Started by orangeman, June 21, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: awfulynice on June 22, 2009, 01:23:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 22, 2009, 11:23:48 AM
Quote from: awfulynice on June 22, 2009, 11:13:30 AM
Quote from: Tankie on June 22, 2009, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: awfulynice on June 22, 2009, 09:24:42 AM
Dublin were last in the final in '91...just heard it on the radio yesterday...im actually a bit suprised that it isnt further back to be honest!

Congrats to Dublin, commiserations to Wexford there wasnt much between the teams at the end despite Dublin's earlier dominance. I fancy dublin to give everything in the final, I pray the hill isnt full of blue on the day as it will mean a pile of plastic dubs have shown up like they do for the football, they arent true supporters and will more than likely be too locked to even know the score by the end of the game.

If Dublin play with the same intensity I think they will stick with them for a lot of the match (I hope) but I cant see them being within a score of Kilkenny at the end. KK will have been warned after the league game between the two sides and may be welcoming back some regulars competing for starting places so I cant see Dublin catching them on the hop.

Best of luck in the final...real progress in leinster this year, it is now uber competitive between the first five teams..and there is nothing to say antrim cant take a step up in the coming years. Its been a better provincial championship than munster this year so far and with the teams currently in it, probably will be for the foreseeable future

would you shut up talking shite, hurling is not supported in Dublin like football was not supported in Wexford until 5years ago - that doesnt mean the people that go now are not GAA people. also i dont think there is any need to worry about a bandwagon of non gaa people as they would have no interest in watching this game i would think....

Im not talking shite as you like to put it, there is many a dublin person that goes to the football games that dont actually know the team. I would hate to see their hurling fans be infiltrated by these plastic dubs that werent at the game yesterday and didnt even know it was on. Im talking about my brother in law and his mates who are part of this brigade. I also used to work with Stephen Cluxetons sister who was often telling us stories of dubs fans saying stupid stuff to her brother after the matches. Im not tarring all dubs fans with this brush but im afraid there is a minority that are clueless and only go for a drinking session unfortunately

Same as every county .Sure their is a small minority of the Offaly support have run the country in to the ground but we don't pin that on the lot of you.

Gnevin...reread my post. I wasnt pinning it on the lot of you. In fact I was saying the exact opposite that i didnt want those yobbos that turn up for the football to start ruining the hurling matches aswell, they are the opposite to the gaa ethos and completely ruin the enjoyment of matches for the teams playing them. Dublin hurling fans are not this, there are a loyal bunch of a couple of thousand that turn up to the games and id hate to see what will be their glory day (whatever the outcome) marred by a few drunken idiots who wouldnt know a sliotar from a cricket ball.

i think Gnevin was trying to say that every country has plastic fans, the nordie teams over the past ten years have proved that.....
Grand Slam Saturday!

slow corner back

Antrim Hurlers havent, no more than 3000 Antrim fans at any match for the last 15 years >:(

Tankie

Quote from: slow corner back on June 22, 2009, 11:01:02 PM
Antrim Hurlers havent, no more than 3000 Antrim fans at any match for the last 15 years >:(

but apparently they are true fans and anyone else is not welcome as they are only plastic fans which want to go on the piss.....   ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

awfulynice

Quote from: Tankie on June 23, 2009, 12:03:05 AM

but apparently they are true fans and anyone else is not welcome as they are only plastic fans which want to go on the piss.....   ::)

Tankie in fairness...there are very few other counties that have many fans that travel to go on the piss...why because its generally about 100 miles away from their home and they have to drive...so no there is no makeup quite like the dublin football fans.

Premier Emperor

You don't have to learn any player names being a Dublin supporter.
Just refer to them by the number on their back when you're abusing them!
No one on the Hill will bat an eyelid.

EddieMerx

Jebus lads, the poor Dublin hurlers get a bit of success and they are criticized for the supporters that may follow them. I like Dublin hurling supporters, of all the counties you couldn't meet a nicer bunch with a great sense of humour. If they do bring 50,000 to Croker of which 40k will be plastic I for one would wish the Dubs all the best because of the good times I have had with those hardcore Dub fans.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Premier Emperor on June 23, 2009, 09:38:18 AM
You don't have to learn any player names being a Dublin supporter.
Just refer to them by the number on their back when you're abusing them!
No one on the Hill will bat an eyelid.

