Racist attacks in Belfast

Started by ludermor, June 17, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 23, 2009, 05:49:09 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 23, 2009, 05:32:22 PM
Less rose sellers outside The Bot then.

I've never seen 5 day old babies selling roses Archie but whatever floats your racist boat...

It's not being racist, I was just making an observation.

And last time I was at The Bot, it was more than 5 days before the incident so would'nt have seen any 5 day old babies selling roses.

fred the red

ziggysego

City MLA warned of racist threat

Anna Lo said she had received hate mail in recent weeks

Northern's Ireland only assembly member from an ethnic minority said she has been notified of a threat to her life.

In the assembly on Monday Alliance MLA Anna Lo said police warned her at the weekend that her home may be attacked.

Ms Lo, originally from Hong Kong, has lived in Belfast for over 30 years and represents a constituency in the south of the city.

Earlier this month attacks on the Romanian community in the area forced more than 100 people from their homes.

Ms Lo said she had received some hate mail in recent weeks and will step up her security following an anonymous call to the PSNI on Saturday.

"I'm not going to be deterred by these people," she said.

"If they think that they can stop me from speaking out against them or speaking for the vulnerable people, new ethnic minority communities or migrant workers they are mistaken."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8125588.stm
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

A man arrested following an attack on a Belfast church is the son of a leading QC, the BBC has learned.

Last Tuesday, windows were smashed at City Church in the Holylands area. It was used to shelter Roma families who fled their homes after racist attacks.

Police have said they do not believe there was a link between the incidents.

One of the three men arrested was law student Niall Colton. His father is Adrian Colton QC, and his mother is also a solicitor.

Both are past presidents of the students' union at Queen's University in Belfast.

One of the three men arrested was released unconditionally.

Reports have been sent to the Public Prosecution Service in relation to the other two.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8130510.stm
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Looks like spides are owed an apology.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

What an idiot.
Afaik if he gets prosecuted does he not bar himself from practicing Law?

Costly pint.
Tbc....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 02, 2009, 01:25:57 PM
What an idiot.
Afaik if he gets prosecuted does he not bar himself from practicing Law?

Costly pint.
I think you are right - when I was at Queen's, there was a ballbag I know doing Law, who dented a car bonnet whilst "hilariously" running over cars in the Holylands. Well, he got nabbed and was on the verge of getting his card marked for criminal damage until he went crying his lamps out to the car owner not to proceed and he would pay for the damage, suck his wab etc. as he would be excluded from being a solicitor.

Slap it into him.

Donagh

Quote from: ziggysego on July 02, 2009, 12:54:18 PM
A man arrested following an attack on a Belfast church is the son of a leading QC, the BBC has learned.

Last Tuesday, windows were smashed at City Church in the Holylands area. It was used to shelter Roma families who fled their homes after racist attacks.

Police have said they do not believe there was a link between the incidents.

One of the three men arrested was law student Niall Colton. His father is Adrian Colton QC, and his mother is also a solicitor.

Both are past presidents of the students' union at Queen's University in Belfast.

One of the three men arrested was released unconditionally.

Reports have been sent to the Public Prosecution Service in relation to the other two.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8130510.stm

Maybe he can take it to the DRA on appeal!  :D

Rois

Drunken mistake by a young guy who shouldn't have done it - I'm sure some on here have done worse.

I don't know why someone told the BBC about this today - he hasn't been charged and this wasn't even in court in the last few days so seems to be someone decided to tip the BBC off.

His dad has done a hell of a lot for the GAA (not just in Tyrone).

Donagh

I doubt very much will come of it, most likely a caution or fine with a conditional discharge. He'll be more worried about the embarrassment he's caused everyone. I know of a boy who threw a chair through a window of the students union during a riot in the early 80's and is now a very respectable solicitor, despite being arrested and charged. Same boy would coincidently move in the same circles as Colton.

fitzroyalty

If this lad was a non-student from the Ormeau Rd how would things have turned out?

Causing criminal damage to a place of worship is f*cking low

Rois

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 02, 2009, 02:53:02 PM
If this lad was a non-student from the Ormeau Rd how would things have turned out?

What do you mean?

If he was a non-student (he is from the Ormeau Rd by the way), why would his name be the headline in the BBC Radio Ulster news on a day when his case isn't even in court, and when he hasn't been charged?

What he did was bad, of course, but there were others involved too - no names released there.  Wonder why?

My brother in law (strangely enough one of Colton's former pupils at the bar) was arrested when at Queens for stealing a load of free newspapers one night when he was drunk.  Had to get his lecturer to get him off so that he could practice law. 

full back

Are you defending this fella Rois ???

fitzroyalty

what i am saying is if he was from a working class background people would have a totally different view of the incident. All students need to have their wits about them on a night out and none more so than law students.

Rois

Defending his actions - where did you get that from?

I was condemning the BBC's style of selective reporting.

Ah fitzroyalty I know, stupid idiot of course, should have known better.  But to single out the family for embarrassment - just not nice.