Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2015, 10:02:07 AM
Quote from: CD on March 28, 2015, 09:34:13 PM
Omagh half marathon today! Had an absolute nightmare run. Was hoping for 1.35 or just under. Ran a decent first 5 miles in 35 minutes, an uncomfortable next 5 in 40 minutes and a nightmare last 3.1 when I had to run through treacle to the finish. Could barely lift my legs. I'm so used to always finishing with a couple of fast miles and it's never happened before. Had no energy, felt sick etc. A combination of a really bad couple of months with injuries and head colds I think. Have only ran four times in the past few weeks and assumed I'd have no bother with this! So wrong. Last 3.1 was 29 minutes!
Great event - great organistIon etc.

Hard luck CD. 1.35 would be a splendid time, you probably started off way to quick? Was there hills after first 5 miles?
It felt like a succession of hills to me MR but that was just the place I was in! I was freezing cold for last few miles. I ran 7.10 minute miles in Bundoran 2 weeks ago really comfortably so felt confident I could go out and run the same. Just had a really bad day! I'll put it down to experience and move on! How're you running?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Not much in terms of improvement... Wouldn't take me long to get to my pbs from last year have just be so busy with new job and was in England for 7 months, so getting back into it.need to target a race to maybe push me on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

CD - that run reminds me of my Omagh half in 2014. Just couldn't put my finger on it but didn't enjoy the run and it felt like a real effort. On the day I put it down to two things - felt I started too far back at the start and was ducking and weaving at the start through the town, very hard to get settled in a pace and then from the 10 miles to home, I just felt that long drag out of the town seemed to never end. Only when you turned off the back road by the river near Healy park and run for home did I feel like I was running again.

Just didn't enjoy the run that day and it was a real effort. And its a great race with big crowd and run to perfection, so no fault there.

Never entered my head to run it again this year.

Had longest run of the year yesterday, a grand 12 miles and it was great, 3 of us ran together and was great to have the company and it flew by. Pace felt easy, which was a surprise as it was 7.35 per mile but it was very consistent for the whole run, makes all the difference.

magpie seanie

Just building up again and had mapped out a nice 5.5 mile route near the house on roads I hadn't ran on (and one I hadn't ever been on!) before. Took a wrong turn and ended up having to go back and added a mile to myself. Completely underestimated one hill and all told it was a lot tougher than I'd planned. Feel great since. The long runs really bring you on. That was the final phase of rebuilding the base I reckon. Another good 3-4 weeks and I'll be in pretty good shape.

The bright mornings and bit of stretch in he evenings is motivation in itself. Love the longer runs. When you relax into your rhythm it's great.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 31, 2015, 03:33:15 PM
Just building up again and had mapped out a nice 5.5 mile route near the house on roads I hadn't ran on (and one I hadn't ever been on!) before. Took a wrong turn and ended up having to go back and added a mile to myself. Completely underestimated one hill and all told it was a lot tougher than I'd planned. Feel great since. The long runs really bring you on. That was the final phase of rebuilding the base I reckon. Another good 3-4 weeks and I'll be in pretty good shape.

The bright mornings and bit of stretch in he evenings is motivation in itself. Love the longer runs. When you relax into your rhythm it's great.

A long easy run is just hard to beat.

Good to see you back at it. You committed to any races?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on March 31, 2015, 05:04:08 PM

Good to see you back at it. You committed to any races?

Not yet and I know I need to. I was just trying to get a base level before I thought about anything. I'm going to do the Warriors Run again in August. Will be looking for 10k's and would like to do a 10 miler in 4-6 weeks. There's a 5k/10k/10miler in Easkey, Sligo on April 21st. Might have a crack at the 10k.

laoislad

I use to think that but I'm enjoying doing the faster interval stuff at the moment.
Maybe it's because I did so many long runs for marathon training so it's nice just doing shorter faster runs right now.
I'm actually liking the pain of doing hill repeats at the moment  ;D

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on March 31, 2015, 05:42:11 PM

I use to think that but I'm enjoying doing the faster interval stuff at the moment.
Maybe it's because I did so many long runs for marathon training so it's nice just doing shorter faster runs right now.
Aye, enjoy the challenge of a interval session, I've a fartlek on the cards tomorrow.....3 mins on with 90 seconds jog recovery x 8-10 reps depending on how it goes...
Have an eye on a 10k first Sunday in May and the Achill half in July, tough course..hill at 10 miles that has an ambulance parked at the top...enough said...

Some amount of races though, the popping up everywhere....I remember a few years ago it was a mission to find a race!

ballinaman

Boycey

Quote from: ballinaman on April 01, 2015, 11:25:06 PM
David Rudisha Doc

http://youtu.be/PXBYrKdx7og

Good man, I must have a gander at that.

I was lucky enough to be in the stadium when he broke the world record at the 2012 Olympics, a memory that will live with me forever...

Bingo

This sprung into my head yesterday doing a tight interval session in the pouring rain out at the track round the field. Must say it was a great runout and enjoyed it in the end, but on second interval I was struggling to see any enjoyment  ;D. Did a 2km warm up, then 1km, 90sec jog, 1.5km, 1min jog, 2km, 1min jog, 1.5km, 1min jog, 1km, 1km cool down. The intervals done at 5km pace.

Great run out and the last 1km was by far the fastest but I did really go for it, legs felt great in fairness.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on April 02, 2015, 10:36:37 AM

This sprung into my head yesterday doing a tight interval session in the pouring rain out at the track round the field. Must say it was a great runout and enjoyed it in the end, but on second interval I was struggling to see any enjoyment  ;D. Did a 2km warm up, then 1km, 90sec jog, 1.5km, 1min jog, 2km, 1min jog, 1.5km, 1min jog, 1km, 1km cool down. The intervals done at 5km pace.

Great run out and the last 1km was by far the fastest but I did really go for it, legs felt great in fairness.

You must be feckin bullet proof!

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 02, 2015, 05:22:26 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 02, 2015, 10:36:37 AM

You must be feckin bullet proof!
Serious session! 60 second breaks after 1km intervals is an eye opener of a session!

Many from gaaboard have a strava account? I'd set up a group....v easy, just link your garmin or whatever GPS you have to strava account, updates automatically...

laoislad

Yeah go on set up a group BM.

I'm doing 1km x 5 at goal 5k pace with 400m jog in between for my intervals.
Though my goal 5k pace is probably Bingos rest jog pace!

Then every other week I'm doing 400m fast as I can with 400m jog inbetween and I'm up to 12 sets at the moment hoping to get up to be able to do about 20.

Also throwing in a few hill repeats which I actually really like even though they are tough.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

I use my phone and the mapmyrun app. A guy I run with some times has a GPS watch and his recordings of our pace and distance are always more favourable and I'm not talking by a small amount.

What am I looking at costs wise for a decent GPS watch? Any advice? Is there and app for the phone for Strava?