We should all aspire to be like the peace loving, knowledgable bunch that are Tipperary Supporters. Ask PJ Delaney. He has first hand experience of them.

awfulynice

Quote from: EddieMerx on June 23, 2009, 10:24:53 AM
Jebus lads, the poor Dublin hurlers get a bit of success and they are criticized for the supporters that may follow them. I like Dublin hurling supporters, of all the counties you couldn't meet a nicer bunch with a great sense of humour. If they do bring 50,000 to Croker of which 40k will be plastic I for one would wish the Dubs all the best because of the good times I have had with those hardcore Dub fans.

Eddie in fairness that wasnt my point at all. I said that theie genuine supporters are as good as any countys supporters. And that I would hate for them to get a bad name like the footballers who generally everyone outside dublin loves to hate.

AZOffaly

Well done Dubs. That was an unusual game in that it was one that was a )great to win, and b) needed to be won. Dublin simply had to beat either Wexford, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny this year to keep the momentum, but now that they've done it, it's great.

I don't fancy their chances of winning against Kilkenny, but I do think they'll be closer than Offaly or Wexford have managed recently. I'd maybe put Kilkenny 7 points winners at the end, but it would be great if Dublin could catch the Cats.

Finally, I know where awfulynice is coming from with regard to the supporters. I've always found Dublin hurlers and their fans to be brilliant, win lose or draw, and I was glad that Offaly and now Wexford, fans were gracious losers to the Dubs in Under 21 and Senior games recently. I think he phrased it badly, but I would understand where he's coming from. I'd like Dubln to become a de facto part of the hurling family, not a sideshow like the footballers are because of 'The Hill'. The most important thing is the games themselves, not the hoopla surrounding it.

INDIANA

You'd swear that no other fans had day trippers. I mean Jesus Christ you get to a leinster final and all you get is people complaining. What I'm looking for is the GAA to employ a bit of lateral thinking. u16's in free and not to extort the ticket prices. If they do that they'll get a crowd. You won't make money on this game so it should be run as a loss leader.
Wexford are in the minor final and have a great chance of landing their first leinster since the mid 80's- so they'll have more than for your average minor final.
Its a question of marketing. I know a lot of football fans who are going to this one -who wouldn't normally go. With the leinster football championship so uninteresting these days - there is a strong possibility with the addition of galway that the leinster hurling championship will be ahead of the football soon in terms of popularity.

AZOffaly

Quote from: INDIANA on June 23, 2009, 01:00:31 PM
You'd swear that no other fans had day trippers. I mean Jesus Christ you get to a leinster final and all you get is people complaining. What I'm looking for is the GAA to employ a bit of lateral thinking. u16's in free and not to extort the ticket prices. If they do that they'll get a crowd. You won't make money on this game so it should be run as a loss leader.
Wexford are in the minor final and have a great chance of landing their first leinster since the mid 80's- so they'll have more than for your average minor final.
Its a question of marketing. I know a lot of football fans who are going to this one -who wouldn't normally go. With the leinster football championship so uninteresting these days - there is a strong possibility with the addition of galway that the leinster hurling championship will be ahead of the football soon in terms of popularity.

I'd love to see Croker full of Dubs on July 4th Indiana, what I meant is that they support their team and just remember who is the star of the show. The cult of the 'Hill' in my view detracts from Dublin as a football team, especially during Pillar's reign with the walks down there, the arse boxing (copyright Tommy Lyons) with Mayo, etc etc. Day trippers are fine, if we didn't have Day trippers our championship games would have the same attendences as League Games in March. I just hope the 'meeja' and the fans remember who's actually playing, and who the story should be. Hint, they'll be wearing blue, and carrying hurls, not wearing blue and carrying flags.

awfulynice

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 23, 2009, 12:46:31 PM
Well done Dubs. That was an unusual game in that it was one that was a )great to win, and b) needed to be won. Dublin simply had to beat either Wexford, Offaly, Galway or Kilkenny this year to keep the momentum, but now that they've done it, it's great.

I don't fancy their chances of winning against Kilkenny, but I do think they'll be closer than Offaly or Wexford have managed recently. I'd maybe put Kilkenny 7 points winners at the end, but it would be great if Dublin could catch the Cats.

