The bumping cars warm-up

Started by Jinxy, June 29, 2009, 12:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 29, 2009, 12:59:07 PM
It's a common enough drill in rugby, it's used to help prepare the body for contact. I was surprsied when I first saw it in football warm-ups but i'm sure the principle is the same.
I've NEVER seen it in rugby ...  ... shocking stuff 

Jinxy

I've never seen it in rugby either.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

I'd probably have more exposure to rugby awrm up drills than most but trust me it's pretty common across schools and club level.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

I don't care if the Harlem Globetrotters use it to warm-up.
It's a stupid drill.
End of.

DennistheMenace

It has been brought into our club recently, stupid drill imo

Minder

The Antrim hurlers were at it yesterday, you never saw a more half arsed effort, in fairness to the players it is hard to take it seriously.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hereiam

Never really liked the warm ups they use today. Always thought it would be better to keep whatever energy I had for the match.

thejuice

I did it once with a team, all i got from it was a bruised shoulder. You could put music for the Walls Of Limerick over footage of it and it would probably not look out of place. Did a somewhat similar warm up for american football and I cant say it did much good either other than getting the anticipation of the first hit out of your system.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tyssam5

Quote from: Zulu on June 29, 2009, 11:44:57 AM
I think these warm ups are based on the concept of specificity but I find them idiotic and utterly pointless.

In English?

Jinxy

In fairness Zulu, that drill couldn't be less specific to gaelic football if it tried.

JMohan

Quote from: Zulu on June 29, 2009, 11:44:57 AM
I think these warm ups are based on the concept of specificity but I find them idiotic and utterly pointless.
Not a hope in hell

Zulu

QuoteIn fairness Zulu, that drill couldn't be less specific to gaelic football if it tried.

I was also referring to the other drill mentioned, you know the one with 3 tackling one man in posession and in fairness to both 'drills' they do replicate some things that go on in games and do introduce contact into the warm up. However as I've already said I think they are nonsense and wouldn't use them myself or really see the point in them.

QuoteNot a hope in hell

Eh, why the hell not?

JMohan

Quote from: Zulu on June 30, 2009, 12:56:23 PM
QuoteIn fairness Zulu, that drill couldn't be less specific to gaelic football if it tried.

I was also referring to the other drill mentioned, you know the one with 3 tackling one man in posession and in fairness to both 'drills' they do replicate some things that go on in games and do introduce contact into the warm up. However as I've already said I think they are nonsense and wouldn't use them myself or really see the point in them.

QuoteNot a hope in hell

Eh, why the hell not?
You're serious? You're referring to the 'principle of specificity' as applied to sport?

Zulu

I'm talking about how warm ups should prepare the body for the activity it is about to engage in and therefore contact drills are often used in sports like football, rugby or Aussie rules. Now like I say I don't see the point in the ones done by some IC teams but I presume that is the logic behind them.

Keyser soze

Didn't see the specific drill from Sunday but i've seen and participated in similar type things. In my experience they were always done with the ball. The drill would evolve from simple skillsets such as pickups, handpasses etc moving on to evading a tackle, taking a shoulder charge etc.

The purpose of these drills are to warm up the muscles, tune ball skills before the game, bring up a level of aggression by getting the adrenalin going, focus minds on the intensity of the game you're going into, improve teamwork, use peripheral vision etc.

It's maybe not the greatest drill ever but it can certainly be useful in utilising a number of skillsets within one drill. Having said that i've never seen it done without a ball, sounds fairly pointless to do it that way.

In my experience the number of drills that can be used before a match is limited but you would always incorporate some fast paced hand and kick passing drills also.