Qualifier Round 1 - Fear Manach v Cill Mhantáin

Started by Caid, June 21, 2009, 06:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

plenty of green dejection on here, shame but understandable.

gonna be a tough encounter and o'rourke has a job on his hands to get the heads and tactics right against wicklow and the old master of the GAA

in 2 minds about travelling 2.5 hours to watch what will probably be a nail biter
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ExiledGael

Found this languishing on page four.
Any of the Fermanagh posters know when the team will be named? Seamie Quigley will be the inteeresting one. Big decision for O'Rourke but he's had a decent look at him now and knows how committed he's been to the training lately.

Emmett

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 02, 2009, 06:11:24 PM
Found this languishing on page four.
Any of the Fermanagh posters know when the team will be named? Seamie Quigley will be the inteeresting one. Big decision for O'Rourke but he's had a decent look at him now and knows how committed he's been to the training lately.

The team will be named to the press tonight but whether or not it will be accurate is another thing.  I would like to see Seamie Quigley start, he is without doubt the most accurate forward we have in the County and may just be what we have been crying out for. Hopefully the pressure of the occasion doesn't get to him. Here is my preferred lineup.....

Gallagher (just shades Breen, but not much between them)
Goan (he has the pace I feel we have been missing at the back)
Lyons (deserves another chance at fullback, won't be long til Owens is back in his rightful position though)
Bogue (always steady)
Kelly (over his injury now. Solid defender and he has an eye for a score)
McCluskey (Hopefully clucker is match fit and back to his brilliant best)
T McElroy (Tommy's shooting boots weren't on the last day, can't see that happening again)
McGrath (We are due a big performance from our Captain)
Sherry (The qualifiers could really suit James Sherry, a more relaxed atmosphere could help him play his way into form)
Little (our worst player against Down but best player against Cavan. Will we start to see some consistency from the recently transferred Cavan Gaels player?)
McElroy (the normally dependable Ciaran McElroy was really poor against Cavan. I hope he does not play quite as deep on Saturday)
Maguire (Another player who is struggling for form. Moving him to the wings could help as he may have more space to express himself)
Quigley (If he has the commitment he could be a star)
Owens (Barry won't score huge tallys from FF but he will win a lot of primary ball if the ball is delivered early)
Carson (a really good player. He is not the great free taker the media portrayed him to be after the Down game but he is a quality player on the ball)

ExiledGael

Has Little actually transferred yet?
Think Owens will start the game whether he is named in the team or not. You're probably right in that he'll start in the forward line.
Agree about Blobby, one of our most naturally talented players.

FermGael

Team for Saturday. Taken from fermanagh.gaa.ie

Fermanagh manager Malachy O'Rourke has made a number of changes in the Fermanagh team to play Wicklow in the first round All-Ireland Qualifier game on Saturday. All the changes to the team which lost to Cavan in the Ulster Football championship are to the defence, Shane Lyons and Shane McDermott move to the subs bench with Hugh Brady moving to full-back from the corner and Shane Goan earning a starting spot in the corner. While in the half back line Ryan McCluskey moves to centre half back and Peter Sherry takes his place on the wing. The mid-field and forwards remain unchanged, with three new members of the squad, Niall McGovern, Seamus Quigley and Paul Cosgrove take their place on the subs bench.

1Chris Breen
2Niall Bogue
3Hugh Brady
4Shane Goan   
5Peter Sherry
6Ryan McCluskey
7Tommy McElroy   
8Martin McGrath
9James Sherry   
10Ryan Keenan
11Ciaran McElroy
12Mark Little
13Daryl Keenan
14Ryan Carson
15Eamon Maguire
16Ronan Gallagher
17Damien Kelly
18Niall McGovern
19Shane Lyons
20Shane McDermott
21Pat Cadden
22Michael Jones
23Daniel Kille
24Rory Foy
25Shane O'Brien
26Enda Ferris
27Liam McBarron
28Seamus Quigley
29Barry Owens
30Paul Cosgrove
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

I wouldn't read  too much into that team selection. As always, there will be changes before Saturday. I'll take a punt and say that Seamus Quigley will start!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caid

Hope that team doesn't start.

