Players grants to be axed - when will the strike start?

Started by stephenite, June 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: Gnevin on June 19, 2009, 05:06:08 PM
I could stay at home watch the match and buy a phone on ebay net lose to the country 200. I go to match a lot of that money is stay in Ireland.

You could just easily buy a crate of Jameson whiskey, log on to BoyleSports, drink yourself into a stupor and lose €200 betting on English horseracing. Even though all your money "stays in Ireland", that doesn't necessarily mean that the State should subsidise alcohol companies, online bookies or English racecourses.

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Zulu

QuoteNo VAT on tickets in the 26, so to answer your question, no. In fact it would save on the amount of Gardai it has to deploy.

That's nonsense, there may be no tax on tickets but the bottom line is there is massive money spent in this country during the year on attending IC games - food, drink, jersey's, flags, hotel accomodation, travel expenses (train tickets etc.) that wouldn't necessarily be spent in this country otherwise. There is also a massive amount of cultural value to IC GAA and it is central to the summers of a huge number of people.

QuoteAs a living, probably.

Again nonsense, I know plenty of musicians making a reasonable living through their talent. Besides a fairer comparison is with rugby and soccer players, they all wouldn't stop playing here if the tax break was abolished.

QuoteAgain, I think there are two seperate arguments. You can't justify paying amateurs on an economic basis. Its ludicrious.

There not getting paid and you justified professionals getting tax breaks on the basis of a feelgood factor and the fact you like to see top level sportsmen in this country, now that is ludicrious.

QuoteI have said that the tax break for professional sportsmen should go in the current climate.
No you didn't, what you said is there is better ways to spend the money but you don't have a problem with the tax breaks for professional players. Now, if like Indiana, you said both should be abolished I could agree with you but there is no argument for keeping one and getting rid of the other.

I'm not justifying the grants as a stand alone issue, I'm justifying them in relation to what LoI or rugby players are getting, which IMO is far more unjustified than what the GAA players are getting.

Gnevin

Quote from: cornafean on June 19, 2009, 05:44:16 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 19, 2009, 05:06:08 PM
I could stay at home watch the match and buy a phone on ebay net lose to the country 200. I go to match a lot of that money is stay in Ireland.

You could just easily buy a crate of Jameson whiskey, log on to BoyleSports, drink yourself into a stupor and lose €200 betting on English horseracing. Even though all your money "stays in Ireland", that doesn't necessarily mean that the State should subsidise alcohol companies, online bookies or English racecourses.

I could but a lot of the money spent on GAA days returns directly to the local economy which other wise could and would be lost
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

theskull1

Quote©Independent.ie

Cavanagh warns of strike action if grants get the boot

By Donnchadh Boyle

Wednesday June 24 2009

Tyrone star Sean Cavanagh has refused to rule out strike action should the players' grants be withdrawn.

Cavanagh – who also acts as secretary for the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA) – has warned that there may be serious consequences if the funding gets axed. The GPA was given a mandate by its members for strike action in late 2007 before was the funding of €3.5m was granted for the '08 season.

"The general opinion is that players would be pretty angry if GAA players were the only ones singled out," he said. "I would imagine if the GAA grants are completely thrown out, there would be some course of action maybe down the line. On what that might be I'm not too sure.

Angry

"But any players I've been speaking to, and any feedback I've been having from the GPA, is that something would be considered because they have been speaking with players from all different counties and they would be extremely angry if they (the grants) were thrown out the window."

Last season's footballer of the year believes the public would back any move the GPA might make in a bid to keep the funding given the number of inter-county players who are currently out of work. A meeting between Sports Minster, Martin Cullen, and the GPA has been pencilled in for next Monday.

"There are maybe seven or eight guys on the Tyrone squad at the minute who have no work and are seeking employment." he said.

"They really are on the breadline and to those sort of guys a couple of thousand euro towards the end of the year means an awful lot and maybe allows them to have a better Christmas."

Cavanagh also called on the GAA to rescind the red card shown to Derry's Kevin McGuckin after the pair got involved in some handbags in last weekend's Ulster semi-final.

Can someone tell me what Sean Cavanagh is saying here because I can't get a definitive position from those comments

Are they threatening action "of some description" only if it appears the GAA is singled out (which it appears they are not)?

Or

Are they threatening action "of some description" if the GAA grants are removed, end of (regardless of every other institution/orginisation loosing theirs as well)?

Can someone also ask Sean Cavanagh to comment on the plight of all the club players who are also out of work at the minute or are they relevant to the points he's making?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2009, 12:02:19 PM
Quote©Independent.ie

Cavanagh warns of strike action if grants get the boot

By Donnchadh Boyle

Wednesday June 24 2009

Tyrone star Sean Cavanagh has refused to rule out strike action should the players' grants be withdrawn.

