Galway v Kilkenny

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 16, 2009, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuotePity, really thought they'd go on and win. But Galway's legs went in the end and Kilkenny's experience held out.

Maybe Galway need to go on strike for about five months and do a bit of personal training.

A few breaks either way and either team could have won this one, the short puck out being a mistake but that is ok for all us to say now, the lad was not the sole cause of the defeat.  There was another short puck out that resulted directly in a point.  The ref had a great game as far as I was concerned, again, he can't get everything right and was brave enough to flash the red card when others would have not taken the responsibility.  As for giving Tommy Wals a red card?????  He gave him a yellow one that he just about deserved and the shennanigans around the end line with Joe Canning is part and parcel of the game and credit to Canning for giving as good as he got.  Hurling at its best, no moaning, no whining.  Galway deserve great credit for a gutsy performance and firing up the championship. They will have another day and it could well be in Croker in September - against Waterford !!

Only thing I was not happy about with Canning was his gesture to the crowd/cameras after he scored the goal aka premiership player antics and while it was not that much OTT the problem is you could have other counties replicating it and pointing to adverts on their helmets and the next thing a strike and the whole championship is frigged.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

seafoid

Quote from: Reillers on Today at 02:03:11 AM

I think what Hardstation is getting at is you are loathe to give Kilkenny any credit

It's impossible to get credit anywhere these days anawez. 

Bud Wiser

Hi Seafoid, how'r things in Morans of The Weir !

Be careful of Reillers there, he wasn't always a Galway supporter hoping they would beat the Cats.  Here is a rant of his from a year ago -  :)

QuoteI just had to listen to a half an hour of so call Galway hurling "fans" pipe on about how amazing this Galway team is, how it's better then any Cork team there ever was..ever, how Joe Canning is better then every Cork player on that team put together, that they're going to destroy Cork, that Cork only ever won AI's because they got lucky and that Sully is the biggest fattest useless piece of crap of a player they've seen and how Deane couldn't find the goal if he tried and maybe it would have been better if he never came back at all.
That was leaving a lot of of it, and it cleaned up.

So me saying that Canning is over hyped and overrated is a lot politer then what I really felt like saying.

Really like you get a complement here or there from the press, you play one or two good matches against shite teams and they think they're God's gift. I wanted to beat them yesterday but I pray to God we beat them now just to be able to go into work and f**k that in their cocky, arrogant, little faces.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Reillers on June 21, 2009, 11:43:06 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 21, 2009, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: Reillers on June 21, 2009, 02:03:11 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2009, 01:40:53 AM
What about this one Reillers?

Kilkenny          were           very            good.

Is it that difficult to type?

A little slow are we, new to the typing? It was an incredibly good match, both sides were very good..you're point being?
I think what Hardstation is getting at is you are loathe to give Kilkenny any credit
No he's just being is special little self, it was an excellent game I've said that. But they were fortunate that Galway let them get back into the game, and the fact that Galway had a man, and rightly so, sent off, while Walsh should have walked but yet again Kilkenny get away with it, the ref didn't have the bottle to send of a KK player, not many do. It's like they are exempt from the rules, all the time, and everyone knows it. 

Yes Kilkenny are exempt fromt he rules and Cody only won any of his All Irelands due to the referees. That is a fair and accurate statement.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Reillers

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 21, 2009, 12:36:24 PM
Quote from: Reillers on June 21, 2009, 11:43:06 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 21, 2009, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: Reillers on June 21, 2009, 02:03:11 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 21, 2009, 01:40:53 AM
What about this one Reillers?

Kilkenny          were           very            good.

Is it that difficult to type?

A little slow are we, new to the typing? It was an incredibly good match, both sides were very good..you're point being?
No he's just being is special little self, it was an excellent game I've said that. But they were fortunate that Galway let them get back into the game, and the fact that Galway had a man, and rightly so, sent off, while Walsh should have walked but yet again Kilkenny get away with it, the ref didn't have the bottle to send of a KK player, not many do. It's like they are exempt from the rules, all the time, and everyone knows it. 

