Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I have high foot arches and use insoles.  They're dear enough - I paid over 200 sterling including appointments...

They would help me a lot to be honest. I got diagnosed with having a problem with the metatarsal joint and they've made a good difference since I got them. Basically my big toe on the left foot locks on impact so these insoles counteract this. I used to get back alignment issues non stop and rarely if ever get them any more.

That being said one key point is that core strength is key to less injuries so that is something to think about too.Muscles like glute med are key and a good tip for anyone would be to stretch the hip flexors and stretch them a load as they can be the root of a lot of problems.

CD

Quote from: Just Puck It on July 29, 2014, 12:10:51 PM
Do any of you use insoles when running? Having to visit the physio more and more often with problems with my ankles and calves and she has said it's time to do something preventative rather than trying to fix the problems after they arise. She says I'm an over pronator (feet land on the ground outside first) and that I've really high arches so need to go for a proper gait analysis. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this and what sort of money could I expect to spend?

I wear a custom made pair all the time. Provided by the NHS post injury as part of rehab so I didn't have to pay for them thankfully. They're solid plaster of some kind and initially I thought I'd never be able to run in them but now I couldn't wear any footwear without them. I certainly have less knee pain as a result and the definitely helped with lower back pain. I now wear a neutral/cushioned shoe for exercise all the time.

Be careful with your regular footwear as I find it can add to problems - don't wear very flat shoes - converse or flipflops and buy good everyday shoes for work etc. I wear trainers to work as often as I can get away with it as dress shoes give me problems.

As Tommy said, I was encouraged to work on core strength to resolve knee issues and had various sessions of yoga and pilates as well .
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 29, 2014, 08:38:55 AM
Instead of doing Dublin this year, i am planning to give sea to summit a go in Westport in November, just wondering if anyone on here has done it or knows anything about it, Also, our local 10k is on Saturday at 12 in Tourmakeady, if anyone wants to come along, the race is chipped timed and there is a technical t-shirt too, plenty of tea and sandwiches after!!

Done it a few years ago An Gaelgoir and hope to do it again this year. There is a sprint run and the supreme . The supreme starts with a 4k run from the castlecourt hotel down to the pier , from there you cycle out to croagh Patrick about 8k I think , then its up a down Croagh Patrick (some lunatics go up and down the mountain in less than 50 minutes) after Croagh Patrick you have a 35k cycle (fairly tough I thought ) back to Westport and a 4k run to finish. Really enjoyed the event however this year im going to spend more time training on the bike than I did the previous times that I did the event.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

laoislad

Whose the smart hoor that changed my goal from finishing the Marathon to winning it!!! My guess is Milltown Row.
I'm off for a run now will update table when I get back.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on July 31, 2014, 07:30:43 PM
Whose the smart hoor that changed my goal from finishing the Marathon to winning it!!! My guess is Milltown Row.
I'm off for a run now will update table when I get back.

Feck off  ;D 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Done, you'll hammer past that target soon enough good luck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Fair play to you! Cheers.

laoislad

There was a couple of times I did a mile or two extra but I'm pretty much sticking to the plan.
That's my total in Kilometers BTW..is that what you're using?
Isn't that what everyone is using?

CD

Quote from: laoislad on August 01, 2014, 07:04:15 AM
There was a couple of times I did a mile or two extra but I'm pretty much sticking to the plan.

I thought you were  machine Laoislad! I was thinking you were doing some really serious miles :D

Just back from 11 miles with a parkrun halfway! Managed to do it in just over 22 mins in the worst conditions I think I've ever ran in. Was saturated before I got out the driveway and clobbered in mud to the knees. It has been absolutely chucking it down here since 4am!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on August 02, 2014, 12:50:42 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 01, 2014, 07:04:15 AM

I thought you were  machine Laoislad! I was thinking you were doing some really serious miles :D

Just back from 11 miles with a parkrun halfway! Managed to do it in just over 22 mins in the worst conditions I think I've ever ran in. Was saturated before I got out the driveway and clobbered in mud to the knees. It has been absolutely chucking it down here since 4am!

Brilliant running in those conditions, friend of mine did the Waterworks and said it was the WATERWORKS!!. Fair play. Played in an over 35's hurling game up at the Bear Pit this morning, fecking chucking it down but was brilliant craic meeting up with past hurlers from the club, enjoyed it immensely.

laoislad

I dunno if it's all the extra miles I'm doing or the heart rate training but I've just smashed my 10k personal best time by nearly 90 seconds,coming in just over 50mins.
50'14 to be exact.
I wasn't even trying to as I was wearing the heart rate monitor and was keeping it in the 80-85% zone as today was a pace run on my marathon training program.
It was only when I finished I realised my time. I reckon if I pushed myself I would have easily been under 50mins but as I was keeping an eye on my heart rate I didn't know I was so close to going under 50min.
Great feeling all the same and it proves something is working!

CD

Quote from: laoislad on August 02, 2014, 04:22:31 PM
I dunno if it's all the extra miles I'm doing or the heart rate training but I've just smashed my 10k personal best time by nearly 90 seconds,coming in just over 50mins.
50'14 to be exact.
I wasn't even trying to as I was wearing the heart rate monitor and was keeping it in the 80-85% zone as today was a pace run on my marathon training program.
It was only when I finished I realised my time. I reckon if I pushed myself I would have easily been under 50mins but as I was keeping an eye on my heart rate I didn't know I was so close to going under 50min.
Great feeling all the same and it proves something is working!

Great running - something's working whatever it is!! I've never considered hr when running. I figure if it's still beating then I'm fine!  ;)

laoislad

I think he means did you fall off the treadmill...!

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on August 02, 2014, 08:24:18 PM

I can see how it might look like that, but there is a full stop.

I meant the running fell off hence the lower kms.

BTW we are all using kms, aren't we?
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2014, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 02, 2014, 08:24:18 PM

I can see how it might look like that, but there is a full stop.

I meant the running fell off hence the lower kms.

BTW we are all using kms, aren't we?

I bloody hope so!!!