U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Started by Seany, June 22, 2009, 02:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seany

I know there's a thread somewhere else on this but it's too far away now.

Just wonderin is anyone else of the same opinion that now 'on mature recollection' after listening to the album and allowing it to sink in, that it's probably their best work ever?

I personally think it's a masterpiece now after initially thinking it wasn't up to much.

INDIANA

Think its distinctly average and the talk of it being a masterpiece is being used to sell out concerts that they had difficulty selling out. Comparing it to the Joshua Tree or Actung Baby is lunacy IMO.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on June 22, 2009, 03:28:58 PM
Think its distinctly average and the talk of it being a masterpiece is being used to sell out concerts that they had difficulty selling out. Comparing it to the Joshua Tree or Actung Baby is lunacy IMO.

I like it and think some of the stuff will sound great live.

But it is not a masterpiece and would even be ranked 3rd of the last 3 for me.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

I would measure how good an album is by the number of tracks I would skip over because "I wasnt fussed" on them.

No need to do that on this one.....while the album itself may not be the masterpeice that The Joshua Tree is... some of the tunes on it are brilliant....Moment of Surrender stands out a mile from a collection of great songs.
The Aristocrat Years

Maguire01

The Joshua Tree is nowhere near U2's best work. There appears to be this common opinion (or misconception?) that it is U2's classic. It's a good album, but for me, it doesn't stand the test of time as much as other U2 albums. Plus certain tracks are just overplayed at this stage.

As for the new album - haven't listened to it in a few months now. Would need to go back to it, but it hasn't been calling me.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 22, 2009, 04:06:38 PM
The Joshua Tree is nowhere near U2's best work. There appears to be this common opinion (or misconception?) that it is U2's classic. It's a good album, but for me, it doesn't stand the test of time as much as other U2 albums. Plus certain tracks are just overplayed at this stage.

As for the new album - haven't listened to it in a few months now. Would need to go back to it, but it hasn't been calling me.

I might be a Luddite but for me 'Boy' is still my favourite. I could listen to it all week without skipping anything.

MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

I hated, and still hate The Joshua Tree.  My three favourite U2 albums are: (i) Unforgettable Fire, (ii) Achtung Baby and (iii) Boy.  I didn't think much of No Line on the Horizon at first, but the kids have been playing it a lot, and it's definitely growing on me, much more than the last few albums.  
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Treasurer

I wasn't fussed on the first couple of listens but am really getting to like it now.  "Boy" is stlll my favourite too.

AbbeySider

I think No Line on the Horizon is their worst album ever. After giving it a few listens I think its near the end for U2

HowAreYeGettinOn

'No Line' is a decent, four-stars-out-of-five effort imho. Don't know what else we can expect from U2 at this stage - they're not going to make an Acthung Baby or Joshua Tree again. The level of hunger required for them to do that just isn't there. They're outlandishly rich, all of their comtemporaries (REM, Smiths, New Order etc) are broken up or irrelevant - they're just too comfortable (artistically and financially).

I gave 'No Line' a spin this week after avoiding it for a month. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Having said that, I'm skipping 'Get On Your Boots', 'Crazy Tonight' and 'White As Snow' - can't be bothered with them at this stage. The rest of it's pretty good.

DennistheMenace

U2 - One of the most overrated bands ever.

stew

This is an album that remined me a bit of pulp fiction, I didnt like it the first time through it however after listening to it a few more times I changed my tune on it, i really like it although Actung baby, boy and the Joshua tree probably shade it. Pulp fiction was a movie tat required several viewings to really grasp all that was going on.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

glens73

Quote from: muppet on June 22, 2009, 04:19:08 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 22, 2009, 04:06:38 PM

I might be a Luddite but for me 'Boy' is still my favourite. I could listen to it all week without skipping anything.

My view as well, 'Boy' is a great album. The new one is middling to bollocks, another fairly bland album that so many bands produce these days. (Coldplay, Keane, The Killers, etc.)

Seany

Not too sure it's bland.  I was never a big fan of Joshua Tree.  It was a bit like Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms, one of those commercial albums that sold millions, but when U2 returned to what they do best in Achtung Baby, they were slated at the time by those who expected another JT, but were never gonna get another dose of that medicine from a band like U2.

I just think this album will stand the test of time.   

5 Sams

Just trawling through some of the comments on U2 and the new album....looks like either people hate them or love them....music wise I have a sneaking suspicion that most people like their music but St Bono of Killiney puts them off.

If Bono kept his mouth shut would they be more popular????
The Aristocrat Years