Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

I'd say on balance he'll be happy enough but he lost about 12 minutes on the yellow jersey on Saturday - 2 of the 3 days in the Pyrenees he done well, the other day was Saturday.
He be about 20th overall if he had stayed with the yellow jersey group on Saturday.

anportmorforjfc

Seven-time champion Lance Armstrong has hinted he will compete in next year's Tour de France after coming out of retirement to ride in the 2009 event.

Asked if this would be his final Tour, the 37-year-old said: "Probably not. Probably not. Maybe one more Tour."

The Texan also confirmed rumours all is not well between himself and Astana team-mate Alberto Contador.

"The honest truth is that there's a little tension," he said. "Alberto is strong, and he's very ambitious."

Armstrong finished Sunday's ninth stage just eight seconds off the leading pace of Rinaldo Nocentini, an Italian riding for AG2R who is not considered a yellow jersey contender.

Spaniard Contador, the 2007 champion who started as the yellow jersey favourite, is second overall only six seconds off the pace ahead of Monday's rest day.

Armstrong said if the 26-year-old Contador proved his worth he would accept having to play second fiddle in the team.

"If he proves to be the strongest in the race, there's nothing I can do," he said.

Meanwhile, Armstrong had an emotional reunion with the parents of his former Motorola team-mate Fabio Casartelli after climbing the Portet d'Aspet pass, where the Italian rider died in a crash during the Tour 14 years ago.

"We see each other once a year, sometimes more. They continue to be like family to me," said Armstrong. "For me, it's nice to see them, they're wonderful people and they're nice to be around."

gerry

give me this bike and i will win the tour this year

my bike
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

Interesting story regarding Ireland's Nicolas Roche who was talking to one of the team sponsors in the Tour village after Sunday's stage when he heard a loud bang and the next thing he knew his leg was bleeding and sore. The AG2R man thought he had been shot but ASO said it was an ice compressor that exploded on one of the trucks behind the village and that it could have been a bolt or something that tore his leg.

Eurosport
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on July 14, 2009, 01:25:21 PM
Interesting story regarding Ireland's Nicolas Roche who was talking to one of the team sponsors in the Tour village after Sunday's stage when he heard a loud bang and the next thing he knew his leg was bleeding and sore. The AG2R man thought he had been shot but ASO said it was an ice compressor that exploded on one of the trucks behind the village and that it could have been a bolt or something that tore his leg.

Eurosport

Read that - Ncholas writes a diary daily in the Indo. He was convinced that it was an airgun or something at the time.

orangeman

Cavendish takes the stage win today - that's three stage wins for Mark so far. No changes today.

gerry

another good race my nick today

17.     ROCHE Nicolas     89     AG2R-LA MONDIALE     4h 46' 43"     + 00' 00"
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

anportmorforjfc

I see when Cavendish won today he took the green glasses off to wave them thinking he had got the green jersey back, what a w**ker.  it would be great to see hushovd win the green jersey overall, though can't see it happening.

Aerlik

There used to be a red jersey in the Tour.  What was that for, does anyone remember?
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

maddog

Quote from: Aerlik on July 15, 2009, 10:19:24 AM
There used to be a red jersey in the Tour.  What was that for, does anyone remember?

it was for the intermediate sprints along the road. A town or village would put up a few grand as prize money and the winner through a particular point would scoop the money. There also used to be a combined jersey which was for the rider that was highest average in all competitions. The intermediate sprints along the road now count towards the green jersey.

gallsman

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 15, 2009, 05:55:43 AM
I see when Cavendish won today he took the green glasses off to wave them thinking he had got the green jersey back, what a w**ker.  it would be great to see hushovd win the green jersey overall, though can't see it happening.

Cavendish will struggle to make it through the Alps.

orangeman

The main group have nearly caught up with the escape. They're now on their tails with only about 20 seconds between them and 11k left.

There's not going to be any change in GC todahy either.

orangeman

Cavendish strikes for another stage win. Green jersey back to him.

maddog

Quote from: gallsman on July 15, 2009, 02:10:13 PM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 15, 2009, 05:55:43 AM

Cavendish will struggle to make it through the Alps.

No more so than the other sprinters in the race. He will get through it all right. Dont agree that it would be great if Hushovd could win the green, at the end of the day Cavendish is the fastest man in the race and if he can make it to the champs elysees id expect another win.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Cavendish is some sprinter, though it seems that the only people he is popular with is the English.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...