Standup DVDs

Started by screenexile, June 25, 2009, 02:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Goin through a bit of a phase of watching a lot of standup DVDs and just wondering what people recommend.

Best I've seen so far are Ricky Gervais' 3 shows, Eddie Murphy Raw and Delirious, Dylan Moran's stuff and a load of Billy Connolly.

Is there any that people can recommend either new or classic to keep me entertained over the next while?

C_Berg_316

Bought Frankie Boyles a while back - thought it was quality

Also always like Tommy Tiernan
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

5 Sams

Peter Kay.....brilliant
The Aristocrat Years

AAAA

Terry Wogans interview with George Best

full back

Jimmy Carr is very good as well

screenexile

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on June 25, 2009, 02:50:27 PM
I like the Def Comedy Jams, Dave Chapelle, Bernie Mac, those sort of guys.

Also like Roy Chubby Brown (not for the easily offended  ;D)

Ah man! I've seen some of his stuff and apart from the fact it's disgusting, sexist, racist and a million other things I don't believe he's really that funny. Saw a documentary about hiim and he comes across as a sad little man.

Must check out Frankie Boyle... seen Tommy Tiernan live a couple of times and I do like him. Will also try a few of the Def Comedy Jams cheers guys.

Archie Mitchell

Frankie Boyle is a must see. Very very funny.
Hate Jimmy Carr and Russell Brand.
Rickey Gervais' shows are very good, as are Peter Kay's.
Michael McIntyre is shaping up to do good stand up shows.

corn02

Frankie Boyle's DVD is brilliant, but if you are easily offended stay away , it gets nasty.

Archie Mitchell

Forgot to add Chris Rock into that list.

SidelineKick

Frankie Boyle is a legend, haven't seen his stand up but would imagine its hilarious!

Michael McIntyre's Friday night programme is seriously disappointing, seen his DVD was top class, but last two weeks I've watched he's been mildly funny.

Roy Chubby Brown isnt funny.

Nor is Tomym Tiernan. Some of his things are funyn but the wee p***k annoys me.  Last clip of him I seen taking the piss out of Downs Syndrome people was enough for me.

Bill Bailey is still my favourite by a good bit, real quality hunour, fantastic musician which adds immensely to the act and doesnt feel the need to tell filthy or degrading jokes.

Exile, check out Part troll, its top class.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

ziggysego

Quote from: SidelineKick on June 25, 2009, 03:26:40 PM
Frankie Boyle is a legend, haven't seen his stand up but would imagine its hilarious!

Brother-in-law saw him live. Said he's fantastic on Mock the Week and various panel shows, but his stand up is terrible. Just the TV stuff again on stage.
Testing Accessibility

Our Nail Loney

I have Frankie Boyle's, it really is great.

Russell Howard from Mock The Week is excellent in his stand up, I would go as far to say I enjoyed it more than Frankie's.

If you like quick stupid one liners, try Tim Vine or Harry Hill. I have all of the both of their DVDs and think they are class.

Richard Pryors are good also, I got three of his DVDs and hs autobiography for a tenner in HMV about two months ago, bargain!

ziggysego

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 25, 2009, 03:38:40 PM
Russell Howard from Mock The Week is excellent in his stand up, I would go as far to say I enjoyed it more than Frankie's.

I think he's rubbish on Mock the Week, but saw him one night doing stand up on TV. I gotta say, pretty funny stuff.
Testing Accessibility

Archie Mitchell

I seen Frankie Boyle when I went to a recording of The Blame Game. Very funny man, he's great on Mock the Week. I thought his stand up was great.

What Michael McIntyre DVD did you watch SidelineKick? There are 2 out, Live and Laughing and Hello Wembley Live 2009. Might download them tonight to see what they are like.

SidelineKick

Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2009, 03:39:54 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 25, 2009, 03:38:40 PM

I think he's rubbish on Mock the Week, but saw him one night doing stand up on TV. I gotta say, pretty funny stuff.

I would agree with that, almost wasn't going to watch him but glad I did.

Archie, I can't remember which one it was but the big tongued boy should be able to tell you, think its the same one he has.

Also Jason Mansford was very good on Live at the Apollo.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.