Gaelic Football on BBC Breakfast

Started by carnaross, June 13, 2009, 08:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Have Glasgow Rangers not linked up with the GAA recently?

stpauls

a few of you will be surprised to hear that a few of us on the board (myself and DubsForSam) have represented our 'county' already in the World Gaelic Football Championships back in 2002.
we played for Europe during the championship in Portmarnock that year, in the week leading up to the All-Ireland (what a week that was), and although it wasn't of a very high standard, it has happened.
it would be a great day when a team outside Ireland won Sam, but unfortunately the logistics could be a major issue!!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 25, 2009, 02:18:34 PM
Noticed this on the Man City Website earlier today:

QuoteFree fun in the park with CITC

"City in the Park" is coming your way next month. City in the Community will be providing a wide range of sports and activities in a park near you this summer, completely free. The project, which is funded by the Premier League/PFA Community Fund and supported by Sport England and Manchester City Council, is geared to providing young people with the chance to experience new sports in their own neighbourhood.

Sports will include:

Handball
Gaelic football

Lacrosse
Tri-golf
Tag rugby

All these non-traditional sports will be played alongside mainstream sports such as football, cricket and basketball. There will also be arts & crafts, dance and much more available.

"City in the Park" is aimed at eight- to 13-year-olds, the only requirement being that a consent form is completed by a parent or guardian. The project is open access, so booking is not required. Consent forms will be available on the day or can be posted upon request.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6635098

Are there any other soccer/rugby clubs in England offering similar schemes in their area's?
Would significantly increase the numbers involved in GAA if they did, as if the big soccer/rugby clubs are offering free schemes during the summer, large numbers will be going on the basis the big club providing it, and could in turn increase the awareness of the GAA and also increase teams/playing numbers in that area.

Am I the only one who thinks it not a little "curious" that GAA clubs happily rely on soccer and rugby clubs etc to organise GAA games etc, or permit GAA clubs to use/rent their facilities etc, yet there is a ban on GAA clubs returning the favour?

P.S. That was a strictly rhetorical question, designed to provoke thought not argument, and so does not require a reply.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on June 25, 2009, 02:21:02 PM

I seem to recall something about Rangers helping to promote the GAA in Glasgow. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not, as it sounds kinda strange.
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2009, 03:32:39 PM

I seem to recall something about Rangers helping to promote the GAA in Glasgow. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not, as it sounds kinda strange.

One for "Ripley's Believe it or Not!", I think:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0302/1224242084065.html
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stpauls

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 25, 2009, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on June 25, 2009, 02:18:34 PM
Noticed this on the Man City Website earlier today:

QuoteFree fun in the park with CITC

"City in the Park" is coming your way next month. City in the Community will be providing a wide range of sports and activities in a park near you this summer, completely free. The project, which is funded by the Premier League/PFA Community Fund and supported by Sport England and Manchester City Council, is geared to providing young people with the chance to experience new sports in their own neighbourhood.

Sports will include:

Handball
Gaelic football

Lacrosse
Tri-golf
Tag rugby

All these non-traditional sports will be played alongside mainstream sports such as football, cricket and basketball. There will also be arts & crafts, dance and much more available.

"City in the Park" is aimed at eight- to 13-year-olds, the only requirement being that a consent form is completed by a parent or guardian. The project is open access, so booking is not required. Consent forms will be available on the day or can be posted upon request.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6635098

Are there any other soccer/rugby clubs in England offering similar schemes in their area's?
Would significantly increase the numbers involved in GAA if they did, as if the big soccer/rugby clubs are offering free schemes during the summer, large numbers will be going on the basis the big club providing it, and could in turn increase the awareness of the GAA and also increase teams/playing numbers in that area.

Am I the only one who thinks it not a little "curious" that GAA clubs happily rely on soccer and rugby clubs etc to organise GAA games etc, or permit GAA clubs to use/rent their facilities etc, yet there is a ban on GAA clubs returning the favour?

P.S. That was a strictly rhetorical question, designed to provoke thought not argument, and so does not require a reply.

to be honest, and from my own experience in Munich, i don't find it 'curious', as you put it, that the GAA clubs need to use/rent soccer and rugby club facilities as gaelic pitches would not exactly be readily available in the likes of Europe and the UK, so the only alternative is to approach the clubs for use of their facilities. we would prefer not to have relied on them to provide these facilities, and have our own grounds, but the funds were just not available to do so.

ziggysego

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 25, 2009, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 25, 2009, 03:32:39 PM

One for "Ripley's Believe it or Not!", I think:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0302/1224242084065.html

I'm going to have to start questioning my dreams and day-dreams now. Are they real or not??  :D
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: stpauls on June 25, 2009, 03:40:18 PM
to be honest, and from my own experience in Munich, i don't find it 'curious', as you put it, that the GAA clubs need to use/rent soccer and rugby club facilities as gaelic pitches would not exactly be readily available in the likes of Europe and the UK, so the only alternative is to approach the clubs for use of their facilities. we would prefer not to have relied on them to provide these facilities, and have our own grounds, but the funds were just not available to do so.
So in places like GB/Europe, where GAA clubs are often short of funds, it's OK for them to go cap in hand to their local soccer or rugby club for help and assistance.

