Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myball22

You can't beat experience and I would want Joyce on the ball in the last few minutes. Of course it all depends what kind of ball you are giving in to him.

The question is would you want to win the Connacht title. Last year provincial champions Galway, Dublin and Armagh were all beat in the QFs and Cork could have been caught only they meet a piss poor Kildare team. Would you sacrifice the Connacht title for a better crack at the All-Ireland?

HowAreYeGettinOn

QuoteWould you sacrifice the Connacht title for a better crack at the All-Ireland?
Absolutely. Every day of the week.

And until Mayo start thinking that way we can forget about All-Irelands.

rosnarun

seeing as cork and tyrone are in the other side of the connaght Draw in athe AI semis i would be not atall suprised to see mayo in another AI final. and would gfancy us taking tyrone in the final less so than cork. not that tyrone are worse than cork jsut horses for courses.
Yes mayo very worried after the derry games and belive me we were throwing up at half time in the donegal game but since then mayo have found form shape and a few new players.where as galway have gone seriously backward, maybe in an elaborate plot to fool mayo but , last sunday they looked old and tired, maybe not a happy camp? so why would mayo people not have a lot more confidence now,
that For me is studying the form not being fickle.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

Just watched a repeat of the Sligo v Galway game the other night.

A very high standard of football and probably the match of the year so far.

Mayo will have there work cut out against a very physical Galway team and if we give Joyce the freedom of Salthill we are in big trouble.

This all adds up to Galway been the hottest of favorites for Connaught and looking like favorites again for Sam.

I suppose Mayo will have to look again through the back door.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

An Fhairche Abu

I see the Mayo lads are already thinking about what size winning margin they will be able to inflict on Galway.

I'll leave ye to the next 20 pages of this thread to go over every possible permutation of the winning Mayo lineup for the Connacht Final 2009.

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on July 02, 2009, 10:45:19 AM
Just watched a repeat of the Sligo v Galway game the other night.

A very high standard of football and probably the match of the year so far.

Mayo will have there work cut out against a very physical Galway team and if we give Joyce the freedom of Salthill we are in big trouble.

This all adds up to Galway been the hottest of favorites for Connaught and looking like favorites again for Sam.

I suppose Mayo will have to look again through the back door.

You are having a laugh surely ?

highorlow

QuoteYou are having a laugh surely ?

With Kerry and Armagh out of the race, Galway must be favorites for the AI this year.

Based on the Connaught semi final and standard of football on view Sligo should fancy at least an AIQF spot or even a Semi-Final place. Name a match that was better than it this year?

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on July 02, 2009, 12:53:41 PM
Name a match that was better than it this year?

The quality of the football was bad for the Sligo V Galway game. The lazy shooting from both sides but especially from Sligo was very poor. Between Sligos lack of composure not taking their chances to finish off Galway, and Galway sitting back after 20 minutes and never getting back out of third gear, it was a poor game to watch. Galway getting pounded at mid-field and still managing to win the game and Paraic Joyce beginning to show his lack of pace and age. Sean Armstrong showing his stuff was the only saving grace.

All in all, I thought it was frustrating to watch.

Every analyst and practically most Galway fans here agreed that it was a bad performance. And Sligo fans wouldnt be happy with their moral victory when the game was there for them to be won.

To answer your question, I enjoyed Cork's systematic demolition of Kerry.
The quality of football was far better IMO.

Farrandeelin

What's the 'easiest' way of getting to Pearse Stadium? It's probably already been discussed but from the N17, would it be to go as far as you can and meet up with the N6 and continue out that direction? Thing is, I don't know Galway city too well at all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 02, 2009, 01:37:59 PM
What's the 'easiest' way of getting to Pearse Stadium? It's probably already been discussed but from the N17, would it be to go as far as you can and meet up with the N6 and continue out that direction? Thing is, I don't know Galway city too well at all.

There's no easy way to get to it really without avoiding traffic. You'll have to drive straight through Galway city out to Salthill. To be honest I would recommend leaving the car in the city centre somewhere and walking back into town to collect it afterwards. Would take about 25 minutes. If you hop in the car in Salthill it might be the guts of an hour until you even make it back into the city centre. Either that or head into a pub for an hour and let the traffic ease off a little before heading.

If you were really adventurous you could probably come down through smaller roads into Connemara through Leenane and Maam Cross and drive east towards Salthill once you hit the coast. That way you would avoid the vast majority of the traffic and would only have to contend with Galway fans from Connemara on the road. Would hardly be worth it though unless you were coming from west Mayo.

Farrandeelin

I'll probably end up doing as you've told me to do in the first paragraph. Leave the car in the city centre and walk the rest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highorlow

QuoteWhat's the 'easiest' way of getting to Pearse Stadium?

Jetski

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 02, 2009, 01:37:59 PM

Helicopter Deelin. Especially if you dont know the city. If you drive in blind it could be midnight before you get a chance to check out the wellbeing of the herd again. Having spent some time there myself I have some local knowledge that I put to some good effect. In involves parking up in housing estates and taking advantage of ratruns and jumping garden walls to get in and out without too much hassle.

At least there is no airshow on this year.

Zulu

Lads I'm hoping to get a bit of a crew together for this game (none of us from either county) would any of ye know what's the best way to get tickets for this game? I'd have a few contacts in both counties but I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking them to come up with 5 or 6 tickets for 'outsiders'. I might be able to get one myself through other CB's but it's up to me to get tickets for the rest as well and I'd ideally like us to be in at least the same stand.

moysider

i d say forget about the stand for a start. Only a modest capacity. Your best bet would be to ring Connacht Council offices and enquire about having sideline tickets posted to you if you cant have them picked up in person. Get your cheque away asap as the tickets will be soon available. 0949630335. Let us know how you get on.