Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

mortified

Quote from: highorlow on July 02, 2009, 10:45:19 AM
Just watched a repeat of the Sligo v Galway game the other night.

A very high standard of football and probably the match of the year so far.

Mayo will have there work cut out against a very physical Galway team and if we give Joyce the freedom of Salthill we are in big trouble.

This all adds up to Galway been the hottest of favorites for Connaught and looking like favorites again for Sam.

I suppose Mayo will have to look again through the back door.

I actually think you were watching a different game :o, because the standard in my opinion was very poor, some of the players could not even solo the ball, your entitled to your opinion I suppose.
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

Farrandeelin

Bloody hell lads and lassies, am I the only one who think highorlow wrote that in jest??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 02, 2009, 07:37:48 PM
Bloody hell lads and lassies, am I the only one who think highorlow wrote that in jest??

No I'm just amazed how many people thought he was being serious.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 02, 2009, 07:58:06 PM

Clearly ripping the piss and I ve yet to see a recording of the match.

seafoid

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2009, 08:48:55 PM
seeing as cork and tyrone are in the other side of the connaght Draw in athe AI semis i would be not atall suprised to see mayo in another AI final. and would gfancy us taking tyrone in the final less so than cork. not that tyrone are worse than cork jsut horses for courses.
Yes mayo very worried after the derry games and belive me we were throwing up at half time in the donegal game but since then mayo have found form shape and a few new players.where as galway have gone seriously backward, maybe in an elaborate plot to fool mayo but , last sunday they looked old and tired, maybe not a happy camp? so why would mayo people not have a lot more confidence now,
that For me is studying the form not being fickle.

Mayo optimism godhelpus. It comes around with the midges. And disappears as the evenings start to draw in.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2009, 08:31:27 PM
seeing as cork and tyrone are in the other side of the connaght Draw in athe AI semis i would be not atall suprised to see mayo in another AI final. and would gfancy us taking tyrone in the final less so than cork. not that tyrone are worse than cork jsut horses for courses.
Yes mayo very worried after the derry games and belive me we were throwing up at half time in the donegal game but since then mayo have found form shape and a few new players.where as galway have gone seriously backward, maybe in an elaborate plot to fool mayo but , last sunday they looked old and tired, maybe not a happy camp? so why would mayo people not have a lot more confidence now,

Mayo optimism godhelpus. It comes around with the midges. And disappears as the evenings start to draw in.

Just remember it's only rosnarun and Mayo Mick who are at this. I' actually thought Mayo would win Connacht but now I'm beginning to reconsider it. Galway did enough to beat sligo. It's a 50/50 game and it will be interesting to see if Mayo can lay their Salthill hoodoo to rest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

If they are good enough let them win it. I don't think Galway are going to make many waves this year. But once we get a decent team going again...

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 01, 2009, 09:54:09 AM
As for Bane being dangerous "if given space"?
Everyone is dangerous given space... when I head down to my local pitch having a few shots when no-one is around I have plenty of space and im pinging them over!  ;)  :P

Can't let this one pass. You weren't too lethal when you had an open goal from two yards out and you put it wide with no one near you in a recent junior match in Clogher! Plenty of space that time Abbeysider! It made Ronnie Rosenthal look like Torres! :D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

criostlinn

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on July 01, 2009, 05:43:28 PM
QuoteWould you sacrifice the Connacht title for a better crack at the All-Ireland?
Absolutely. Every day of the week.

And until Mayo start thinking that way we can forget about All-Irelands.

I think the better crack this year is to win connacht, seen as the back door game is played 6 days after the final, it could be curtains for one of these teams in a week.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on July 02, 2009, 08:23:24 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 02, 2009, 07:58:06 PM

Clearly ripping the piss and I ve yet to see a recording of the match.
Well, wait no longer. Trot your mouse over to http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1051078 and tell us what you think.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 02, 2009, 08:33:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2009, 08:31:27 PM

Just remember it's only rosnarun and Mayo Mick who are at this. I' actually thought Mayo would win Connacht but now I'm beginning to reconsider it. Galway did enough to beat sligo. It's a 50/50 game and it will be interesting to see if Mayo can lay their Salthill hoodoo to rest.

theres not a word of a lie in that post at least im not resoerting to the supernatural hoodoo to look for an excuse to fail  to compensate for something deep in your childhood you may wish to share with us.
Like I said about roscommon there is no logical reason why galway should even be close to may in salthill or any other enchanted ground they may have either
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The flame still burns

Off topic I know but a preview of the Mayo club championship games here for anyone who wants a break from the Conn final talk

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/moving-day-in-the-club-championship/

Duine Eile

So who should be midfield for Galway? We've had Conroy, O'Donnell, Lydon, Cullinane, Coleman, even Tom Hughes during the league and still it's anybody's guess who will get the positions. We'll probably have Mike Meehan, Sean Armstrong, Padraic and Nicky Joyce in our forward line, tremendous scoring power IF we can get the ball past midfield. If we don't break even in midfield, we haven't a hope.

moysider

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 03, 2009, 12:11:47 AM
So who should be midfield for Galway? We've had Conroy, O'Donnell, Lydon, Cullinane, Coleman, even Tom Hughes during the league and still it's anybody's guess who will get the positions. We'll probably have Mike Meehan, Sean Armstrong, Padraic and Nicky Joyce in our forward line, tremendous scoring power IF we can get the ball past midfield. If we don't break even in midfield, we haven't a hope.

Not necessarily Duine Eile. There is too much emphasis on this supposed Mayo midfield dominance. Mayo have lost championship matches in the past even though winning midfield 60/40 or even 70/30. Against Galway in 95 our midfield of Fallon and Colm Mac were so dominant they had the opportunities to kick 13 wides between them. Yet we lost by a cricket score. Other teams can cope and create with scrappy midfield ball but if we lose midfield we usually end up on the end of a hiding.

However I dont think that Galway s forwards are collectively of the vintage of 10 years ago. Even then matches between Mayo/Galway were often down to Mayo s lack of cut. We usually coped with Joyce, Ja, Donnellan and Finnegan well. Paul Clancy and Savage were the ones I feared most. While Johnno with his indulgent defensive selections last 2 years gave Galway a big head start, he may have sorted things this time around. If so I believe he we have a good chance even though I expect Galway to turn middle third into a mill. Whoever Galway play at 8 or 9 are going to be more competitive than Higgins or Finneran. And unless Galway are way off the mark they should break even enough at midfield. If I were Sammon I would be looking at Coleman and Cullinane seriously if they are nearly right. Either Conroy or Bergin starting as out and out midfielders would be great for Mayo.

To be honest I think both Sammon and Johnno have an awful lot of cred riding on this one. More pressure on Johnno because he got last 2 years so wrong and has to produce. Losing in Castlebar last year in the manner we did bordered on the unforgivable.