Racist attacks in Belfast

Started by ludermor, June 17, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

No minder and that was my point
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 03, 2009, 11:23:18 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 03, 2009, 10:26:31 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 03, 2009, 10:14:56 PM
For an Irish Republican to take the oath of allegiance to a British monarch is completely anathema to their entire raison d'etre

And governing Northern Ireland from a cosy office in Stormont is who's "raison d`etre" exactly?
The electorates'

Shame on them, eh?  ::)
And for Westminster?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 03, 2009, 11:45:29 PM
For an Irish Republican to take the oath of allegiance to a British monarch is completely anathema to their entire raison d'etre

And governing Northern Ireland from a cosy office in Stormont is who's "raison d`etre" exactly?
The electorates'

And for Westminster?
Here's what started this off;

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 03, 2009, 08:40:15 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 03, 2009, 08:32:13 PM
And Shinners dont get elected to her majestys parliaments at either Westminster or Stormont? Catch a grip of yourself.
They don't take oaths of allegiance as they don't take their seats in Westminster, in Stormont they don't have to take an oath of allegiance
I merely pointed out how Irish Republicans would see the oath of allegiance to the queen.
Why you want to twist the thread to a different agenda, only you can answer.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 03, 2009, 11:11:42 PM
Did Bernadette Devlin-McAliskey take the oath away back when... can't really question her republican creditials all the same.
No she didn't take any oath.

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 03, 2009, 11:54:25 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 03, 2009, 11:45:29 PM

The electorates'

And for Westminster?
Here's what started this off;

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 03, 2009, 08:40:15 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 03, 2009, 08:32:13 PM
And Shinners dont get elected to her majestys parliaments at either Westminster or Stormont? Catch a grip of yourself.
They don't take oaths of allegiance as they don't take their seats in Westminster, in Stormont they don't have to take an oath of allegiance
I merely pointed out how Irish Republicans would see the oath of allegiance to the queen.
Why you want to twist the thread to a different agenda, only you can answer.
It's no big deal. I'm sure you could have ignored Trevor Hill's post too.
But anyway, back to the racists.

Oldhacker

Quick one for Donagh - Seamus Tracy was appointed a QC in September 2000, after the carry-on about the oath was abolished. Adrian Colton took the same road some five years later, so your comments about him were factually wrong. It is around 20 years since he had any political involvement. Will an apology follow ?

Donagh

Quote from: Oldhacker on July 04, 2009, 12:02:16 AM
Quick one for Donagh - Seamus Tracy was appointed a QC in September 2000, after the carry-on about the oath was abolished. Adrian Colton took the same road some five years later, so your comments about him were factually wrong. It is around 20 years since he had any political involvement. Will an apology follow ?

Very good hacker, I was waiting on someone pulling me on that, but why not use you regular name? Still I won't apologise for stating my belief, I've no respect for those that take an oath of allegiance to a foreign monarch be they Stoops or 'Queen's Counsel' (sic). Sure how could you trust a person like that?

Trevor Hill

Donagh how do you feel about Seamus Tracey becoming a high court judge?

Donagh

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 04, 2009, 12:37:57 AM
Donagh how do you feel about Seamus Tracey becoming a high court judge?

No opinion on it to be honest but he couldn't be any worse than that **** Kerr from down the street.

Trevor Hill

Surely its a good thing to have a somewhat sympathetic judge?

Donagh

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 04, 2009, 12:49:06 AM
Surely its a good thing to have a somewhat sympathetic judge?

A judge should be impartial not sympathetic to anyone, especially foreign monarchs and their lackeys. 

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Donagh on July 04, 2009, 01:09:25 AM
A judge should be impartial not sympathetic to anyone, especially foreign monarchs and their lackeys. 

Obviously that is true of all Judges in NI in the past  ::) Who do you class as foreign monarchs and their lackeys?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 03, 2009, 11:56:20 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 03, 2009, 11:11:42 PM
Did Bernadette Devlin-McAliskey take the oath away back when... can't really question her republican creditials all the same.
No she didn't take any oath.

You sure ardmhachaabu? How did she avoid it? Genuine question.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on July 04, 2009, 12:32:34 AM
Quote from: Oldhacker on July 04, 2009, 12:02:16 AM

Very good hacker, I was waiting on someone pulling me on that, but why not use you regular name? Still I won't apologise for stating my belief, I've no respect for those that take an oath of allegiance to a foreign monarch be they Stoops or 'Queen's Counsel' (sic). Sure how could you trust a person like that?

It seems to me that Old Hacker has caught you out playing 'fast and loose' with the truth here, and no aspersion about his [OH's] "regular name", or re-statement of your general belief etc, will serve to deflect from that.

For this is what you originally posted on this topic, in the context of Colton being a QC (and former SDLP candidate):

"In fairness to the BBC the da is a pretty prominent QC and former politician so they're probably fair game. Though I'm probably biased in that I can't say I've much respect for those who took silk before McDonald and Tracey got the oath abolished, but then again I suppose Stoopers have no problems swearing oaths to foreign monarchs"

I have no doubt that you knew that Colton took silk after the Oath was abolished (and also that it is many years since he was involved in SDLP politics, at a fairly low level). Consequently, I have no doubt either that you deliberately chose a form of words which would clearly imply that Colton took the Oath, but without actually saying it,  thereby condemning him in the eyes of less well-informed observers than you, whilst still leaving you "wriggle room", should someone* take you up on it.

Yet when I made an erroneous point about the Alliance Party on another thread, you immediately used that as an excuse to accuse me of being a "liar" (and a "frequent" one, at that), even after I acknowledged my error, with an explanation of what had led me to get it wrong.

Familiar with the phrase "Hoist by your own Petard", Donagh?  ::)

P.S. In your rush to condemn those who would "pledge allegiance to a foreign monarch", do you also include a certain Arthur Griffith, founder of, ahem, Sinn Fein, who campaigned for an Anglo-Irish Joint Monarchy, in a direct copy of the Hapsburg dominion over the two independent states of Austria and Hungary which prevailed at the time? For if Griffith had got his way, he and his fellow Shinners would have been swearing an Oath to Edward VII, King of Great Britain and also  King of Ireland...  :D

* -  Btw, rather than waiting  to see whether someone like OH would spot your deceit, I'd bet 'a pound to a shirt button' that you were actually hoping no-one would.

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"