Young lad dies in Co. Down

Started by supersub, June 25, 2009, 12:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: stpauls on June 25, 2009, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 25, 2009, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: stpauls on June 25, 2009, 01:10:38 PM
Same thing happened to a family that lived close to me growing up, there was a fair bit of rain, and the river behind our house flooded, and the kids were paddling in the water that had flowed up into the fields around the river. one of the lads walked a bit to far into it and misjudged were the bank was and got pulled in, and dragged down stream. a few of the neighbours were able to follow him and pull him out, but he had been too long under and ended up in a coma and eventually died. one of the guys that pulled him out had been a pioneer to that day, and has never been the same man since!!

May he rest in peace, and my thoughts are with his family!!

Was the first thing that came into my head this morning St Pauls, was driving down Bog Road the other day and over the bridge the other week and it popped into my head, that river looks incapable of such danger.

do you remember that incident corn? i hate to say it, but i am glad i was sick and laid up in bed that day, as i would have been part of the group that would have been pulling that young lad out!! don't know how any of them cope with that!

I do, I was very young, but one of the ones that sticks out in my mind. Happened close to the pub didn;t it?

stpauls

Quote from: corn02 on June 25, 2009, 01:33:13 PM
Quote from: stpauls on June 25, 2009, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: corn02 on June 25, 2009, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: stpauls on June 25, 2009, 01:10:38 PM
Same thing happened to a family that lived close to me growing up, there was a fair bit of rain, and the river behind our house flooded, and the kids were paddling in the water that had flowed up into the fields around the river. one of the lads walked a bit to far into it and misjudged were the bank was and got pulled in, and dragged down stream. a few of the neighbours were able to follow him and pull him out, but he had been too long under and ended up in a coma and eventually died. one of the guys that pulled him out had been a pioneer to that day, and has never been the same man since!!

May he rest in peace, and my thoughts are with his family!!

Was the first thing that came into my head this morning St Pauls, was driving down Bog Road the other day and over the bridge the other week and it popped into my head, that river looks incapable of such danger.

do you remember that incident corn? i hate to say it, but i am glad i was sick and laid up in bed that day, as i would have been part of the group that would have been pulling that young lad out!! don't know how any of them cope with that!

I do, I was very young, but one of the ones that sticks out in my mind. Happened close to the pub didn;t it?

that's where they eventually pulled him out, he fell in at the play ground up above the estate i used to live in, up by the school.

Minder

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on June 25, 2009, 12:42:36 PM
HeartBreaking story...Feel sorry for his family.

Actions should be taken now to make sure that this never happens there again..
What actions can be taken to stop a youngster playing by a river?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Mid Down Gael

Lad just burried in Hilltown this morning. awful sad. Heartfelt sympathy to his family. Must be the worst nightmare for a parent.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Minder on June 25, 2009, 02:02:32 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on June 25, 2009, 12:42:36 PM
HeartBreaking story...Feel sorry for his family.

Actions should be taken now to make sure that this never happens there again..
What actions can be taken to stop a youngster playing by a river?

His parents might stop him going there for a start...Maybe fence it off..No?

When i was young i wasn't allowed near the canal at home but did go until i was caught...Didn't go after!

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Hoof Hearted

i always hated hearing stories like this involving kids, but when you have your own it's 100 times worse. You feel like crying and their not even your own or anyone you know. IF it was your own i dont know what you would do - worst nightmare. Deepest symathies to the Andre family and all the families who have suffered recently
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012