Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Final Whistle

ok ok one rule for all then-gaa amateur no one to get paid- that applies to the suits too!!!

500,000 for a three year term!!! (Are you Brian Cown in disguise????)

JMohan

Quote from: doirebhoy on June 30, 2009, 02:15:34 PM
y do people keep going on about getting paid??? its a grant, end of story, majority of athletes get it!!!
i have a work colleague who plays for derry, he spends approximatly £35 a week on fruit/veg and chicken for his breakfast/lunch etc, wereby i buy a sandwich at £2.50!!!

no one is asking the gaa for £30k a man, last year he recieved 1700euro, about £1500,

take
gym membership 36 per month * 8 £288
Dietary requirements  32weeks * 35 £1120
Supplements             32weeks * 10 £320

thats £1728, thats not to mention the 30mins he left work early for every training session, he has done numerous underage presentation, and never once took a penny.

he dosent do it for the money, he does it for the pride in his jersey, for his club/family etc - he will never stop playing if he doesn receive any gpa money, however i think these fellas deserve some sort of reimbursement for there dedication.

On the up side though ...

- He has a handy sales rep job
- Company car and fuel card
- Missus is a fine lash of thing - captain of the county camogie team too
- He's never had to buy a pint in the local since they won the county final with 13 men
- He gets tickets and discounts to various things - such as a few grand of his wedding last year
- If the local supermarket is being opened he gets a few grand to cut the tape
- Adidas pay him 2,000 a year and a load of free gear
- He has plenty of pull if he needs a favour here or there after getting tickets for people down the years
- 30,000 fans cheer his name very Sunday
- He gets a sh*g every night at the local nightclub
- Kids treat him like a God and want his autograph

... it's not all bad ...

full back

Quote from: JMohan on June 30, 2009, 02:45:26 PM

No chance ;)

lynchbhoy

y do people keep going on about getting paid??? its a grant, end of story, majority of athletes get it!!!
i have a work colleague who plays for derry, he spends approximatly £35 a week on fruit/veg and chicken for his breakfast/lunch etc, wereby i buy a sandwich at £2.50!!!

no one is asking the gaa for £30k a man, last year he recieved 1700euro, about £1500,

take

thats £1728, thats not to mention the 30mins he left work early for every training session, he has done numerous underage presentation, and never once took a penny.

he dosent do it for the money, he does it for the pride in his jersey, for his club/family etc - he will never stop playing if he doesn receive any gpa money, however i think these fellas deserve some sort of reimbursement for there dedication.

I understand what you are saying here - that the guy is a couple of hundred quid out of pocket..
but plenty of people not on the Derry squad that play for local clubs will do likewise (maybe not the leaving work early - though I used to have to do so at times for club matches years ago)
Similarly people not involved in sports might also go to the gym and pay similar amounts for food etc

however any sport costs people money - eg the €150 club membership for our club in dublin.

so far this year it has cost me over €250 euros in text messages alone toplayers. Not sure what actual phone calls have cost.
Factor in my time and petrol money to get to games/training - twice a week minimum - more if we have games on.
I have paid the ref and am about to send in a bill to the club to be reimbursed for €160.
This all has to be paid up front.
As I am 'tutoring' 35 lads (attendance at training can be from 13 to 24 people) should I not also get paid for my experience/time/loss of earnings?
There are a couple of lads I have coached that have made it already up to Dublin minor/u21 level ....
(prob co-incidence though)

the answer is no. I dont do it to get paid. when I played I didnt do it to get paid. I accepted that I was going to 'lose out' in social life, time, work, effort etc etc etc. You know and accept this when starting out.
So the €1700 your friend received is close to being spot on in terms of reimbursement. Does that include petrol money ?
I'd be in favour however of a couple of hundred quid more though.
But thats it. Nothing on top of that.No GPA etc etc
IMO the player monies was always going to rise whether dessie farrell and co came to the fore or not.
this has been an issue since the early 90's.
Player welfare is still not fully covered imo. But as a society we didnt have this kind of cover/care in place so that the GAA slightly lags behind is not a crime.
Welfare/inj fund/disabillity fund needs to be addressed imo.
We dont need GPA for that.

I also agree that €500k is too much for our head man to be getting !

donelli

take

You should eat more. 1 sandwich a week is not enough nutrition for you lad.. ;D

Rois

Do the Derry boys not get free gym membership?  I'm almost certain the Tyrone boys in the Strabane District Council area get free use of the leisure centres in the district.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Rois on June 30, 2009, 04:05:01 PM
Do the Derry boys not get free gym membership?  I'm almost certain the Tyrone boys in the Strabane District Council area get free use of the leisure centres in the district.

I thought they did or at least they definitely use to.

Bensars

take

doirebhoy , im surprised that you haven't included the re-hydration allowance. Remember about a year ago Enda Mc Nulty defending the GPA and its members, among other things the absence of a re-hydration allowance.

On another side note there was no talk of a media ban when club energise  " allegedly" were throwing out xxx euro everytime anyone appeared on television drinking it .  Some of the post match interviews turned into pantomimes with certain players able to squeeze 7 or 8 " swigs" .

Final Whistle

take

- He's never had to buy a pint in the local since they won the county final with 13 men
- He gets tickets and discounts to various things - such as a few grand of his wedding last year
- He has plenty of pull if he needs a favour here or there after getting tickets for people down the years

... it's not all bad ...

Theres plenty of downsides too-but the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages!!

I think a solution to the problem would be simple-for every representative on a county squad their clubs should get £xxx amount of money towards development!

There would not be too many players that would argue with that.

I think the main issue is being side stepped-how is the president entitled to 500,000?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 30, 2009, 03:04:17 PM

take

I understand what you are saying here - that the guy is a couple of hundred quid out of pocket..
but plenty of people not on the Derry squad that play for local clubs will do likewise (maybe not the leaving work early - though I used to have to do so at times for club matches years ago)
Similarly people not involved in sports might also go to the gym and pay similar amounts for food etc

however any sport costs people money - eg the €150 club membership for our club in dublin.

so far this year it has cost me over €250 euros in text messages alone toplayers. Not sure what actual phone calls have cost.
Factor in my time and petrol money to get to games/training - twice a week minimum - more if we have games on.
I have paid the ref and am about to send in a bill to the club to be reimbursed for €160.
This all has to be paid up front.
As I am 'tutoring' 35 lads (attendance at training can be from 13 to 24 people) should I not also get paid for my experience/time/loss of earnings?
There are a couple of lads I have coached that have made it already up to Dublin minor/u21 level ....
(prob co-incidence though)

the answer is no. I dont do it to get paid. when I played I didnt do it to get paid. I accepted that I was going to 'lose out' in social life, time, work, effort etc etc etc. You know and accept this when starting out.
So the €1700 your friend received is close to being spot on in terms of reimbursement. Does that include petrol money ?
I'd be in favour however of a couple of hundred quid more though.
But thats it. Nothing on top of that.No GPA etc etc
IMO the player monies was always going to rise whether dessie farrell and co came to the fore or not.
this has been an issue since the early 90's.
Player welfare is still not fully covered imo. But as a society we didnt have this kind of cover/care in place so that the GAA slightly lags behind is not a crime.
Welfare/inj fund/disabillity fund needs to be addressed imo.
We dont need GPA for that.

I also agree that €500k is too much for our head man to be getting !

Dont you start, we're not buying your breakfast and lunch too!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

take

Think of the money he is saving being off the drink for 9 months of the year. Would by far outweigh his costs!

London 2012

I haven't read all the thread so if I am making a point which is already made then, apologies!

Media bans on players is maybe a good thing, players interviews in the papers or tv before or after a match are awful. I'm yet to come across anyone with the slighest bit of personality or charisma. The same old cliches are heard every sunday on tv or every day coming up to a match in the papers. They are embarrasing to read or listen to.

omagh_gael

slightly off topic but has anyone noticed the amount of times gaa players use the word "maybe" during interviews? Seems to be particularly common with us nordies! It seems they're all petrified off having their interview plastered over the oppositions changing rooms and being used as a motivational tool! Check out next player interview and look out for something along these lines "...Armagh have been playing well but maybe weve got that bit extra character after lasts weeks performance which maybe might give us an edge..." Next in the popularity stakes has to be caricture (character in a thick terown accent!)

JMohan

Quote from: Final Whistle on June 30, 2009, 04:33:59 PM

take

... it's not all bad ...

Theres plenty of downsides too-but the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages!!

I think a solution to the problem would be simple-for every representative on a county squad their clubs should get £xxx amount of money towards development!

There would not be too many players that would argue with that.

I think the main issue is being side stepped-how is the president entitled to 500,000?
A number of players in some counties gave their money to their club anyway ...

JMohan

Quote from: Bensars on June 30, 2009, 04:09:54 PM

take

doirebhoy , im surprised that you haven't included the re-hydration allowance. Remember about a year ago Enda Mc Nulty defending the GPA and its members, among other things the absence of a re-hydration allowance.

On another side note there was no talk of a media ban when club energise  " allegedly" were throwing out xxx euro everytime anyone appeared on television drinking it .  Some of the post match interviews turned into pantomimes with certain players able to squeeze 7 or 8 " swigs" .

1. - Anyone spending that much on supplements is crazy

2. - McNulty lost it years ago with that remark - we're not in a desert!