Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligeach

Jesus Reillers you really are a complete twat.

Lads if the GAA give the GPA 5% or 0.5%, I will say goodbye to the GAA for good.
You can only go so far, this is the line that cannot be crossed.

behind the wire

maybe we should go with reillers suggestion "sure its only a wee bit of professionalism".

TIME TO TURN THE SCREW CHRISTY
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

JMohan

McGeeney won't do any interviews today ... GPA member/supporter ...

Am I the only one who finds that ironic?

pintsofguinness

Who cares, I know I wont miss the interviews.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thewobbler

Does every county board have a full-time secretary these days like Down has?

If so, these secretaries should be issued a directive now from HQ to begin putting out the feelers for a contingency county squad, in case the GPA decide to commit suicide through striking.

It shouldn't take that much effort to source 30 non-GPA affiliated players of future, former or nearly county standard to pick up the reins if necessary, and there's no reason not to be pro-active on this one.

Bord na Mona man

Most player interviews are boring cliché fests.
If the GPA did away with them permanently, it would be a good move.

tyroneboi

I see Pat Gilroy is picking up Bernard Brogans man of the match for him because of this media ban.

pintsofguinness

So lads, if, like some of you say, most of the county players werent interested in the GPA why was there no interviews today?

INDIANA

Kildare and Dublin are virtually all members. When I said I knew several high profile inter county players who aren't members. Dublin isn't a county I was referring to.  More's the pity. But Dessie would have huge influence in the Dublin squad for obvious reasons.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: INDIANA on July 12, 2009, 06:31:07 PM
Kildare and Dublin are virtually all members. When I said I knew several high profile inter county players who aren't members. Dublin isn't a county I was referring to.  More's the pity. But Dessie would have huge influence in the Dublin squad for obvious reasons.

Must be the same with the waterford and tipp. 

Probably why those games were picked?

I dont know though, if I was a high profile player I would be making sure the country knew I was not involved in the GPA. 

INDIANA

Kerry and Kilkenny wouldn't have huge representation in the GPA. Could you honestly imagine a kilkenny hurler going on strike with the depth of talent they have ? Cody would just shake his hand and say good luck. A lot of the Kerry players just don't bother with them.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2009, 06:16:00 PM
So lads, if, like some of you say, most of the county players werent interested in the GPA why was there no interviews today?
I'd say on a lot of panels, 5 or 6 players might be strong GPA militants while the rest will just go with the flow.
If I was 19 or 20 years old and trying to establish myself, I'd keep my head down and not cross swords with senior players who have a bee in their bonnet.

JMohan

I was wondering then about Paddy Bradley yesterday - is he not a GPA member? Or was it just finals?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 12, 2009, 08:00:03 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2009, 06:16:00 PM
I'd say on a lot of panels, 5 or 6 players might be strong GPA militants while the rest will just go with the flow.
If I was 19 or 20 years old and trying to establish myself, I'd keep my head down and not cross swords with senior players who have a bee in their bonnet.

You can understand the young lads keeping their heads down but if there's more senior players you would think they'd open their mouths. 

JMohan, it was just the leinster and munster finals. 

JMohan

Thanks Pints -

Ok ... it isn't a big deal ... but I notice more and more public comment starting to swing against the GPA now ... even the TV3 commentators seemed to be more pro GAA.

A very good point was made about it starting to be very personal on the GPA side ... I think there may be a little truth in that.

I though Pariac Duffy made some very good points about not making sense to fund an organization outside the GAA... this was contrasted with a Dessie comment about their policy changing from day to day or something like that ...