MFR - thanks for the Kerry years.

Started by Kerry Mike, June 26, 2009, 01:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Sad to see the last off Mike Frank in a Kerry jersey. Brilliant corner forward. Got a raw deal from Jack OConnor in my opinion.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

OverThePostsAWide

MFR is a victim of the congestion there is in the modern game. There just isn't the room for more than one Christian name in the modern game anymore, I'm afraid. Where have all the "Willy Joes" and "Joe Pats" gone?

PJ Quinn might think he has us fooled with his "no-vowel" Christian name but when the truth is rumbled he will be gone too... ;)

Just jesting. No disrespect intended. A great player. Sorry to see him go off the national stage. What Antrim wouldn't do to have him this weekend!

rrhf

A truly class footballer in a particular I remember a national league game many moons ago in Killarney I believe where he singlehandedly destroyed us and he was fairly new to the panel then.  Again like Maurice Fitz some great Kerry talents thave been underused in the last decade at the behest of the managers.  If he played for Tyrone his 5 ai medals would undoubtedly have been won on the pitch, he deserved his place in any team.  Any manager who thinks Tommy Walshe or Bryan sheehan is better that MFR needs their head examined.   

INDIANA

One of the most natural players I ever saw. Just not Jack's sort of player.

Jinxy

I see Eoin Brosnan has retired as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2009, 10:55:57 AM

Why now for both lads ??

All is not well in the camp ?

A Quinn Martin Production

Sad to see Mike Frank go.  Sign of a great player is that they make everything look easy and he made it look effortless.  A sad feature of the modern game is that there doesn't seem to be room for this type of player any more at inter county level.  Any chance he would pull on a Saffron jersey tomorrow...for one night only!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Doogie Browser

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 26, 2009, 11:27:36 AM
Sad to see Mike Frank go.  Sign of a great player is that they make everything look easy and he made it look effortless.  A sad feature of the modern game is that there doesn't seem to be room for this type of player any more at inter county level.  Any chance he would pull on a Saffron jersey tomorrow...for one night only!
That is how I would rate him too, he looked languid in style but that was deceptive. 

rrhf

I think there is room for him in the modern game, but some counties dont know how to play the modern game.  Look at Marty Penrose hes lighter that MFR and damn near MOM last week.  I think his under usage sums up kerry managers in recent years, they have a much talent at their disposal as the best of counties but cant use it right.  In fact I would suggest that the current Kerry team and MFR  have acieved  similar if not greater feats than the guys in the 80s who played one / 2 games a year  to win Sam.  I rate this current Kerry team very highly, Over the last 10 years their ability to nick in there under tha radar and lift Sams has been both opportunistic and unrivalled. 

Tim Buzaglo

Brilliant Player at his best!  Am I right in saying that this guy won an All Ireland Minor, Under 21, Hogan and club all in the same year..............................at the age of 18???
Will we ever see another one?

JMohan

Great player, cruciate seemed to take a yard off his pace sadly. But an outstanding talent.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: JMohan on June 26, 2009, 12:54:46 PM
Great player, cruciate seemed to take a yard off his pace sadly. But an outstanding talent.

Exactly. He hasn't been the same since. You can't knock Jack O'Connor by thinking of the Mike Frank of 1997. The current Mike Frank is, unfortunately, not the same player. Was a class act in his heyday and a joy to watch.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

the Deel Rover

Quote from: orangeman on June 26, 2009, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2009, 10:55:57 AM

Why now for both lads ??

All is not well in the camp ?

don't let that fool ya orangeman thats when them kerry fcukers are most dangerous . Thee probably kicking the living shite out each other at training at the moment preparing for the qualifers.
And good luck to mike frank a fantastic footballel there was a spell there in the early 2000's where he was practically unmarkable and you knew that any time he got the ball he was guaranteed to score . He won the lot nothing to prove to anyone
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

BerfArmagh

Up there is moynihan as my favorite kerry player of the last 10 years, glass act & no oul shite about him, did his talking on the pitch