Racist attacks in Belfast

Started by ludermor, June 17, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Can believe I am going to say this but I have to agree with hardstation.
We`ve all walked past various churches of different denominations with plenty of booze on board and none of us have ever felt the need to attack them for any reason whatsoever.

Tony Baloney

Why did Rois delete her post? Didn't think there was anything contentious in it.

ONeill

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 03, 2009, 12:09:15 AM
Can believe I am going to say this but I have to agree with hardstation.
We`ve all walked past various churches of different denominations with plenty of booze on board and none of us have ever felt the need to attack them for any reason whatsoever.

You could write a book on that 'phenomenon' but it's a book that won't be written for a good few years.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rois

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 03, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
Why did Rois delete her post? Didn't think there was anything contentious in it.

Ah I'm posting too much on this - I obviously know the family and my posts are starting to make me sound like I am excusing someone breaking windows in a church. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: hardstation on July 03, 2009, 12:00:31 AM
What? His law degree? I don't give a shit about that.

My point was that this is not a "drunken mistake" and that his "pint", had feck all to do with it. This was an act of a sc**bag.

Who knows why he did it (if proven - yawn), and of course it was the act of a sc**bag, no disagreement  there. Just accept the statement in the context it was said.
It's not condoning anything nor excusing anything. If he was a trainee spark and this would have affected his career then it would still have been a "costly pint (action)".
It's probably safe to assume that drink was taken - as these cowards rarely operate with out dutch courage. Again not an excuse - getting a bit tired having to qualify each point btw.
Tbc....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on July 03, 2009, 12:28:38 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 03, 2009, 12:20:32 AM

Ah I'm posting too much on this - I obviously know the family and my posts are starting to make me sound like I am excusing someone breaking windows in a church. 
I hope we can tell the difference between defending the act and defending the family, which is natural if you know them obviously. We'll give you a pass on this one ;)

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 03, 2009, 12:32:14 AM

My point was that this is not a "drunken mistake" and that his "pint", had feck all to do with it. This was an act of a sc**bag.

Who knows why he did it (if proven - yawn), and of course it was the act of a sc**bag, no disagreement  there. Just accept the statement in the context it was said.
It's not condoning anything nor excusing anything. If he was a trainee spark and this would have affected his career then it would still have been a "costly pint (action)".
It's probably safe to assume that drink was taken - as these cowards rarely operate with out dutch courage. Again not an excuse - getting a bit tired having to qualify each point btw.

Here we go- I dont get why you have a problem saying ..if proven. he has only been arrested and in this country of all places have we not learnt by now that certainly is not neccesarily mean he is guilty? Maybe he is tho... maybe not.  and before anyone says MJ there was  a bit more than an arrest leads me to be sure of his guilt..

Oldhacker

Some confused thinking going on here lads. The county footballer referred to earlier is not only a public figure but a household name. If he is arrested in connection with the possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage, outside a bar in the middle of his home town, on the weekend that his team goes out of the Ulster championship, it is obviously going to be reported somewhere. If it all gets sorted out without a prosecution, that's fine.

No one, outside their friends and families, has ever heard of the people arrested in Carmel Street. The identity of their parents should have very little to do with it. If they are convicted of an offence,which is likely to be criminal damage, they fully deserve to be punished in the normal and appropriate way. The police have said on the record that it is not being treated as a racist crime, so the background may not be a million miles away from the previous case.

If there is a middle class conspiracy here, it did not prevent all the publicity associated with a dubious intervention from the BBC. In the circumstances,  perhaps we should avoid jumping to conclusions until the evidence is presented before a court

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Oldhacker on July 03, 2009, 12:46:06 AM
Some confused thinking going on here lads. The county footballer referred to earlier is not only a public figure but a household name. If he is arrested in connection with the possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage, outside a bar in the middle of his home town, on the weekend that his team goes out of the Ulster championship, it is obviously going to be reported somewhere. If it all gets sorted out without a prosecution, that's fine.

No one, outside their friends and families, has ever heard of the people arrested in Carmel Street. The identity of their parents should have very little to do with it. If they are convicted of an offence,which is likely to be criminal damage, they fully deserve to be punished in the normal and appropriate way. The police have said on the record that it is not being treated as a racist crime, so the background may not be a million miles away from the previous case.

If there is a middle class conspiracy here, it did not prevent all the publicity associated with a dubious intervention from the BBC. In the circumstances,  perhaps we should avoid jumping to conclusions until the evidence is presented before a court

Do you think the press should have given the fact no charge was made against said footballer the same front page coverage? it was buried in a few papers and they were probably gutted no conviction for their front page.

Rav67

If its not a racist crime its certainly sectarian.  What sort of a sc**bag breaks windows at a place of worship.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 03, 2009, 12:44:28 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 03, 2009, 12:32:14 AM

Here we go- I dont get why you have a problem saying ..if proven. he has only been arrested and in this country of all places have we not learnt by now that certainly is not neccesarily mean he is guilty? Maybe he is tho... maybe not.  and before anyone says MJ there was  a bit more than an arrest leads me to be sure of his guilt..

Actually read my posts I have no problem saying it.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

HS I've already called the perpetrators of the disgust crime scumbags (not sure how much more I can show my abhorrence at this terrible crime), also you seem to have taken umbrage at my remark about "costly pint" - your getting sidetracked whether intentionally or not.

These people are animals who have attacked a place of worship - end of.

As for your final remark, I would like to think I'm generally balanced in most of my views. I was not saying drink was an excuse, only that imo drink was probably taken, just like in your opinion the lad is guilty already.
Tbc....

ludermor

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 03, 2009, 09:06:05 AM

HS I've already called the perpetrators of the disgust crime scumbags (not sure how much more I can show my abhorrence at this terrible crime), also you seem to have taken umbrage at my remark about "costly pint" - your getting sidetracked whether intentionally or not.

As for your final remark, I would like to think I'm generally balanced in most of my views. I was not saying drink was an excuse, only that imo drink was probably taken, just like in your opinion the lad is guilty already.

Why mention drink so?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ludermor on July 03, 2009, 09:14:28 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 03, 2009, 09:06:05 AM

Why mention drink so?

Jesus read my first post on this this yesterday!

I said "costly pint" at the f**king end of the post as an observation that the fellas chosen career path is now probably fucked - could you not read any f**king more into this then that please and get back to discussing the topic at hand!

Christ are youse trying to wind me up?
Tbc....

ludermor

Still dont know why the need to mention it, are you trying to say if he wasnt drinking he would have done it?
Are you not making big assumptions that drink was involved?