Confederations Cup 2009

Started by The Real Laoislad, June 14, 2009, 11:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

USA 2-0 up with 15 mins to go  :o

magickingdom

some performance by the US against the the worlds no 1... think spain are on a 35 game unbeaten run

ExiledGael

I always get the feeling Torres doesn't like Villa, or certainly doesn't like playing up front with him.

tyssam5

Great results for the US. Hanging on by a ball-hair, but broke away to get a 2nd. Strong Spain team out as well.

magickingdom

Quote from: hardstation on June 24, 2009, 09:26:12 PM
People referring to foreign soccer teams as "US" bugs the shite out of me.

your going to have to give me a dispensation there hardstation... tho obviously a proud kerryman i spent the first 4 years of my life in NY....

Puckoon

Great result, they worked like crazy for each other, tackled like they'd just watched the 2003 AISF Tyrone Kerry game before they stepped out!

What do you reckon magickingdom?;-)

stew

The yanks just played themselves into a top ten spot in the world and have to be considered a threat at the WC finals.

They are good to watch, tremendously athletic and they take no prisoners, it helps that there are no prima donnas out there for them and they play hard for one another.

Jay Demerit, a defender that plays for them played for the Howard Hurricanes soccer club, a team I now coach for. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tyssam5

Quote from: stew on June 24, 2009, 10:11:34 PM
The yanks just played themselves into a top ten spot in the world and have to be considered a threat at the WC finals.

They are good to watch, tremendously athletic and they take no prisoners, it helps that there are no prima donnas out there for them and they play hard for one another.

Jay Demerit, a defender that plays for them played for the Howard Hurricanes soccer club, a team I now coach for. ;D

Bar Landon, though he did work his arse off today.

tyssam5

Quote from: hardstation on June 24, 2009, 09:26:12 PM
People referring to foreign soccer teams as "US" bugs the shite out of me.

Glad to hear it.

Archie Mitchell

Did you see Landon Donovan's theatrics when Villa nudged into him near the end?

stew

Quote from: tyssam5 on June 24, 2009, 10:21:40 PM
Quote from: stew on June 24, 2009, 10:11:34 PM

Bar Landon, though he did work his arse off today.

He is the hardest worker on the field any time I watch them, he is not a prima donna as far as I am concerned and he is a wonderful player and always shows up on the big stage.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Stew, let's not get carried away just yet, and here's why.

1. Too often the USA have flattered to decieve after a huge result like this.
2. Landon, good player but often goes missing. I felt he worked his arse off today and is much more productive on the left side than that lone upfront role that arena liked him in in a few games.
3. I think he sensed that America were on the cusp of a great result today and that's why he busted himself more then I've ever seen before. All they need now is clint dempsey to add a little work rate to his game and they'd be good across the middle.
4. They need to keep that black centre back (won't attempt the spelling here) fit too.

All in all a good performance but it won't help the cause if they roll over against the brazilians.

Minder

Is there a 3rd place playoff or can Torres have a well earned rest ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Minder on June 24, 2009, 10:47:04 PM

He won't be having much of a rest. He is going on tour with Liverpool now, not sure where, and it was in the contract that Torres MUST play.

gawa316

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 24, 2009, 10:48:10 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 24, 2009, 10:47:04 PM

He won't be having much of a rest. He is going on tour with Liverpool now, not sure where, and it was in the contract that Torres MUST play.

Tour to Singapore and Thailand isn't til 22nd July or so, so I'm sure he'll get a couple of weeks off :o