Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

The cheats are always one step ahead of the posse. The people who are caught are the ones who made mistakes or got clumsy.

In the Times today it said they are retrospectively testing 15 samples from the 2008 tour with a new EPO test. Retrospective testing can be a good way of catching cheats, though it didn't say why they were only re-testing 15 samples.

orangeman

Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has launched a stinging attack on Astana team-mate Lance Armstrong.

The 26-year-old Spaniard won his second Tour title in Paris on Sunday, with American Armstrong finishing third.

"My relationship with Lance Armstrong is zero," Contador told a news conference in Madrid.

"He is a great rider but it is another thing on a personal level, where I have never had great admiration for him and I never will."

The 26-year-old Spaniard was the strongest rider in the mountains and in the time trials and eventually beat Andy Schleck into second place by four minutes 11 seconds, with Armstrong third at 5:24 back and Briton Bradley Wiggins in fourth, 6:01 adrift.

There were regular reports of tension between Armstrong and Contador throughout the event, with the 37-year-old seven-time champion - making his first appearance in the race since 2005 - often criticising his Astana team-mate's strategy.

We need duels in sport, like Rafael Nadal v Roger Federer or Bernard Hinault v Greg LeMond

Tour organiser Christian Prudhomme
Contador admitted relations between the two were strained throughout.

"The situation was tense and delicate because the relationship between myself and Lance extended to the rest of the staff," he said.

"On this Tour, the days in the hotel were harder than the those on the road."

Contador, who missed last year's Tour after Astana were not invited because of their past doping record, refused to be drawn on his future but it seems unlikely to lie with Astana.

"We'll have to see what happens," he said. "I don't know where I will go but it will clearly be with a team that is 100% behind me."

Armstrong had earlier hailed his team-mate's abilities, claiming Contador is so good the Spaniard would have beaten him in his own heyday.

"I think this year's performance would have beaten my performances in 2001, 2004 and 2005," said Armstrong.

There is no love lost between Contador and Armstrong out of the saddle
"Contador is that good, so I don't see how I would have been higher than that, even in the other years."

With Armstrong set to return to the Tour next year with his new Team RadioShack, the two will no longer have to hide their rivalry amid the constraints of being team-mates.

Race organiser Christian Prudhomme is among those relishing the prospect of another vintage race in 2010.

"We need duels in sport, like Rafael Nadal v Roger Federer or Bernard Hinault v Greg LeMond," he said.

"We haven't decided which teams will be invited next year but, looking ahead, a team with Contador, another with Armstrong and another one with the Schleck brothers (Andy and Frank) would be sensational."

Andy Schleck, the younger of the Luxembourg brothers who twice previously won the Tour's white jersey awarded to its best rider under 25, has already sent Contador a warning.

"I'm coming back to take the yellow jersey," said the 24-year-old.

"Alberto showed this year that he was the strongest, the real boss of the peloton. I have much respect for him, but next year I'm coming to win."

After a number of doping scandals to have hit the Tour in recent years, including the disqualification of 2006 winner Floyd Landis after testing positive for testosterone, the 2009 event passed without incident, pending the final test results.

Three years ago pre-race favourites Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich were ejected because of their links to the 'Operation Puerto' doping affair in Spain and a year later Astana were disqualified after leader Alexandre Vinokourov tested positive for blood doping.

606: DEBATE
Hats off to Contador and Andy Schleck

mainz341
"Coming through the Tour without having to deal with scandal was pleasing," Prudhomme added.

"There will be other (positive) cases, that's just the way it is in sport. But I really think things are changing. The targeting of riders and the (biological) passport means that nowadays it is far more difficult to cheat and get away with it."

After his victory on Sunday following almost 3,500km of racing over 21 stages in three weeks, Contador added: "I'm happy to win a Tour de France that has so far been clean.

"I get tested all year long. I make myself available 365 days a year, and I do it willingly. There has been huge investment to fight doping in the sport and for me it's a good thing."

He also admitted the race had been a tough one and that his celebrations would reflect his efforts in the event.

"This Tour was very difficult as you could see and although it sometimes seems easy on television it wasn't because of other factors. I will enjoy this second Tour win as if it was a double victory," he said.

