Cork V Limerick Munster Football final

Started by Zulu, July 01, 2009, 11:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

It seems this game has slipped under the radar but we will have our first provincial champions after this weekend and this game will be a lot closer than many people think. Limerick are a decent team, much better than their league form suggests and will put it up to Cork for long periods IMO. You'd still have to fancy Cork to win and they'll go on to knock Tyrone out in the semi's on their way to the AI but I suspect they'll get one of their tougher games of the year this Sunday.

INDIANA

I hope you're right but I can't see Limerick being within 7/8 points at the end. They were operating out of div3/4. If Cork come out with the right attitude the change of pace will make things very difficult for Limerick on Sunday. PLaying the likes of Clare is no preparation for these games. If Cork completely underperform then it could be a lot closer.

Zulu

I think some teams just match up well and I think Limerick can do better against Cork than they would against most of the other top teams. I've been to both of Limerick's championship games and they are a big strong team with better footballers than many give them credit for. For example Ian Ryan and Ger Collins are two of the better forwards in the country not playing for a top team and Pa Ranahan is one of the most intelligent wing backs playing the game. They also have the right players in the right positions to mark some of Corks better players. I've a foot in both camps so I'm looking forward to a day out in Cork safe in the knowledge that I can be happy whatever the result but I really expect Limerick to put it up to Cork. If they do you can expect to hear 'experts' tell us this is proof that Cork aren't up there with the top teams yet, which is nonsense, I fancy Cork more this Sunday if they were playing Kerry than I do that they are playing Limerick.

Zulu

Cork team named Kieran O'Connor in for O'Leary but Miskella is an injury doubt and the word on the street is this team won't start.

Alan Quirke
Ray Carey
Micheal Shields
Anthony Lynch
John Miskella
Graham Canty
Kieran O Connor                       
Alan O Connor
Nick Murphy
Paddy Kelly
Pearse O'Neill
Paul Kerrigan
Dan Goulding
James Masters
Donnacha O'Connor

Limerick team same as last day except for Stephen Kelly coming in for Stokes.

FL/MAYO

Will watch this with some intersest, just found out that I have a second cousin (first cousins son) on the Limerick panel, O'Brien is his last name I think he was a minor last year.

Zulu

That would be Bobby O'Brien, a decent player and he could see action this Sunday.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Zulu on July 01, 2009, 02:44:53 PM
That would be Bobby O'Brien, a decent player and he could see action this Sunday.

My father is very excited about this one, he will be supporting Limerick even though he is a Cork man. Bobbys grandmother is a Cork woman. He is probably a big enough young lad if he takes after my fathers side of the family.

brokencrossbar1

There is very little talk about this game and I think there is an expectation that Cork will cruise it.  The thing is that Limerick always play well against Cork and have absolutely no pressure on them.  Similar in some respects to the Drombroadford/Nemo clash in the Munster club last year.  I think Cork will win, but Limerick could make it very awkward for them.

AZOffaly

Limerick threw this away last year. I don't think Cork will overlook them though. Cork seem to be better this year alright, but I still think it will be close. I'll say Cork by 4.

Archie Mitchell

Good to see the wee Jack Russell make his way onto the pitch  :D

Think there was a similar thing happened in a compromise rules game in Croker when he got involved and was chasing the ball and all.

Schkite

Limerick flying now. Need to make good use of this period of dominance when they have it.

Archie Mitchell

Ian Ryan is a classy footballer, 4 from play so far inside 25 minutes.

comethekingdom

Cork look very ordinary in the first half. Still think they'll turn the screw in the 2nd half though but 1-2 for Cork in 35 mins is a very poor return!

Jinxy

Very enjoyable game.
Proper hard hits with players trying to get on with the game instead of going to ground.
Properl intensity.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid