Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

What annoys me most though is knowing that the people the GPA should have the issue with is NOT the GAA but the Government who introduced the grants in the first place.

Secondly the issue should NEVER be pay for play - it should be a TAX RELIEF for those playing so that the people can save on their basic income.... just like that gangster Charlie did for the horse people (ironically who have been helping contribute to the funding for Kildare over the yesrs) 

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 01, 2009, 12:24:47 PM
What annoys me most though is knowing that the people the GPA should have the issue with is NOT the GAA but the Government who introduced the grants in the first place.

Secondly the issue should NEVER be pay for play - it should be a TAX RELIEF for those playing so that the people can save on their basic income.... just like that gangster Charlie did for the horse people (ironically who have been helping contribute to the funding for Kildare over the yesrs) 

Impossible to work within the tax code because you can only get tax relief on your earnings. They don't earn from the sport so they can't get a tax break.

JMohan

Why can't you have tax relief from earnings other than the sport?

INDIANA

On what grounds?Don't see how that would ever get passed in the tax courts. The Govt would have to offer it to every sport in the country and lets face it in the current climate it isn't going to happen.

thebandit

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 01, 2009, 11:38:46 AM
GPA has three types of membership

Current Inter County Player

Former Inter County Player

Associate

In other words it's open to absolutely anyone with €50 (associate fee)

And what does associate membership entail?

Looks like a nice way of saying hanger on to me.

JMohan

Quote from: INDIANA on July 01, 2009, 12:42:34 PM
On what grounds?Don't see how that would ever get passed in the tax courts. The Govt would have to offer it to every sport in the country and lets face it in the current climate it isn't going to happen.
Well they offered a grant - what's the difference?

The tax relief issue was the original plan anyway

In any case the issue should be with the Government not the GAA

cornafean

The "grant" could have been in the form of a tax credit, like the tax credits that exist for the likes of refuse charges, and to specific groups such as PAYE employees or blind people.

The problem with this is that it would have been no use to players from the 6 counties.

Does anyone know if Dessie or Sean Cavanagh has ever explored the possibility of getting a share of the "grant funds" from the NI executive or the UK exchequer?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 01, 2009, 12:45:59 PM
Well they offered a grant - what's the difference?

The tax relief issue was the original plan anyway

In any case the issue should be with the Government not the GAA

The tax relief plan was scrapped because it had no jurisdiction in the 6 counties and because any relief could only be granted on their earnings from the sport- which there were none.
Tax credits have to be available to everyone.

cornafean

I don't think so. The tax system is riddled with similar anomalies. For example there is a small tax allowance that can be claimed by forestry workers if they work for Coillte, but forest workers who work for other employers aren't entitled to it. To date, nobody has felt sufficiently aggrieved to stump up half a million euro to challenge it in the High Court or Supreme Court. I don't think there would have been a challenge to an intercounty players' tax credit either.

Hound

Inter-county player tax credit would not work as it would be of no value to students/unemployed/Nordies.

INDIANA

there would because the Minister for Finance would be obligated to offer it all other sports. Mc Creevy's submission to the Dail said as much. Tax concessions to amateurs would opne the floodgates for every Tom Dick and Harry to claim going to the gym was as much an amateur sport.

cornafean

Quote from: INDIANA on July 01, 2009, 01:05:29 PM
there would because the Minister for Finance would be obligated to offer it all other sports. Mc Creevy's submission to the Dail said as much. Tax concessions to amateurs would opne the floodgates for every Tom Dick and Harry to claim going to the gym was as much an amateur sport.

In theory, possibly. In practice, definitely not. Nobody is going to spend €500k in the Supreme Court to gain a €2K tax break. See the Coillte example above. If McCreevy said otherwise in the Dail, he was telling a little porky.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: thebandit on July 01, 2009, 12:42:42 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 01, 2009, 11:38:46 AM
GPA has three types of membership

Current Inter County Player

Former Inter County Player

Associate

In other words it's open to absolutely anyone with €50 (associate fee)

And what does associate membership entail?

Looks like a nice way of saying hanger on to me.

Associate membership is open to "male Gaelic footballers, female gaelic footballers, camogie players, hurlers and non-playing supporters".  Seems to me like my 83 year old father and my nine year old daughter could both be associate members. ???
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

INDIANA

It doesn't cost 500k- ever hear of political pressure and votes? There is no way a Govt would bring in a tax break like that- it would cost them votes and it would leave them open to a multitude of challenges. It was never a runner. Anyway the Govt has closed 90% of those schemes that you're referring to. They aren't going to open another one.
the 40% tax relief to professional sportspeople is likely to be scrapped at the next Budget so amateurs haven't a prayer at this stage.

rrhf

A counter arguement....
Listen lads in the days of shares falling through the floor, an associate membershiup of the GPA could indeed be the investment we are looking for.  Slow to pay out at first, if Dessie secures more sponsorships or indeed if we get Pay for play instead of the money going into the GAA kitty we can be part of the GPA "siphon" Now where do I sign up?