Players grants to be axed - when will the strike start?

Started by stephenite, June 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: corn02 on June 25, 2009, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2009, 10:55:38 AM
Cavanagh is talking absolute rubbish but he's a bit part of that rabble called the GPA so what would you expect. I'd say he's very much in the minority in Tyrone with his views. People are out of work and these bucks expect a few grand for doing something they love? Loads of lads would love a few hundred for shovelling shite. Perspective is needed.

Perspective is needed indeed, and I think it should start with you calling the GPA a rabble, extremely unfair.

No its not. They talk about recognition - what they want is a % of gate money. I heard no answer to Nickey Brennans speech at congress which tells me all I need to know. A rabble is a kind description to be perfectly honest. Calling "strikes" and delaying matches by 15 minutes. FFS.

cornafean

With upwards of half a million unemployed, or soon about to be, there will be damn all public sympathy anywhere for anyone who goes on strike in the current climate, whether they are public servants, taxi drivers, airline workers or indeed GAA players. If Sean Cavanagh does not realise this, he is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ONeill

Poor statement/soundbite from Cavanagh. In the current climate (not the blue sky/hot one), he'll not only receive limited sympathy but it'll actually result in negative publicity for the grants issue.

I'm all for player grants and standing up for those you represent but to use the 'players out of work card' is extremely insensitive and rather dim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2009, 10:55:38 AM
Cavanagh is talking absolute rubbish but he's a bit part of that rabble called the GPA so what would you expect. I'd say he's very much in the minority in Tyrone with his views. People are out of work and these bucks expect a few grand for doing something they love? Loads of lads would love a few hundred for shovelling shite. Perspective is needed.
spot on.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AZOffaly

I presume big Sean is talking in a personal capacity, and out of his rear orifice, rather than in his capacity as an executive of the GPA. (I think he is secretary or something).  Although I didn't see the word 'strike' mentioned at all by him, that was an inference drawn by the 'journalist'.

If the GPA do come after the GAA, the only real victims of a 'strike', then they cannot be trusted about anything and I assume the leadership are not that silly.

ONeill

Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to strike. You'd be talking about 0% backing from the public.

AZOffaly

In fairness, I don't think the word strike was mentioned by Cavanagh. 'Some Action' was mentioned. Sure that could be refusing to shake Brian Cowen's hand in Croker.

ONeill

Or maybe a military wing: shooting the ball, kidnapping the young fellas who play at half time etc.

seafoid

The numbers from the IMF are truly shocking. Budget deficit in excess of 10% of GNP. Unemployment to head north of 15%.
Banks will probably have to be nationalised in addition to the NAMA job, 13.5% economic contraction. Every day there is more news of ineptitude and greed on a colossal scale. Today it was an article in the Irish Times about gullible punters who lost money to unscrupulous estate agents selling flats in places like Bulgaria. Yesterday was people who lost all of their deposits to a builder collapsing being told to look on the bright side because the prices of houses had fallen in the meantime. the day before was Setanta. And that's only 3 days' worth.   

If GAA wallas can't see the writing on the wall they should look around. GAA grants were a nice idea in the overheated economy but the country is virtually bankrupt today and just can't afford fripperies. 

AZOffaly

All true seafoid, but with the caveat that other areas of grants or tax breaks to sportspeople, professional or amateur should be looked at in the same way. My position on this is that GAA funds should never go to players or managers, but if the Government agrees that the players are national assets or cultural icons, then fair enough.

talktothehand

the grants might be the only thing stopping some lads from emigrating. the country is flat broke. if it was an individual it would be close to bankrupt. does the gaa pay tax or give tickets to the govt/civil service? if so this should stop. in the whole scheme of things (PARDON THE PUN) the figure we are talking about is small when you consider the benefits to the country of a strong gaa. you only have to look at the increased attendances at some games to realize that people need something to look forward to and imo the gaa gives excellent value for money and should be a source of national pride.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: talktothehand on June 25, 2009, 09:58:43 PM
the grants might be the only thing stopping some lads from emigrating. the country is flat broke. if it was an individual it would be close to bankrupt. does the gaa pay tax or give tickets to the govt/civil service? if so this should stop. in the whole scheme of things (PARDON THE PUN) the figure we are talking about is small when you consider the benefits to the country of a strong gaa. you only have to look at the increased attendances at some games to realize that people need something to look forward to and imo the gaa gives excellent value for money and should be a source of national pride.
It will be interesting to see just how many people emigrate now...  ::)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

StGallsGAA

QuoteIt will be interesting to see just how many people emigrate now...  [/quote

Sure them big air-planes go both ways.....

talktothehand

well if a lad can get 30k a year on a training cotract in the AFL and can't get a job as a joiner what's he to do?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: talktothehand on June 25, 2009, 10:34:48 PM
well if a lad can get 30k a year on a training cotract in the AFL and can't get a job as a joiner what's he to do?
Indeed.  As I said, it will be interesting to see...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something