Yes Kilkenny are exempt fromt he rules and Cody only won any of his All Irelands due to the referees. That is a fair and accurate statement.
f**k sake, did I say that, no. Surprise surprise you've halfbrains putting words into my mouth..again.
They are the best team in the country by a mile and a half. But they get away with a lot from refs and everyone..(well most hurling people, with even with the slightest of knowledge of the game,) know that KK get away with a lot from refs.

SLIGONIAN

Lets call a spade a spade, walsh was blessed to still be on the field, jees he got away with ridiculus tackles before he got booked then he fouls a lad bearing down on goal and the ref bottles it, He should of got sent off simple as that and all to often he gets away with, so expect more of the same from the one of Irelands best but dirtiest players the next day. I personnally think KK get away with there fair share aswell as reillers points out, I mean there tackling is intense but all to often the ref lets too much go in there favour and ydays game was a prime example, its not like the need any help. When a ref lets overly aggressive tackling go it hands a few points to KK, why is though on the other end they get frees a little easier. This pattern repeats itself year in year out and is the only negative in that KK team.

There were awesome aswell, the intensity Galway hit them with was out of this world and KK lived with it. God help anyone else. Just stunning. Although I thought the ref yday made them unbeatable. On the KK performance alone it would of been exceedingly hard to beat them yday  but with the ref bottling it, it made it impossible especially against a team as good as KK.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

awfulynice

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 21, 2009, 12:04:52 PM

Be careful of Reillers there, he wasn't always a Galway supporter hoping they would beat the Cats.  Here is a rant of his from a year ago -  :)

QuoteI just had to listen to a half an hour of so call Galway hurling "fans" pipe on about how amazing this Galway team is, how it's better then any Cork team there ever was..ever, how Joe Canning is better then every Cork player on that team put together, that they're going to destroy Cork, that Cork only ever won AI's because they got lucky and that Sully is the biggest fattest useless piece of crap of a player they've seen and how Deane couldn't find the goal if he tried and maybe it would have been better if he never came back at all.

So me saying that Canning is over hyped and overrated is a lot politer then what I really felt like saying.

Really like you get a complement here or there from the press, you play one or two good matches against shite teams and they think they're God's gift. I wanted to beat them yesterday but I pray to God we beat them now just to be able to go into work and f**k that in their cocky, arrogant, little faces.

Jesus Reillers you got the whole joe canning thing wrong in that quote! He destroyed cork in the championship last year and has destroyed KK in the championship this year...he is the real deal and if he continues in the same vein of form as last night id expect an all star and player of the year gong to be heading his way in september.

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on June 21, 2009, 12:52:35 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 21, 2009, 12:04:52 PM

Jesus Reillers you got the whole joe canning thing wrong in that quote! He destroyed cork in the championship last year and has destroyed KK in the championship this year...he is the real deal and if he continues in the same vein of form as last night id expect an all star and player of the year gong to be heading his way in september.

That was a year ago when I was incredibly pissed off, and my opinions changed since, I don't know why Bud wasted his time searching for it, clearly hasn't much else to do. Can't remember saying it but I'll take your word for it Bud, clearly you've a much better memory then me..and apprently nothing better to do either.
But now I'd be a great admirer of the lad, he's amazing, and while I think we should hold off and naming a day after him like some may think, but he's one serious player and the pressure he handles is ridiculous.
I mean the entrance fee alone is worth it just to watch him play. Saw him against Cork, and I think you can only appreciate how good he is when you see him doing what he does best up close with your own eyes. And like I said, he was worth the entrance fee.
And I think this sums him up perfectly.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/no-ordinary-joe-1698171.html

Bud Wiser

QuoteThere were awesome aswell, the intensity Galway hit them with was out of this world and KK lived with it. God help anyone else. Just stunning.