Against Cavan Malachy started the team named to the press....not much merit in trying to play mind games with Micko anyway as he has a tendancy to play his own game and begorrah to the opposition
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Erne Gael

Maguire01

I think Fermanagh will take this one with a few to spare - if it had been in Enniskillen, i'd expect it to be a comfortable margin.

Fermanagh kicked themselves out of the Cavan game - they're a better team that Cavan, despite their problems up front. Given what happened Westmeath last weekend, it maybe puts Wicklow's last game into perspective.

Caid

Players would will be very lucky to start based on last day
3Hugh Brady
10Ryan Keenan
11Ciaran McElroy
13Daryl Keenan

Players not named who may have claim on a starting place
Damian Kelly
Rory Foy
Barry Owens
Shane O'Brien
Enda Ferris

Would be very surprised if Malachy started Quigley. Emmett and i posted similar teams above and I would stand by it.  Would still rather have Lyons than Brady every day of the week and would like to see what Owens and Carson do in a two man FF line. But again I think this would be too radical a move for Malachy...

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

I'm about to head down the road to Wicklow. It's hard to know how this game will go. On paper Fermanagh should win, but Wicklow will fancy their chances, especially with home advantage. I hope Seamus Quigley gets some game time today. He's the most talented forward in Fermanagh football at the moment. If we can win tonight and put in a decent performance, then hopefully we can gather some momentum through the qualifiers.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Maguire01

What happened Fermanagh this evening? That's the last time I stick a few quid on them - should have known better after getting burnt for the Cavan game!

JMohan

That'll be end of Quinns support after that I'd say

ExiledGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 03:14:02 AM
What happened Fermanagh this evening? That's the last time I stick a few quid on them - should have known better after getting burnt for the Cavan game!

Need another few hours before I can put that game into words. Totally shocking display but fair play to Wicklow and good luck to them in the qualifiers. Totally deserved the win.

ExiledGael

Right think I'll start with the positives here.
Aughrim is a beautiful place.
It didn't rain.
They had a student rate.
After that we'd be clutching at straws. Seamie Quigley was very encouraging early on and scored a savage point off his right and a long range free off the ground. Seemed to pick up an arm injury mid-way through the half and didn't reappear after the break. Honestly don't think we'd have lost that game if he'd stayed on.
Blobby also looked in from alongside him but it wasn't long before he was called out the field as we were being obliterated at midfield. From there he set up a few attacks when they went down to 14 with some great foot passing but the goal gave us a bit of a false outlook on the first half. Great move though for that goal with James Sherry getting forward and finishing well. Apart from that and one clean catch at midfield he struggled to make any real headway against Stafford and Walsh.
Not going to start lashing at players but almost everyone was off colour. We threatened to get back into it after Paul Cosgrove came in at midfield and though he didn't catch anything it at least stopped them winning primary possession.
With McCluskey on (can't figure out why he didn't start) setting up our attacks we hit three scores on the bounce but then Marty (long since rescued from his torture at midfield and sent to full-forward) hit the upright from 25 yards to level the game. Eamon Maguire missed another chance to draw level and they went up and pulled four points clear again, game over.
Chris Breen made a few great one on one saves that would have really but us out of our misery but with the malaise at midfield he didn't seem capable of hitting anything short and when he tried it went straight to one of their players who tapped over the point.
Good to see Owens lasting a full game also I suppose.
Conceding 17 points to Wicklow is not good though and we really struggled with our gameplan I thought.
We started off man for man at the back but it soon became clear that wasn't working with Brady especially in trouble on Furlong. After about 15 minutes Tommy became sweeper and as the game wore on McCluskey was the free man.
Marty moved from midfield to full-forward quite early and at the start of the second half for aboput 15 minutes our inside forward line was Marty and Ciaran McElroy. Not exactly dangerous but to be fair to both they were out of position. Ciaran was took off again after 20 minutes after making no real impact.
Wicklow can have no complaints about either sending off. They were obviously told to stop the runners from defence and they paid the price for dragging people to the ground persistently. Think they'd have won if they'd started with 13 men though.
Just a bad day and a bad year.