The OZ Factor-RTE2 9PM Sunday 5/7/09

Started by culchie11, July 03, 2009, 10:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

I found Mickeys point about Ricky only being in it for the money was a bit rich ... of course someone will say I'm being personal now!
::)

gerry

Tame enough show tonight. Would great to see another county manager having a say about gaa rather than MH as we all know his point of view
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

tyrone exile

That was a suprising reaction from Harte  ::)

Atticus_Finch

Wasnt that impressed by the show tonight.  Was hoping for a bit of a report on how the current irish boys in australia, the likes of marty clarke etc are getting on.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

gerry

Over them next two shows we should see a bit better insight. Nice to see nixon getting a few welcoming emails from ireland
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

thebandit

An arrogant so and so whose roadshow shouldn't have been let into a proud GAA ground. Why haven't more questions been asked re: Breffni Park? Did they pay rent?

HeaveHo

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 05, 2009, 10:01:04 PM
Wasnt that impressed by the show tonight.  Was hoping for a bit of a report on how the current irish boys in australia, the likes of marty clarke etc are getting on.

I went to the Carlton V Fremantle game yesterday. O'Halpin had one of his better games playing in the forward line and kicked a couple of important goals and took some big marks. I think he will get another contract extenson beyond this year and is in their best 22. Marty Clarke (Collingwood) has been handy this year without being brilliant and is injured at the moment. He has been given some big defensive tasks this year and hasn't been beaten. He would be 5-10kg heavier than when he first turned up and is in their best 22 as well. Begley is playing in the St Kilda seconds - St Klilda are flying and are 15-0 this year. I can't see him breaking in. Pearce Handley has been injured most of the year but the coach in Brisbane has massive wraps on him and once fit should work his way into the top side. The others are all in the reverses and none look like breaking into the top sides at this stage. 

PatDaly

supersub

Thought it was an interesting first programme, your man Nixon does sound like a dodgy dealer alright but its up to the lads themselves at the end of the day whether they choose to go or not! I also thought there would have been more about Martin Clarke on the programme, but clearly this is in future episodes. It pains me that our best attacking talent is over in Oz when we need him so evidently to spear the down attack with coulter and hughes!!

rrhf

Listen this is going to happen and its a free world.  However I agree with Mickey in that its facilitation ie the Intel rules series and the loaning of grounds should be halted, theres as much a right to play soccor on it as Australian rule,  a man who piles potential professional footbllers like that into a cheap overcrowded minibus is cutting corners, if you are going to act the professional Ricky be professional about the way you do it.  Let him do what he wants, some will always go, some will always stay,  the GAA will always be amateur.  At least these guys will have the balls to travel and try out professional sports rather than want to stay at home and try and become professional playing at their hobbies.  In what other country in the world would a hurler want or beleive he has a chance to be professional? The fact that Aisaka O HLpin went and came back brings a lot of credit on him in my opinion.  But if we atre being honest, very few of our intercounty players could make it as professionals.  This man came back and walked staright into an intercounty hurling team but couldnt make a professional sports team after training with them for 3 years.  That is another very important reason as to why they should never get a sniff of money into the players of the GAA might dedicate themselves a lot, but they are certainly not professionals and whilst they might not realise it or appreciate it it sets them apart as pure sportsmen.

sam03/05

I thought Nixon came across as a bit of an arogant p***k.
I can see why a lot of young players Tommy Walsh/ Kyle Coney etc wanted nothing to do with him.

orangeman

Nixon came across as being a kind of Artful Dodger who had all the answers.

Let's face it, all these young lads who went ( whether they're at university or not ) are very eaily influenced given their youth. The sight of Stefan Forker being wheeled out to sit at a press conference was a joke.

These lads are being used for Nixon's own personal gain. It's his busineess and he will say / do just about anything to get a fee.

mattockranger

Very interesting viewing last night

Couple of things i'd like to know....

Who supplied Nixon with the draft of 80 promising talents??

An d Nixon never ges into what he is getting out of it....what percentage cut does he take for example??
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

supersub

Did it not say his team researched it for him? His irish scout? At the very start of the programme when it showed him in his office looking at the list on a computer!