Racist attacks in Belfast

Started by ludermor, June 17, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

holee feck
youd want to be a busybody of the highest order to know what year a certain judge took silk FFS !!

unless you were an ardent student of particular judges and their careers which I think is evident that mr donagh here is not !   :D

however your big post to try and have a go at him because he has shown you up for falsehoods in a prev thread is going way OTT is it not !

a lot of you are getting yer knockers in a big twist over who did , who did not and when abolished regarding oaths that mean very little when the judicial system was as corrupt as feck (and may still not be 100% perfect yet - see ruc/psni example)

as for racism in belfast, I had a very frank and eye opening discussion with a chinese guy living in dublin this past 9 years.
He says that the cinese community in Dublin and most of Ireland are left alone and welcomed, but their friends in the belfast region of Ireland are given dogs abuse by locals - normally unionist/oo people (his words paraphrased).
also he found that the chinese community were having more and more problems with african immigrants and it will spill over into violence soon as it is sporadic fights at the moment - over turf or just issues of immigration from what he was saying.
eye opening stuff I have to say, never thought about these two factions getting into a war with each other !
Ireland/dublin/Belfast are bad enough already !

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 04, 2009, 01:31:12 PM
as for racism in belfast, I had a very frank and eye opening discussion with a chinese guy living in dublin this past 9 years.
He says that the cinese community in Dublin and most of Ireland are left alone and welcomed, but their friends in the belfast region of Ireland are given dogs abuse by locals - normally unionist/oo people (his words paraphrased).
It is strange though that the Chinese were really the only people who came to NI during the dark years. Also strange that so many of them lived/had businesses in Loyalists areas - and still do. You would think that if they had been getting abuse, particularly from one side, that they would have moved over into neutral or nationalist/republican areas, if they were better.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 04, 2009, 01:44:33 PM
It is strange though that the Chinese were really the only people who came to NI during the dark years. Also strange that so many of them lived/had businesses in Loyalists areas - and still do. You would think that if they had been getting abuse, particularly from one side, that they would have moved over into neutral or nationalist/republican areas, if they were better.

The reason that the chinese community settled in Loyalist areas is due to the availability of housing. At that time, and it still continues, there wasnt any available houses in Nationalist areas. There where very few if any nuetral areas at that time.

Keyser soze

Remember going to a chinese restaurant in Clare one time. Most vile unrelenting racist abuse i've ever heard. Disgusting!! it was so bad that i spoke to the group of people who were the worst offenders saying that i found their views disgusting and politely asking them to can it.. They thought I was joking!! I had to spend 5 minutes getting them to understand what i was on about. Got a free feed out of it though.  :D [i know, i soundlike TF]

Also some of the views i've heard on other minority groups in the republic is despicable. From a country that takes such pride in its famed diaspora it is really puzzling, not to say disgraceful.

EG, you've obviously been lying in the long grass, i bet you enjoyed that one  :D :D

lynchbhoy

there ya go  !
you (not you personally) just cant understand people and their reasoning !

think oakleaf has given a good response regarding the housing reason - or at least one reason

but as I got this straight from a chinese guy, I have no reason to question him (he also does not know I am from the north either so it was an honest view from him!)

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 04, 2009, 03:18:04 PM

there ya go  !

think oakleaf has given a good response regarding the housing reason - or at least one reason

but as I got this straight from a chinese guy, I have no reason to question him (he also does not know I am from the north either so it was an honest view from him!)

I don't understand. I'm not denying anything you said.

As for the housing issue - did most of the Chinese who came over not open up their own businesses? They weren't allocated social housing, were they?

Evil Genius

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 03:26:23 AM
As for the housing issue - did most of the Chinese who came over not open up their own businesses? They weren't allocated social housing, were they?
Indeed. Chinese immigrant communities throughout Europe and America etc (i.e. not just NI) are well-known for being self-contained and financially self-sufficient in that they do not rely on public services for jobs and housing etc, preferring instead to support themselves.

And as it happens, in NI the stock of low-cost private housing into which Chinese immigrants typically move on first arriving, is much more heavily concentrated in Protestant/Unionist areas than their Catholic/Nationalist equivalents eg The Village.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

there ya go  !

Tends to be in belfast anyway there is no spare housing in nationalist areas (catholic areas tend to be over subscribed).
Tbc....

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 05, 2009, 09:28:58 PM

there ya go  !

Tends to be in belfast anyway there is no spare housing in nationalist areas (catholic areas tend to be over subscribed).

From what I gather, there's no excess of spare housing in Unionist areas, either. The key difference (at least as regards immigrant communities) is that in working class Unionist areas, a greater proportion of the housing stock is privately-owned, which makes it more accessible to immigrant communities starting out in NI.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Tony Baloney

Needless to say Queen's gave them a firm ticking off  ::)

Sandino

And if their Dad had been unemployed and they went to the local Tech ? Lets be honest most people seen this coming.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Rav67

...and no doubt the Colton one will come out of QUB and straight into the Institute and a job, like everyone else with a da in the legal profession in the North.  The lenient punishment has eveyrthing to do with their social class, which is a disgrace.

Rois

They've been suspended from Queen's by the way.

Tony Baloney

A joke decision by all concerned. Should have been prosecuted and expelled from Queen's.