The OZ Factor-RTE2 9PM Sunday 5/7/09

Started by culchie11, July 03, 2009, 10:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

It is about time the legendary Carrickmore keeper got recognised  ;) 

Logan

I have no big problem with Ricky Nixon ... he's a scout, a business man, he's out in the open and like him or not he's not hiding anything. I actually have far more respect for him than many others

What many don't realize is that there are plenty of other 'scouts' out there (some very high profile people, in the media, higher education and elsewhere who you all know) who are passing on information to AFL clubs and not being open about it.

It's better the devil you know ...

As for the AFL being a threat - nonsense. 7 - 10 lads? That's nothing.
From a sporting context Rugby is a bigger threat and soccer too - from a lifestyle context the local pub takes more players than the rest put together.

The number of players lost to AFL compared to the other sports is miniscule, but hyped far greater, so it's of no real concern personally.
Good luck to them.

INDIANA

Quote from: Logan on July 04, 2009, 11:43:37 AM
I have no big problem with Ricky Nixon ... he's a scout, a business man, he's out in the open and like him or not he's not hiding anything. I actually have far more respect for him than many others

What many don't realize is that there are plenty of other 'scouts' out there (some very high profile people, in the media, higher education and elsewhere who you all know) who are passing on information to AFL clubs and not being open about it.

It's better the devil you know ...

As for the AFL being a threat - nonsense. 7 - 10 lads? That's nothing.
From a sporting context Rugby is a bigger threat and soccer too - from a lifestyle context the local pub takes more players than the rest put together.

The number of players lost to AFL compared to the other sports is miniscule, but hyped far greater, so it's of no real concern personally.
Good luck to them.

Like holding unauthorised trials in grounds he had no permission to use? Some of you guys are priceless.

JMohan

You're talking about Breffini park?

If I remember correctly .... didn't good old Nicholas not leave the gate open for him on that occasion?

Maybe he was even there with him! There's not too many places you can get into easily - but Breffini park? com'on that was a cover up there!
;D

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 04, 2009, 12:03:03 PM

If I remember correctly .... didn't good old Nicholas not leave the gate open for him on that occasion?

Maybe he was even there with him! There's not too many places you can get into easily - but Breffini park? com'on that was a cover up there!
;D

It was totally unauthorised and he's done it in other places around Ireland. Its scandalous in my view and in keeping with the underground element to the whole thing. I don't have a problem with lads going Down Under but I have a major problem with some yahoo coming over and conducting cowboy operations over here without even having the basic manners to ask people can he use their facilities.

Jinxy

Nearly sure it wasn't Nixon that used Breffni Park without permission.
Some other guy called Healy or Sholly or something like that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lob her in lad

Quote from: Jinxy on July 04, 2009, 12:43:42 PM
Nearly sure it wasn't Nixon that used Breffni Park without permission.
Some other guy called Healy or Sholly or something like that.

Does it matter where these trials are being conducted or by whom??
How many people on this forum would not have jumped at the chance to play a professional sport be it soccer, rugby or afl? I know that I myself would have jumped at it, but having played a small bit of aussie rules out there I have to say it's not a sport for me i.e. it is a bit too physical but I did play with lads who played for the aussie rules team on a Saturday and gaelic on a Sunday and they loved it, some of the lads were getting payed to play also with semi pro feeder teams such as the UNSW Bulldogs to name one. But you found they carried a lot more injuries due to the hard knocks and that is something any young lad at home has to think about before he goes out there to play. It has a higher risk of ending their careers than gaelic would. The pro's heavily outweigh the cons though.
Nixon was simply smart enough to see the niche in the Irish market and he filled it so fair play to him.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on July 04, 2009, 12:37:32 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 04, 2009, 12:03:03 PM

;D

It was totally unauthorised and he's done it in other places around Ireland. Its scandalous in my view and in keeping with the underground element to the whole thing. I don't have a problem with lads going Down Under but I have a major problem with some yahoo coming over and conducting cowboy operations over here without even having the basic manners to ask people can he use their facilities.
Looks like you're off side on this one - how do you know it's a cowboy operation?

INDIANA

Not even having permission to use a pitch to have trials on? How more cowboy can you get? I'd say you can seen his spur marks in Dublin Airport still.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on July 04, 2009, 01:26:12 PM
Not even having permission to use a pitch to have trials on? How more cowboy can you get? I'd say you can seen his spur marks in Dublin Airport still.
Don't you read the replies?

Sure the boys have just said it wasn't him ... and you're still throwing dirt - a bit disingenuous and dishonest of you to make such allegations with no proof - and in face of facts to the contary, are you not?

You've just adopted a negative slant straight away with no rational thought - typical xenophobic claustrophobic approach - Did you not get a trial to the AFL? Did he p*ss in your cornflakes this morning or something?

Be anti-AFL sure ... but at least be fair.

ludermor

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/ninety-players-on-nixons-aussie-rules-hit-list-1436244.html

Seems to be a guy called Gerald Scholly who held the trials in Cavan. It does beg the question the f**k did he get access, im sure the gate wasn't open for him for the day, he would have had to have got some permission, there is no way he would have had trials if there was no insurance in place.

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 04, 2009, 01:45:09 PM

Sure the boys have just said it wasn't him ... and you're still throwing dirt - a bit disingenuous and dishonest of you to make such allegations with no proof - and in face of facts to the contary, are you not?

You've just adopted a negative slant straight away with no rational thought - typical xenophobic claustrophobic approach - Did you not get a trial to the AFL? Did he p*ss in your cornflakes this morning or something?

You're not a moderator here so I'll say whatever I bloody well like. Just because your his public relations officer doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy into his bullshit. Because thats all it is.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on July 04, 2009, 07:20:37 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 04, 2009, 01:45:09 PM

You're not a moderator here so I'll say whatever I bloody well like. Just because your his public relations officer doesn't mean the rest of us have to buy into his bullshit. Because thats all it is.
Ooooohhhh!
:) :) :) :) :)

You're wrong - so just have the decency to admit it, move on and don't be getting all snooty ...

JMohan

Quote from: ludermor on July 04, 2009, 02:03:12 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/ninety-players-on-nixons-aussie-rules-hit-list-1436244.html

Seems to be a guy called Gerald Scholly who held the trials in Cavan. It does beg the question the f**k did he get access, im sure the gate wasn't open for him for the day, he would have had to have got some permission, there is no way he would have had trials if there was no insurance in place.

Yes, that was the guy - would Nicholas Walsh have had something to do with it?

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,