Finally, I know where awfulynice is coming from with regard to the supporters. I've always found Dublin hurlers and their fans to be brilliant, win lose or draw, and I was glad that Offaly and now Wexford, fans were gracious losers to the Dubs in Under 21 and Senior games recently. I think he phrased it badly, but I would understand where he's coming from. I'd like Dubln to become a de facto part of the hurling family, not a sideshow like the footballers are because of 'The Hill'. The most important thing is the games themselves, not the hoopla surrounding it.

Jaysus il give another go and this..i dont think youre reading my posts at all or something

I was speaking about the dublin FOOTBALLERS fans and the way they act in and around croke park on match day.

The generall GAA thing is to go to the match roar on your team and have some banter with the opposing team, ive done this with all the prevalent counties in hurling including dublin over the last number of years and have often had a chat about the match afterwards with the opposing side.

This is not possible at a dublin football match and it is a different atmosphere...where I would personally not like to be walking out of the ground on my own even after a dublin football match...i was getting hit from behind by dublin football "fans" after they beat us in the Leinster football final.

I would hate if the hurling team attracts this kind of crowd aswell. For a number of reasons

A) It would definately ruin my impression of dublin supporters and my enjoyment of any future matches with Dublin, and I would assume a lot of other peoples

B) This kind of crowd is no use to you, most of the hurling matches for dublin will be played away from croke park...dont expect them to travel when you need them the most

C) It would make 99% of the rest of the country despise dublin hurling teams, who would be malligned because of no fault of their own.

Indiana, I would have no problem letting U-16s in for free...there was always a discount scheme run through the clubs (at least there used to be) and it was a great way of getting fans going and helping the game at grassroots level. I spent many a sunday in summer on a bus up to the nally stand when i was a young lad!!

I think it would be the best idea to run it through the clubs rather than just a free for all...as it will ensure that the people you let in for free are genuinenly interested and will get the most benefit from the free admission

Tankie

Quote from: awfulynice on June 23, 2009, 08:40:18 AM

Tankie in fairness...there are very few other counties that have many fans that travel to go on the piss...why because its generally about 100 miles away from their home and they have to drive...so no there is no makeup quite like the dublin football fans.

I would disagree - when the Armagh and Tyrone bandwagon are you actually telling me non f then were piss head fans? Or Kilkenny, Kerry or Laois fans for a big game or a final.....
Grand Slam Saturday!

awfulynice

Quote from: Tankie on June 23, 2009, 01:36:39 PM

I would disagree - when the Armagh and Tyrone bandwagon are you actually telling me non f then were piss head fans? Or Kilkenny, Kerry or Laois fans for a big game or a final.....

Well I cant claim to know anything about Armagh, Tyrone or Kerry fans..they are footballing teams and we havent played them in quite a while. Perhaps they have the same piss head fans as dublin im not sure...if it is it is to their shame.

Laois & Kilkenny I know quite well as we play them every year and id definately disagree that they get piss head fans. Ive never had a problem with their fans and ive never been treated anything as badly as at dublin football matches...i also dont remember them having the same amount or level of drunkedness as a dublin football match

INDIANA

Quote from: awfulynice on June 23, 2009, 01:44:25 PM
Quote from: Tankie on June 23, 2009, 01:36:39 PM

Well I cant claim to know anything about Armagh, Tyrone or Kerry fans..they are footballing teams and we havent played them in quite a while. Perhaps they have the same piss head fans as dublin im not sure...if it is it is to their shame.

Laois & Kilkenny I know quite well as we play them every year and id definately disagree that they get piss head fans. Ive never had a problem with their fans and ive never been treated anything as badly as at dublin football matches...i also dont remember them having the same amount or level of drunkedness as a dublin football match

So I'm a pisshead now because I go and watch the footballers? Of course no other county has pissheads of fans or who can't get to the ground on time.  I mean you're walking a tightrope with posts like that. The vast majority of Dublin football fans are fine. There is a perception created by a minority that we are all coke sniffing, tracksuit wearing, unemployed dole lifers, raging alcoholics that haven't  a watch between us.

I don't care who goes from Dublin. There is a certain snob element in relation to the dublin hurling support that would prefer to see 3,000 dubs rather than 30,000 because they wouldn't be termed "real" fans. Is it any wonder with thinking like that its taken 18 years. Thankfully the people in the county board who setup our development system didn't have such chips on their shoulders.