20 (42.6%)
Charcoal
23 (48.9%)
Hate BBQs
4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

delboy

Quote from: Gnevin on June 11, 2009, 10:32:58 PM
Charcoal  has great taste but is far too much effort.

BBQ food is the way to go, Im not talking about grilling which in fairness regardless of whether you do it on gas or charcoal is what most people do, im talking about proper BBQ with slow cooked food and subtle use of wood smoke (oak, apple hcikory etc).

After tasting proper BBQ you wouldn't go back to 'grilled' stuff and its much more relaxed. Several hours before, light chimney starter, 10 mins later throw into smoker, place food in smoker, sit back and drink copious amounts of beer while you wait on the guests arriving, remove food from smoker and enjoy delicious proper BBQ  :)

This is the type of one i use

and this is the type of food you can look forward to eating  :)

ribs

pulled pork

ziggysego

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 11, 2009, 10:22:08 PM
Gas for convenience

Charcoal for the taste

I'd agree with Gab here.
Testing Accessibility

delboy

Quote from: Tyrones own on June 11, 2009, 11:08:14 PM
I have a weber Gas one but I also picked up a Weber Smokie joe...it's one of them wee 16" round yokes
and I got one of them coal starters that you light with paper also, mighty job.. ready to go in 15 minutes then
simply pour the hot coals onto the grate.

Don't know if you've tried it before but try using the lid (contrary to popular belief it isn't for keeping the rain out  ;) ) light the charcoals and push them to one side, put the food on the other side of the BBQ, put the lid down and let the food cook by indirect heat, it'll take longer but the upside is that the food gets infused with the charcoal smoke and you don't have to be constantly flipping the food to stop it burning, use the vents on lid and the side of the BBQ to control the heat.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: delboy on June 12, 2009, 02:44:01 PM

BBQ food is the way to go, Im not talking about grilling which in fairness regardless of whether you do it on gas or charcoal is what most people do, im talking about proper BBQ with slow cooked food and subtle use of wood smoke (oak, apple hcikory etc).

After tasting proper BBQ you wouldn't go back to 'grilled' stuff and its much more relaxed. Several hours before, light chimney starter, 10 mins later throw into smoker, place food in smoker, sit back and drink copious amounts of beer while you wait on the guests arriving, remove food from smoker and enjoy delicious proper BBQ  :)

ribs

pulled pork

rib roast

Hmmm, those fails look nice.

bingobus

Thats looks the proper job. Do they sell these in Ireland?

BBQ food is the best when its done right, often its just cooking outside but I've been to a few where the person cooking knows what they are at and the food is very tasty.

Drumanee 1

this is my BBQ,it's a great article

8)

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on June 11, 2009, 10:29:07 PM
BBQs should be banned. The biggest heap of shite. I understand the concept, in that, in roasting hot countries cooking indoors is horrendous.

We (most of us) live in Ireland. BBQs are not needed.

1) The food tastes burnt. Rotten.
2) The person having the BBQ says "It's a lovely day. We're having a BBQ. Starts about half 5." You get there at half 5. They say, "Ah f**k, the food isn't cooked yet". You wait 'til half 6 before you take your first bite of carbon. You have been sitting outside for an hour on a shitty wee plastic seat, freezing your ballix off. By the time you have finished eating the shite, you're shivering.
3) Why, just because you have had a BBQ, do you have to sit outside for ages after you've finished eating? We live in Ireland and it is f**king freezing.

Fcuk, I hate BBQs.

Hear Hear

Btw what's the story with a gas bbq, surel you might as well cook the food (properly) on your gas cooker inside and then, since you feel the need to eat outside (mind those flies and hope it doesn't get too windy though) take your food out to that garden set you bought 3 years ago (and by fcuk but you're going to get the value out of it) and eat it there.

bingobus

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 12, 2009, 03:08:05 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 11, 2009, 10:29:07 PM
BBQs should be banned. The biggest heap of shite. I understand the concept, in that, in roasting hot countries cooking indoors is horrendous.

We (most of us) live in Ireland. BBQs are not needed.

1) The food tastes burnt. Rotten.
2) The person having the BBQ says "It's a lovely day. We're having a BBQ. Starts about half 5." You get there at half 5. They say, "Ah f**k, the food isn't cooked yet". You wait 'til half 6 before you take your first bite of carbon. You have been sitting outside for an hour on a shitty wee plastic seat, freezing your ballix off. By the time you have finished eating the shite, you're shivering.
3) Why, just because you have had a BBQ, do you have to sit outside for ages after you've finished eating? We live in Ireland and it is f**king freezing.

Fcuk, I hate BBQs.

Hear Hear

Btw what's the story with a gas bbq, surel you might as well cook the food (properly) on your gas cooker inside and then, since you feel the need to eat outside (mind those flies and hope it doesn't get too windy though) take your food out to that garden set you bought 3 years ago (and by fcuk but you're going to get the value out of it) and eat it there.

Baa Humbug or whatever the summer version is.

BBQ's are great, avoiding the above cases, we'll get about 4/5 really good weekends a year to have one and the above won't apply.

delboy

Quote from: bingobus on June 12, 2009, 02:59:48 PM

Thats looks the proper job. Do they sell these in Ireland?

BBQ food is the best when its done right, often its just cooking outside but I've been to a few where the person cooking knows what they are at and the food is very tasty.

I had to get my from the england, i guess there isn't much of a market for them over here. They aren't the cheapest thing (circa 200 quid plus postage) but they are built to last (some people have had theirs for several decades and they're still going strong) and they do produce food with the most amazing flavours.

Can actually be quite economical to cook with i did four organic chickens (they were on offer) last week and i used about 2 kg of charcoal and I could easily have cooked more if i'd wanted to.

Rois

You're dead right bingobus, for me they're a social occasion, not an audition for Masterchef Al Fresco.  

Going to one tomorrow night, it's an excuse to get everyone together and have a few drinks and some relaxed banter.

I have a lovely pink gas bbq and have hardly used it, all you doubters can call round next Sat eve when I will be having a red and white themed pre-match night in Belfast.  Might just splash out on a patio heater too.  Cause it is Ireland after all.

rosnarun

why would anyone BBQ teak with charcoal do you not like the taste of meat?
If you have only cheap burger or sausages thats one thing but i've seen too many steak desecrated to look fondly on BBQs
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

delboy

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 12, 2009, 02:58:04 PM

Yeah those links lasted all of about 2 mins, hopefully fixed now  :)

delboy

Quote from: rosnarun on June 12, 2009, 03:24:57 PM
why would anyone BBQ teak with charcoal do you not like the taste of meat?
If you have only cheap burger or sausages thats one thing but i've seen too many steak desecrated to look fondly on BBQs

Agree, steaks go in the pan, expensive tender meat like that is wasted in a BBQ IMO, cheap cuts of beef like brisket though are an entirely different matter, one of those done properly is a taste sensation (better than a steak  :o IMO ).

SidelineKick

Quote from: delboy on June 12, 2009, 03:27:14 PM

I was wondering what Nail was on about! Twit.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: delboy on June 12, 2009, 03:27:14 PM

Aye fixed now, the ribs look good...