Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

Did the Cara 10 mile today. Beautiful morning - has to the nicest race on the calendar! Managed to go almost 10 mins faster than last year! All good!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Has been a better month of training for me in March. Hadn't really done much this year so far but have got a lot of nice runs in.
Trying to do more interval training and hill runs to take a shot at a few pb's this year.

Going to do a few park runs soon and then do all the Dublin race series again. Haven't decided yet on doing the Marathon again this year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Thinking about Achill half marathon on July 4th and Amsterdam marathon 18th October.

Amsterdam supposed to be a very flat course, guaranteed entry and get a weekend out of it too. Any interest here?

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on March 23, 2015, 09:50:14 AM
Thinking about Achill half marathon on July 4th and Amsterdam marathon 18th October.

Amsterdam supposed to be a very flat course, guaranteed entry and get a weekend out of it too. Any interest here?

A few of the Rockets done Amsterdam a few years back, very flat course and great start/finish in the stadium. One part of it they didn't like was part of the route that heads out into the countryside along a canal or river, its an in/out route at that stage and they said it was very quiet and boring but that may not impact on you as you'll be bombing along anyway. Outside of that they really enjoyed it, great support in city, decent numbers but not totally crowded at start so you could settle into your own pace reasonably early.

And of course they'd a great night out after it!

Be too soon after Berlin for me.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on March 23, 2015, 09:59:46 AM

A few of the Rockets done Amsterdam a few years back, very flat course and great start/finish in the stadium. One part of it they didn't like was part of the route that heads out into the countryside along a canal or river, its an in/out route at that stage and they said it was very quiet and boring but that may not impact on you as you'll be bombing along anyway. Outside of that they really enjoyed it, great support in city, decent numbers but not totally crowded at start so you could settle into your own pace reasonably early.

Sound, that's me sold so. Ya, don't give 2 shites about scenery really. If i want to look at a view, I'd get a open bus tour of the place!
Berlin will be class, heard it's a ridiculously well run marathon...no surprises there so. When are you starting?

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on March 23, 2015, 10:09:26 AM
Quote from: Bingo on March 23, 2015, 09:59:46 AM

Sound, that's me sold so. Ya, don't give 2 shites about scenery really. If i want to look at a view, I'd get a open bus tour of the place!
Berlin will be class, heard it's a ridiculously well run marathon...no surprises there so. When are you starting?

Didn't think you would! Will be plenty of scenery after the run  ;)

Talking about scenery, we where meeting for the sunday morning run yesterday and Conor Duffy was out. You might have seen his name about, ran U23 XC Europeans this year and doing really well. Anyway, he was chatting and saying he'd not be going too hard, it was an "over the hedge" run in that he out for a chat and look round. Him and another lad got ready to go then and said they'd start at 6min mile pace and hold it steady till the last few! Over the hedge me arse!!

Leave it to the Germans to run something well. Looking at a few plans at the minute and will start in earnest towards end of May. Targetting the Newry half for a go at sub 1.30, take a week off and then build up for Berlin. Just to get a plan that I like and can commit to. Doing about 4 runs a week at the minute, so tipping along with a 10miler on Sunday. A few of us going to start building that up now.

magpie seanie

Thinking of Achill myself. Running has not gone well this year for various reasons but am back at it now and am giving that half marathon serious consideration.

lfdown2

Question for you all, I think I remember a 2 day team event last year somewhere out west, can you refresh my memory of where it was and if anyone knows if its on this year again - remember thinking at the time it would be great craic but wasn't at home for it, cheers

Bingo

Quote from: lfdown2 on March 23, 2015, 12:59:29 PM
Question for you all, I think I remember a 2 day team event last year somewhere out west, can you refresh my memory of where it was and if anyone knows if its on this year again - remember thinking at the time it would be great craic but wasn't at home for it, cheers

Could be wrong but was it the Solus relay that was in Sligo? Heard a few bad things about it, lack of organisation, poor facilities and lack of stewarding but others seemed happy with it.

lfdown2

Quote from: Bingo on March 23, 2015, 01:48:33 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on March 23, 2015, 12:59:29 PM

Could be wrong but was it the Solus relay that was in Sligo? Heard a few bad things about it, lack of organisation, poor facilities and lack of stewarding but others seemed happy with it.

Close enough, was able to find it based on that, its sionnachrelay.com disappointing to hear the bad reviews because I love the sound of it - possibly teething problems (assume it was its first year last year and add in wishful thinking)

laoislad

We should enter a gaaboard team!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2015, 12:11:12 PM

Thinking of Achill myself. Running has not gone well this year for various reasons but am back at it now and am giving that half marathon serious consideration.

I have been pathetic since doing a half in November. I've put on over half of the weight I lost last year too. It is time to do something about it.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on March 23, 2015, 03:58:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2015, 12:11:12 PM

I have been pathetic since doing a half in November. I've put on over half of the weight I lost last year too. It is time to do something about it.

Good man. I have been the same but a good week starting Paddys Day has me started off and thinking optimistically. Have a deadly 3 mile hill circuit starting and finishing at my house that's a really good time efficient run. Just back now, feel great.

CD

Omagh half marathon today! Had an absolute nightmare run. Was hoping for 1.35 or just under. Ran a decent first 5 miles in 35 minutes, an uncomfortable next 5 in 40 minutes and a nightmare last 3.1 when I had to run through treacle to the finish. Could barely lift my legs. I'm so used to always finishing with a couple of fast miles and it's never happened before. Had no energy, felt sick etc. A combination of a really bad couple of months with injuries and head colds I think. Have only ran four times in the past few weeks and assumed I'd have no bother with this! So wrong. Last 3.1 was 29 minutes!
Great event - great organistIon etc.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on March 28, 2015, 09:34:13 PM
Omagh half marathon today! Had an absolute nightmare run. Was hoping for 1.35 or just under. Ran a decent first 5 miles in 35 minutes, an uncomfortable next 5 in 40 minutes and a nightmare last 3.1 when I had to run through treacle to the finish. Could barely lift my legs. I'm so used to always finishing with a couple of fast miles and it's never happened before. Had no energy, felt sick etc. A combination of a really bad couple of months with injuries and head colds I think. Have only ran four times in the past few weeks and assumed I'd have no bother with this! So wrong. Last 3.1 was 29 minutes!
Great event - great organistIon etc.

Hard luck CD. 1.35 would be a splendid time, you probably started off way to quick? Was there hills after first 5 miles?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea