. Kennelly going home didn't help much (not that he played all that much last year). Barry Hall's small brain has snapped for the last time and has retired from AFL this week with immediate effect. A career as a heavyweight boxer or ultimate fighter beckons. Ugly team to watch - very defensive style but have given their fans good results for 5-7 years.

I had a great introduction in '05 watching them lift the premiership and seeing them come close over the next two years. Your right about them slipping last year and before it seems like Kennelly jumped ship at the right time. I love Big Bad Barry Hall anything could happen when he saw red. I walked past him once nearly pissed myself he was massive.

HeaveHo

Quote from: lob her in lad on July 09, 2009, 09:55:14 AM
Quote from: HeaveHo on July 09, 2009, 08:47:59 AM

I had a great introduction in '05 watching them lift the premiership and seeing them come close over the next two years. Your right about them slipping last year and before it seems like Kennelly jumped ship at the right time. I love Big Bad Barry Hall anything could happen when he saw red. I walked past him once nearly pissed myself he was massive.

Yep - Barry is a big unit - 194 cms (I think that is around 6'4") and 104 kgs. Despite all the bad press for the biff he was a great AFL player. He played most of his career at centre half forward which in AFL is the hardest spot on the ground. He has been on a few AFL shows in recent times and comes across as a nice guy with a sense of humour. Obviously the white line morphs him into a neanderthal.