Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on July 13, 2009, 03:25:12 PM

What do you reason is in it for McGeeney then to be siding with the gpa Orangeman?

He's helping to turn the screw - doing his bit for the GPA and all of those who stand to gain from the 5% ( which isn't going to materialise ). Mc Geeney has always stuck to his guns and it's no surprise that he's backing up an organisation to which he has been aligned for a long time. Mc Geeney has awalys taken a very,professional and conscientious approach to the game and for that he deserves credit.

JMohan

Quote from: orangeman on July 13, 2009, 03:30:41 PM

What do you reason is in it for McGeeney then to be siding with the gpa Orangeman?

He's helping to turn the screw - doing his bit for the GPA and all of those who stand to gain from the 5% ( which isn't going to materialise ). Mc Geeney has always stuck to his guns and it's no surprise that he's backing up an organisation to which he has been aligned for a long time. Mc Geeney has awalys taken a very,professional and conscientious approach to the game and for that he deserves credit.

Well he was 'in receipt of' allegedly sorry .... he was 'in support' of pay for play when he was with Armagh ... and it's alleged he is being rewarded financially to manage Kildare currently so he can't really do otherwise other than support the GPA!

Otherwise he could be called a hypocrite.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: JMohan on July 13, 2009, 03:44:04 PM

Well he was 'in receipt of' allegedly sorry .... he was 'in support' of pay for play when he was with Armagh ... and it's alleged he is being rewarded financially to manage Kildare currently so he can't really do otherwise other than support the GPA!

Got a source on that have you??
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

magpie seanie

JMohan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 13, 2009, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 13, 2009, 03:44:04 PM

Got a source on that have you??

No ... hence the word 'allegedly'

But then again 'officially' no GAA Managers get paid and they all do it for free and for love of the game

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2009, 03:52:51 PM
Do you not think he is?

I don't know whether he is or he isn't, but nobody else on here knows either. I just don't think people should be throwing around rumours as if they are facts.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 13, 2009, 04:17:10 PM
Do you not think he is?

I don't know whether he is or he isn't, but nobody else on here knows either. I just don't think people should be throwing around rumours as if they are facts.

given kildares history ....

yer having a laugh !

as for McGeeney, he did have a very 'professional ' attitude when playing, including only drinking tap water when in pubs etc
- he didnt have to do this, but he chose to ! He had plenty of big sacrifices throughout his career, but that doesnt merit players getting paid !

but this professionalism and football career has served him well as he has got a big team managers job with no experience whatsoever !...with the 'travel' expenses to go with it

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 13, 2009, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 13, 2009, 04:17:10 PM
Do you not think he is?

given kildares history ....

yer having a laugh !

as for McGeeney, he did have a very 'professional ' attitude when playing, including only drinking tap water when in pubs etc
- he didnt have to do this, but he chose to ! He had plenty of big sacrifices throughout his career, but that doesnt merit players getting paid !

but this professionalism and football career has served him well as he has got a big team managers job with no experience whatsoever !...with the 'travel' expenses to go with it

Well Micko was only on travel expenses too Lynchboy ...

INDIANA

Not all managers are paid. Some are. Ironically the big jobs entail no pay where as some lower down the scale can command some substantial fees. Kilkenny hurling, kerry football, tyrone football, dublin football, tipp hurling-, cork none of those managers get paid.

JMohan

Truthfully no one knows apart from the person themselves ...

I have doubts about two of those you mention at least Indiana

joebloggs

Quote from: INDIANA on July 13, 2009, 05:50:23 PM
Not all managers are paid. Some are. Ironically the big jobs entail no pay where as some lower down the scale can command some substantial fees. Kilkenny hurling, kerry football, tyrone football, dublin football, tipp hurling-, cork none of those managers get paid.

Did some one not give up a teaching position so they could concentrate on managing their county full time?

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 13, 2009, 05:54:20 PM
Truthfully no one knows apart from the person themselves ...

I have doubts about two of those you mention at least Indiana

I know for a fact the Dublin manager gets SFA. I know Cody gets nothing either. Those are definites. I'm pretty sure Frank Murphy wouldn't pay any shekels and I know Paidi got nothing to manage kerry. Maybe things are different now. ;D

JMohan

Quote from: joebloggs on July 13, 2009, 05:58:59 PM

Did some one not give up a teaching position so they could concentrate on managing their county full time?

The current Monaghan trainer you mean?

Also read Pat O'Sheas book and see what he said - not full time professional - but his time was covered.
And that was what was admitted to ...

What does Mickey Harte do?

The Dublin manager gets nothing from the County Board I'd be sure - neither do does the Cork\Kilkenny manager
- But sure it's NEVER the county board who pay the bills - what do you think 'Supporters Clubs' are for?

Bud Wiser

It is only a matter of time before the taxman cometh and when he does there will be serious repercussions.  Right now there are serious investigations going on among some of those who were lording it over the rest of us and jail terms are being handed out for any form of Social Welfare fraud, tax fraud or abuse of Benifit In Kind.  Houses are on the line along with prison sentences and that is fact and sooner or later when things go sour in some county and the shit hits the fan someone is going to be made an example of.    You can't have on one side of the paper, 'Mother of six children gets two years for undeclared income or social welfare fraud while the 'Manager' thinks he can earn 100,000 a year in income and perks on the sly and get away with it.

Does anyone remember the famous Dub who turned manager and said on RTE when asked why he would comit to travelling to a different county and go through all the trouble to manage another county team and he said, because I get forty thousand pounds for it, before immediately trying to retract it.

The money being spent by County Boards on high profile managers would be better spent looking after former intercounty players.  I know one Offaly lad, an All-Star hurler who is retired since he played in his last All-Ireland and that was years ago. Today he is in plaster and still going through operations for damage to his leg and not one source has offered him one penny to help him.  Disgraceful.

If there are to be high profile managers brought into other counties like the travelling messiah, O'Dwyer, then the GAA should select all the weaker counties and pay for and allocate managers to bring these counties up to the standards required to compete in the top levels. Or are we reaching a level where an All-Ireland will soon be bought by the county having the most sponsorship and the highest paid manager?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

tyronefan

Quote from: JMohan on July 13, 2009, 06:09:44 PM
Quote from: joebloggs on July 13, 2009, 05:58:59 PM

The current Monaghan trainer you mean?

Also read Pat O'Sheas book and see what he said - not full time professional - but his time was covered.
And that was what was admitted to ...

What does Mickey Harte do?

The Dublin manager gets nothing from the County Board I'd be sure - neither do does the Cork\Kilkenny manager
- But sure it's NEVER the county board who pay the bills - what do you think 'Supporters Clubs' are for?

Micky Harte is an Auctioneer and I would be very suprised if he was getting paid to manage Tyrone