And there you have it in a nutshell.  It was a cracking game of hurling and the word intensity is not wasted.  This was hurling at its best yesterday and the ref played a major part in letting the game flow, it's not marbles or tennis we want.  The skill level in yesterdays game was pure class from both teams, as a matter of fact I was praying for a draw at the end.  Think of what the thousands who watched this game yesterday got in terms of value for money as opposed to what went on in McHale Park yesterday.  The foul on the forward running through by Tommy Walsh was about as "dirty" as a child hitting his mams bum with a tennis raquet.  I am at a loss as to where this "dirty hurlers" tag is coming from in regard to the Cat's all of a sudden.  Three championship games ago they were the perfect team, the greatest team of all time, an example of how the game should be played, awesome, etc, etc, etc, and after the stood up to Fitzgeralds antics (and in particular Tommy Walsh) before a ball was struck in last years AIF they suddenly became cheaters.  FFS !!?   

Joe Canning, and in fact all the Galway lads yesterday gave it their best shot, they played like men and gave as good as they got in every area of the field.  It was a tough game for both sides but as far as I am concerned it is the type of hurling I want to see.  There is always Wimbledon or the 'Confederations Cup' or cricket but there is never anything like a good game of hurling which is what we got yesterday and the only pity was that one team had to loose.  Criticising ref's or picking out players for special criticism and allegations is hard to swallow, particularly if the criticism is coming from a county man whose team have been on strike for six months.

Reillers

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 21, 2009, 12:50:39 PM
Lets call a spade a spade, walsh was blessed to still be on the field, jees he got away with ridiculus tackles before he got booked then he fouls a lad bearing down on goal and the ref bottles it, He should of got sent off simple as that and all to often he gets away with, so expect more of the same from the one of Irelands best but dirtiest players the next day. I personnally think KK get away with there fair share aswell as reillers points out, I mean there tackling is intense but all to often the ref lets too much go in there favour and ydays game was a prime example, its not like the need any help. When a ref lets overly aggressive tackling go it hands a few points to KK, why is though on the other end they get frees a little easier. This pattern repeats itself year in year out and is the only negative in that KK team.

There were awesome aswell, the intensity Galway hit them with was out of this world and KK lived with it. God help anyone else. Just stunning.

Agreed, not according to the Leinster lads above who seem to know feck all about hurling.

But the level of intensity that Galway had yesterday was insane and brilliant to watch. It was a real physical, passionate game. The fact is that they matched Kilkenny in a lot of areas and on another day if the breaks hadn't gone KK's way, Galway would have won it, and maybe with a few points to spare. Galway have a lot of potential and they are just a stunning team to watch at times.

awfulynice

There were awesome aswell, the intensity Galway hit them with was out of this world and KK lived with it. God help anyone else. Just stunning. Although I thought the ref yday made them unbeatable. On the KK performance alone it would of been exceedingly hard to beat them yday  but with the ref bottling it, it made it impossible especially against a team as good as KK.

I dont understand your view here. If you are trying to say that Galway would have beaten KK yesterday because of the ref you are very much mistaken. I cant see where KK get any biase from  refs, Hurling is an intensive agressive game, you are allowed to tackle agressively but fairly and this is what KK do. Sure there are some things the refs let go or dont see, but this will be without biase. Now perhaps you could make a claim that KK are  better at concealing fouls and perhaps they are cuter at doing this. But to try and say they are a dirty team is unfair and unproven. They are pure class, they have 6 forwards that will put the ball over standing on the side line, no other team in the country has that. Their scoring to chances ratio is miles ahead of everyone else and this is as much a credit to their  backs as it is to their forwards as they make teams work extremely hard for their scores.

Bud Wiser

QuoteAgreed, not according to the Leinster lads above who seem to know feck all about hurling.

Back to beating the old drum again I see.   

awfulynice

Quote from: Reillers on June 21, 2009, 01:06:35 PM

There were awesome aswell, the intensity Galway hit them with was out of this world and KK lived with it. God help anyone else. Just stunning.

Agreed, not according to the Leinster lads above who seem to know feck all about hurling.