Doogie Browser

Will make next years Tour very interesting with Armstrong and Contador on opposing teams.

orangeman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 28, 2009, 10:35:20 AM
Will make next years Tour very interesting with Armstrong and Contador on opposing teams.

And the Schleck brothers on another team.

orangeman

BITCHY OR WHAT ???????????

Armstrong hits back at Contador 

Armstrong (r) is not used to seeing someone else in the yellow jersey
Lance Armstrong says his Astana team-mate Alberto Contador has "lots to learn" after the pair's strained relationship finally boiled over.

Contador won his second Tour de France title in Paris on Sunday, with seven-time winner Armstrong finishing in an unfamiliar third.

The 26-year-old said: "My relationship with Lance Armstrong is zero."

But Armstrong countered: "If I were him I'd drop this drivel and thank his team. Without them he doesn't win."

Contador admitted relations between the two were awkward throughout the three-week Tour, with neither prepared to settle for second billing until the Spaniard proved his superiority in the mountains.

"The situation was tense and delicate because the relationship between myself and Lance extended to the rest of the staff," he said.

"On this Tour, the days in the hotel were harder than the those on the road.

We need duels in sport, like Rafael Nadal v Roger Federer or Bernard Hinault v Greg LeMond

"He is a great rider but it is another thing on a personal level, where I have never had great admiration for him and I never will."

Armstrong will return to the Tour next year with a new team, Radio Shack, and the rivalry between the two promises to be spicy after the veneer of unity was soon removed at the end of the race.

"A champion is also measured on how much he respect his teammates and opponents," wrote Armstrong on his Twitter feed.

"There is no 'i' in 'team'. What did I say in March? Lots to learn. Restated."

Puckoon

"hey pistolero, there is no "I" in team"

attaboy lance.

Joxer

Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2009, 12:31:54 PM

Who is he talking about here?  Contador or Armastrong?

Dont be suprised to see the Schelks with Armstrong next year Orangeman

orangeman

Quote from: Joxer on July 28, 2009, 04:52:33 PM

I've heard that rumour alright. Also heard that he's taking Andreas Koden as well from Astana.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tyrones own

I would seriously doubt that, Andy is a genuine GC contender and will hardly entertain
supporting Lance in his quest for an 8th...I'd safely say he'll head up a team of his own
with Frank in tow.

QuoteBITCHY OR WHAT HuhHuhHuh??

I don't see it as bitchy at all OM, Contador single handedly ruined the chance for a 123
for Astana in towing both Schleks to the line...there's no way in hell that those were Bruyneel's
team orders, Kloden has got to be pissed off with him also!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Hound

Quote from: gerry on July 31, 2009, 11:58:25 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 27, 2009, 09:14:05 AM
Did anyone hear if there was anyone caught for doping this year ? Seemed to me to be one of the cleanest tours for years.

spoke to soon

Tour de France stage 16 winner Mikel Astarloza has been suspended by the International Cycling Union after a positive test for blood-booster EPO
Thought for a sec that was the stage where Roche finished 2nd - but just checked and Roche had crossed the line in 4th place.

orangeman

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 01, 2009, 01:24:05 AM

I would seriously doubt that, Andy is a genuine GC contender and will hardly entertain
supporting Lance in his quest for an 8th...I'd safely say he'll head up a team of his own
with Frank in tow.

QuoteBITCHY OR WHAT HuhHuhHuh??

I don't see it as bitchy at all OM, Contador single handedly ruined the chance for a 123
for Astana in towing both Schleks to the line...there's no way in hell that those were Bruyneel's
team orders
, Kloden has got to be pissed off with him also!

True enough. Contador just went out and did his own thing but on camera put it across that everything was well with the team, like the day ( in the Alps ) Lance fell back and managed to get back in touch again after putting in a massive effort, Contador rode over to him and gave him a big pat on the back.

The Schleks might form a team of their own alright. But they just might go with Lance. I suppose it will be down to the $ on offer.

anportmorforjfc

I think it would make the tour even more interesting next year if lance, contador and the schleks all had their own teams. With all of them going for the win from the start.

Minder

They should put them all on the same drugs then we would see who is the best..............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tyrones own

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on August 01, 2009, 05:05:27 PM
I think it would make the tour even more interesting next year if lance, contador and the schleks all had their own teams. With all of them going for the win from the start.

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann