Author Topic: Running  (Read 300663 times)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
Re: Running
« Reply #5370 on: November 18, 2016, 07:42:18 AM »
It's the same with any of these formulae. Twice distance requires a good bit more endurance. if you have trained yourself well and have that endurance...

Basically if you do the long runs then it can work. If you don't no chance.

Also marathon tempos a very good idea.

moysider

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: November 22, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
My half marathons are around the hour and a half mark. Legs were cramping after but felt ok apart from that.

The rule of thumb is double the half marathon time and add 20 mins. My best is 5 minutes shy of that benchmark but think it is attainable. If you follow a good programme sensibly and it goes well on the day you should come under the 3.30.

I'd be happy with that equation but does it really work? (Providing you stick to program)

Ah, I dunno. The McMillan guide is good for predicting times up to a half marathon based on times over shorter distances. But  it is way too optimistic about marathon time. The 'add 20 mins' is much more sympathetic than McMillan and it is still unrealistic for a lot of runners. There are so many considerations involved in a marathon. A good plan is crucial. However a lot of people set the bar too high with a target time, and the plan they follow to get it means they end up overcooked and bet before they ever run the marathon. On the other hand some people run better marathon times than what they have done in shorter distances would suggest. It is not an exact science. I saw a fella this year that did a 10k in 45mins in August and did Dublin Marathon in low 3:30s. That is extraordinary, especially considering he would be closer to 60 than 50 yrs. old and has done feck all running. There are so many variables I suppose.

No1

• View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: November 26, 2016, 10:52:50 PM »
Anyone do Seeley today? Great race for times but I hate the laps round Ormeau so I gave it a miss!

Milltown, highly recommend Amsterdam Marathon (my first and last)! Dead flat course and great support at stages with a few surreal sights on the way round! Great spot for the apres race also!!

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: December 20, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
I've recently been getting a pain in neck when out running, right down in beside my collar bone. Usually on the right hand side but has been on the left as well. Anyone experienced this before or any ideas what might be causing this?
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

TheOptimist

• Stay til the end
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: December 20, 2016, 08:45:18 AM »
I've recently been getting a pain in neck when out running, right down in beside my collar bone. Usually on the right hand side but has been on the left as well. Anyone experienced this before or any ideas what might be causing this?

Used to get a lot of pains in my neck, done a lot of running but was putting it done to driving and office work. Only started to get better when I joined the gym 3 months back and neck hasn't felt better in years. I've read since big cause of neck and back pain is strength related.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »

Used to get a lot of pains in my neck, done a lot of running but was putting it done to driving and office work. Only started to get better when I joined the gym 3 months back and neck hasn't felt better in years. I've read since big cause of neck and back pain is strength related.

This feels more like a stitch and passes at a while. I'd do quite a lot of shoulder and upper back exercises in the gym so would be relatively confident is nothing to do with muscular weakness.

haranguerer

• View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: December 20, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
I've had it before - first noticed it doing cross country at school, so not related to sitting at a desk for hours on end, nor anything muscular I don't think; like a stitch is a good description, as it passes. It could just be a cramp of sorts, but I never got to the bottom of it, and it usually didn't endure for long enough to really concern me. Let me know if you find out what causes it

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:35 AM »
I've had it before - first noticed it doing cross country at school, so not related to sitting at a desk for hours on end, nor anything muscular I don't think; like a stitch is a good description, as it passes. It could just be a cramp of sorts, but I never got to the bottom of it, and it usually didn't endure for long enough to really concern me. Let me know if you find out what causes it

I'm not what you'd call an experienced runner so I've no idea if body acclimatising to things is part of it. I'm doing this advent running challenge that involves running 30 mins every day of advent for 30 mins and I usually cover 5-6k in that so by no means a frightening pace. Possibly something to do with barely being above beginner level.

ballinaman

• MWWSSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: December 20, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
Do you have asthma?
Might be a breathing issue, could be apical breathing...using upper lobes and chest excessively.
Try and engage your diaphragm more, plenty of YouTube tutorials for diaphramatic breathing.
Simple test is to breathe in fully through your nose and then out. Keeping your mouth closed and pinch your nose, walk at a brisk pace and count the number of steps you take before you feel uncomfortable and have to take a breath.
If you're unable to take at least 20-30 steps comfortably then you might want to try the diaphragm breathing exercises. Elite athletes can take 60+ steps usually.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:42:38 PM by ballinaman »

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: December 20, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »
Gallsman u could have an AC sprain. This happens from benchin etc. Sufferin from this myself at the minute. There is a video on youtube on how to test if it is indeed this sprain

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: December 20, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »

I'm not what you'd call an experienced runner so I've no idea if body acclimatising to things is part of it. I'm doing this advent running challenge that involves running 30 mins every day of advent for 30 mins and I usually cover 5-6k in that so by no means a frightening pace. Possibly something to do with barely being above beginner level.

Diving into that without doing going regularly may possibly be your problem!!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

redzone

• View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: December 20, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
I had pain in collarbone!shoulder once, only came when running, I got by back cracked by a Physio. He said my pelvis was ever so slightly of line. Seemed to cure it

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: December 27, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
Getting new trainers this week, want to get a decent pair for doing long runs in my build up for marathon training, any decent deals on at minute? I've always bought asics

Ran every day since being off, been torture due to late nights and copious amounts of food and alcohol!!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:13 PM »
Just done a lap of craigavon lakes. Bloody hell I have lost some running fitness in the last few months

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
Looking through my Strava stats for the year and I'm 26 miles short of 1000 miles for the year.. doubt I'll get a Marathon in between now and midnight tomorrow!