Cavanagh – who also acts as secretary for the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA) – has warned that there may be serious consequences if the funding gets axed. The GPA was given a mandate by its members for strike action in late 2007 before was the funding of €3.5m was granted for the '08 season.

"The general opinion is that players would be pretty angry if GAA players were the only ones singled out," he said. "I would imagine if the GAA grants are completely thrown out, there would be some course of action maybe down the line. On what that might be I'm not too sure.

Angry

"But any players I've been speaking to, and any feedback I've been having from the GPA, is that something would be considered because they have been speaking with players from all different counties and they would be extremely angry if they (the grants) were thrown out the window."

Last season's footballer of the year believes the public would back any move the GPA might make in a bid to keep the funding given the number of inter-county players who are currently out of work. A meeting between Sports Minster, Martin Cullen, and the GPA has been pencilled in for next Monday.

"There are maybe seven or eight guys on the Tyrone squad at the minute who have no work and are seeking employment." he said.

"They really are on the breadline and to those sort of guys a couple of thousand euro towards the end of the year means an awful lot and maybe allows them to have a better Christmas."

There's "pay-for-play" right there in black and white.  ;)

Cavanagh also called on the GAA to rescind the red card shown to Derry's Kevin McGuckin after the pair got involved in some handbags in last weekend's Ulster semi-final.

Sweet jesus. He is Niall Quinn...  :o

Louth Exile

Yes, we believe you Sean, because the footballers of Tyrone, Cork, Mayo, Galway, Kerry, Limerick, Antrim, Cavan, Dublin, Kildare, Westmeath would all down tools at this point in the championship, the same as the hurlers of Galway, Kilkenny, Cork, Waterford, Dublin, Tipp etc. would do at this point in proceedings  ::)

We might see the footballers of Louth, Roscommon, London, Carlow and Waterford going on strike along with maybe 20 hurling teams, but who would care!!

The Cork hurlers or Tyrone footballers won't strike when the ground is good and the real game is on!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

tyrone86

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 24, 2009, 03:28:46 PM

The Cork hurlers or Tyrone footballers won't strike when the ground is good and the real game is on!

You're right, because in the event of any 'strike', Tyrone will be fielding a team as agreed at the County Convention in 2007

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: tyrone86 on June 24, 2009, 03:39:56 PM

You're right, because in the event of any 'strike', Tyrone will be fielding a team as agreed at the County Convention in 2007
What's Cavanagh mouthing about then?

Is it a case he would call on other men to 'strike' but not Tyrone men?  If that's what it is then he's a hypocrite of the highest order.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

tyrone86

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 24, 2009, 09:45:39 PM

Is it a case he would call on other men to 'strike' but not Tyrone men?  If that's what it is then he's a hypocrite of the highest order.

He can (and anyone else that way inclined) can strike if they want, the County board have to ensure a Tyrone team takes the field - end of story.

DUBSFORSAM1

Waiting to see Cavanagh receive all the personal abuse that would be directed at Dessie if he had made the same statements...

longrunsthefox

Very disapointing bit of sabre rattling from Sean Cavanagh and I doubt very much there are players in the Tyrone squad on the 'breadline' as he calls it. Is an insult to folk who are REALLY on the breadline in this society. Jees! if he knew what it is like to be on the breadline!! This rhetoric diminishes an otherwise great athlete and player.     

theskull1

I have a distant and fading memory of Dessie Farrell being a great player. Cavanagh will soon join him if he keeps up that incoherant ill considered rubbish
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

magpie seanie

Cavanagh is talking absolute rubbish but he's a bit part of that rabble called the GPA so what would you expect. I'd say he's very much in the minority in Tyrone with his views. People are out of work and these bucks expect a few grand for doing something they love? Loads of lads would love a few hundred for shovelling shite. Perspective is needed.

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 24, 2009, 09:45:39 PM

Maybe he's just throwing out the idea of a strike to see if Cork bite, them potentially being Tyrone's biggest challenge to Sam this year.  :P

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2009, 10:55:38 AM
Cavanagh is talking absolute rubbish but he's a bit part of that rabble called the GPA so what would you expect. I'd say he's very much in the minority in Tyrone with his views. People are out of work and these bucks expect a few grand for doing something they love? Loads of lads would love a few hundred for shovelling shite. Perspective is needed.

Perspective is needed indeed, and I think it should start with you calling the GPA a rabble, extremely unfair.