But the level of intensity that Galway had yesterday was insane and brilliant to watch. It was a real physical, passionate game. The fact is that they matched Kilkenny in a lot of areas and on another day if the breaks hadn't gone KK's way, Galway would have won it, and maybe with a few points to spare. Galway have a lot of potential and they are just a stunning team to watch at times.

I gurantee you here and now reillers that had KK their full team yesterday they would have beaten galway by 7 - 8 points and will do so if they meet them again in the championship. KK just have too much for any team around at the moment. Missing vital players they showed the strenght of their squad and given them good championship experience. Galway played well, but to my mind that is their optimum..they cant really get any better and gave absolutely everything and still came up 4 points short, whereas KK can say we were missing 3 - 4 players and played badly for half an hour! If KK are missing the same players for the Leinster final I can see Wexford / Dublin giving them a right rattle aswell.

Reillers...can i ask have you / do you play hurling?? To what level??

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on June 21, 2009, 01:15:52 PM
Quote from: Reillers on June 21, 2009, 01:06:35 PM

I gurantee you here and now reillers that had KK their full team yesterday they would have beaten galway by 7 - 8 points and will do so if they meet them again in the championship. KK just have too much for any team around at the moment. Missing vital players they showed the strenght of their squad and given them good championship experience. Galway played well, but to my mind that is their optimum..they cant really get any better and gave absolutely everything and still came up 4 points short, whereas KK can say we were missing 3 - 4 players and played badly for half an hour! If KK are missing the same players for the Leinster final I can see Wexford / Dublin giving them a right rattle aswell.

Reillers...can i ask have you / do you play hurling?? To what level??

I'm sure they would, but I was talking about yesterday. Not a couple weeks from now, not with different teams, yesterday. The game we just saw. And yesterday Galway matched Kilkenny all over the park. I could do the exact same as what you're doing by saying what if Galway had a fully fit Canning..etc. We'll never know. But YESTERDAY Galway matched Kilkenny and were unlucky, had a break or two gone their way, to not beat Kilkenny.

And not like it's any of your business or why I should justify myself to you, but yes of course I play (unlike I can only presume one or two above here) am very involved in the club and I even played minor...once..as a sub..in a trial game, I was amazing.  ::) ::) DO you play at all yourself, more of a soccer lad, I'd say ya?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: awfulynice on June 21, 2009, 01:07:29 PM

I dont understand your view here. If you are trying to say that Galway would have beaten KK yesterday because of the ref you are very much mistaken. I cant see where KK get any biase from  refs, Hurling is an intensive agressive game, you are allowed to tackle agressively but fairly and this is what KK do. Sure there are some things the refs let go or dont see, but this will be without biase. Now perhaps you could make a claim that KK are  better at concealing fouls and perhaps they are cuter at doing this. But to try and say they are a dirty team is unfair and unproven. They are pure class, they have 6 forwards that will put the ball over standing on the side line, no other team in the country has that. Their scoring to chances ratio is miles ahead of everyone else and this is as much a credit to their  backs as it is to their forwards as they make teams work extremely hard for their scores.

Im not calling KK a dirty team so dont start insinuating stuff, I am however calling Walsh dirty, but as I said one of the best players ive ever seen aswell. He is beyond cynical in all aspects of tackling, he will not let the forward get past him at all costs no matter what he has to do. This is an obvious observation lads whether ye like it or not. He most certainly got bias from the ref yday, without doubt in my mind. Losing him would have handed victory to Galway IMO. A bold statement but in a tight game that yard gained would of turned it Galways way.

I will also say that KK not having a full team yday does worry me, Galway not having taken advantage of that, KK are supreme but the ref needs to have a pair of balls when it comes to walsh and overly agressive tackling, although him letting so much go added to the entertainment but there is a middle ground, yes let the game flow but not at the expense of fair play. Im not saying anyone cheated either just he bottled a major call and all to often handed KK easier won frees compared to Galway.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"