Tipping in General - what do people think?

Started by Tankie, June 18, 2009, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

I was just wondering what people thought of tipping?

Ever since my time in America and my yearly visits I have been tipping - so about 7 years now but i was chatting to a mate and he was saying that he never tips. I generally tip arounf 10% - 15% depending on the service but my mates view was that these people are generally well paid and their wages are included in the meal but in the US it is different and the staff are very low paid as their wages is based on tips so these people may be on only a few dollors an hour and then tips, I generally tip standard or good service but i've been thinking about it over the last few days and I am wondering is he right........should we be tipping waiters when we dont tip anyone else?

I was in a burger place the other day and the bill cam to €67 and i left a €7 tip but when i think the service was fine and pleasent but thats only doing your job.....would others have tipped?
Grand Slam Saturday!

longball

Do u tip the person that serves you at McDonalds?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Tankie

no and thats my mates point, he reckons people just feel guilty or something when there is someone serving you at a table...
Grand Slam Saturday!

A Quinn Martin Production

I generally only tip if the service has been very very good or if the person serving has gone out of his/her way to be helpful.  Like you Tankie I tipped as a matter of course for a long time but started to become more choosy about 4 or 5 years ago.

I've NEVER tipped in McDonalds.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Maguire01

Quote from: Tankie on June 18, 2009, 05:13:56 PM
I was just wondering what people thought of tipping?

Ever since my time in America and my yearly visits I have been tipping - so about 7 years now but i was chatting to a mate and he was saying that he never tips. I generally tip arounf 10% - 15% depending on the service but my mates view was that these people are generally well paid and their wages are included in the meal but in the US it is different and the staff are very low paid as their wages is based on tips so these people may be on only a few dollors an hour and then tips, I generally tip standard or good service but i've been thinking about it over the last few days and I am wondering is he right........should we be tipping waiters when we dont tip anyone else?

I was in a burger place the other day and the bill cam to €67 and i left a €7 tip but when i think the service was fine and pleasent but thats only doing your job.....would others have tipped?

I can only assume that your mate has never worked as a waiter. As someone who has, i'd tip around the 10% mark (if service is not already included on the bill), unless the service was crap, in which case I don't feel obliged to leave anything.

Maguire01

Quote from: longball on June 18, 2009, 05:15:08 PM
Do u tip the person that serves you at McDonalds?
You're not 'waited on' in McDonalds. It's no different to buying something at a shop counter.

Premier Emperor

I don't see why you should tip?
In America its a pain in the hole.
You have to give the bar man a dollar for removing the lid off a bottle.

It is getting as bad in Ireland. I had a meal come to €41 in Cork.
I gave the waiter a €50 note and he never came back. I had to go to the till and demand my €9.
They were really snotty about it of course.
The cheek of them for thinking they deserve a €9 tip.

longball

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 18, 2009, 05:19:43 PM
I generally only tip if the service has been very very good or if the person serving has gone out of his/her way to be helpful.  Like you Tankie I tipped as a matter of course for a long time but started to become more choosy about 4 or 5 years ago.

I've NEVER tipped in McDonalds.

I no a fella who worked in it and tipped a girl a couple of times in the disabled toilets.

I would never tip money in McDonalds either was just using a line out of reserviour dogs.

Generally if service has been good to the table and if i have spare change il throw it in the tip jar.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Archie Mitchell

Do they not get shit wages and the tips make up the most of their wages? On the past 2 holidays of mine to America, we used to tip $1 a drink when in the pubs and if we were on a tab during the day or when it wasn't busy we would usually throw a hefty tip at the end. Always got good service and free drinks as well so didn't mind doing it. If we were in a place that had shit service, we just wouldn't tip them.

ONeill

Bollocks. I thought we'd finally our first cow-tipping thread on gaaboard.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

There's a Polish bird in the Maccy D's in Lucan who I wouldn't mind tipping.........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: ONeill on June 18, 2009, 05:38:57 PM
Bollocks. I thought we'd finally our first cow-tipping thread on gaaboard.

Why don't you start one then?

Trevor Hill

I would always leave a decent tip if I got good food and good service, staff remember you if you are a good tipper and will remember you on your next visit. If I am left waiting too long I will just walk out.

screenmachine

We ordered a takeaway meal from a restaurant in the town and sent over this lad to collect it.  He said he stood at the front desk and they brought the food out.  It came to £16 or something.  He gave her a £20 note and she handed over the food and put his four pound in the tip plate.  He asked her what the f**k was she at?  She had to hoke the four pound back out then... You should have seen the head on him when he came back in to the bar, complainin about this miserable bitch who tried to take £4 off him for carrying a bag from the restaurant to the front desk!  :D :D
Proper order as well, I normally would leave some tip but ignorant cnuts who just take your change without asking need a slap...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Archie Mitchell

Alot of places also include the service charge in the bill so that's one to watch out for. One of the barmen pointed out this to us as we had tipped him on top of this and was decent enough to give it back. Meant we spent it on another few rounds though!