But in Ireland, where GAC's are often well off for funds, should a (poorer) local soccer or rugby club come to them for help or assistance, then they can bugger off.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/linfield-pitches-in-to-help-camogie-team-train-for-match-272264.html
versus
http://www.kerryman.ie/news/pitch-battle-gaa-and-soccer-club-in-dispute-1693508.html

Altogether now: "Neighbours, Everybody needs Good Neighbours..."  :o
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stpauls

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 25, 2009, 04:54:30 PM
So in places like GB/Europe, where GAA clubs are often short of funds, it's OK for them to go cap in hand to their local soccer or rugby club for help and assistance.

But in Ireland, where GAC's are often well off for funds, should a (poorer) local soccer or rugby club come to them for help or assistance, then they can bugger off.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/linfield-pitches-in-to-help-camogie-team-train-for-match-272264.html
versus
http://www.kerryman.ie/news/pitch-battle-gaa-and-soccer-club-in-dispute-1693508.html

i knew i shouldn't have bitten but sure here goes:

where in my post did i mention it was ok for them to go 'cap in hand' as you put it, they don't go asking for money, or to be given use of their pitches for nothing, because in Munich we have to pay for use of the soccer club's facilities.
with regards to your second point, i can't be arsed going into it, and i am sure you will gloat over your moral victory, but there are to many reasons to go into why this rule is in place, and i have my point of view on it. it may or may not be right in your eyes, but personally, i don't care.

full back

Quote from: stpauls on June 25, 2009, 05:03:58 PM

versus

where in my post did i mention it was ok for them to go 'cap in hand' as you put it, they don't go asking for money, or to be given use of their pitches for nothing, because in Munich we have to pay for use of the soccer club's facilities.
with regards to your second point, i can't be arsed going into it, and i am sure you will gloat over your moral victory, but there are to many reasons to go into why this rule is in place, and i have my point of view on it. it may or may not be right in your eyes, but personally, i don't care.

Schoolboy error stpauls, schoolboy error :-\

Archie Mitchell

versus

Those are 2 completly different scenarios. The second one was discussed at length on the board before.

stpauls

Quote from: full back on June 25, 2009, 05:04:53 PM

versus

Schoolboy error stpauls, schoolboy error :-\

i know, but having been involved in a club that had no option but to go to a soccer team looking for use of their facilities, i couldn't help myself.
i will know to bite my tongue the next time though!

Evil Genius

I'm sure Munich GAC is quite prepared to pay a fair rent for pitches etc. But even where soccer or rugby clubs are similarly prepared to pay to rent from their local GAC, it's still  a case of "No Can Do".

Anyhow, my post was prompted by this aspect of 'Archie Mitchell''s original post (emboldened):

Sports will include:
Handball
Gaelic football
etc"

Exactly, you "don't care" when you have the whip hand, but isn't it lucky that whichever Munich soccer club your GAC rents from doesn't take the same approach?  ::)

P.S. You're right about one thing: you shouldn't have bitten... :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

illdecide

versus

Correct EG...Usually it's better to give than recieve but in this case it's better to recieve than give... :D :D

I'll give you your due's saaaan, your quick of the mark with your info ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stpauls

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 25, 2009, 05:16:12 PM

I'm sure Munich GAC is quite prepared to pay a fair rent for pitches etc. But even where soccer or rugby clubs are similarly prepared to pay to rent from their local GAC, it's still  a case of "No Can Do".

Anyhow, my post was prompted by this aspect of 'Archie Mitchell''s original post (emboldened):

Sports will include:
Handball
Gaelic football
etc"

Exactly, you "don't care" when you have the whip hand, but isn't it lucky that whichever Munich soccer club your GAC rents from doesn't take the same approach?  ::)

P.S. You're right about one thing: you shouldn't have bitten... :D

actually, my 'i don't care' comment was in regards to you getting your moral victory, but sure don't let that stop you thinking you got one over on us'uns!!
soccer and rugby clubs over here don't have to go begging GAA clubs for use of their grounds, they get free facilities provided for them by their local councils, yet the GAA are left out in the cold. just like the current development plans in Holywood. a £4.5 million pound project to provide Holywood soccer club with a brand new ground, and the rugby club with a new ground and pavilion, but what did we get, nothing but an 'ah sure we will let you use our facilities as long as it suits us, and providing we have nothing else going on at the time'. same old bullshit!